Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:25:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: FEAR OF THE DARK solo horror skirmish wargame  (Read 16843 times)

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
Re: FEAR OF THE DARK solo horror skirmish wargame
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2022, 08:48:14 PM »
I recently got back into painting miniatures after a bit of a hiatus and have been looking for a fun skirmish game. I like the fact that it can be played solo and have found the mechanic quite novel--I really enjoyed Gloomhaven, though I am beginning to wonder if my girlfriend and I will ever actually finish all of the scenarios.

I was wondering if anyone might be able to recommend an approximate quantity or type of miniatures to get started. I have some Copplestone Gun Mols that think might work (aesthetically at any rate) and some Reaper Ghouls which I think might also be on theme as there are a number of stories in the extended Lovecraft mythos which feature them. Then again, I am guessing that the scenarios likely call for specific types of enemies and antagonists. I suppose I will have to buy a copy of the rules to find out. Anyway, this looks like a really exciting project.

You don’t need loads of figures & it’s easy to use other Miniatures as stand ins
There’s a full list on the Facebook group here’s a link
https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Fear%20of%20the%20Dark%20-%20Scenarios%201-8%20Requirements.pdf?token=AWyEvXsSRk38kojOiL2qK_7wShjBJwIAVDCSDvdI40KFXqDRH9CT_7LnHFwYZ6Sc7rTPNvQl0uIc6iSRv6SMCuGdY2XJY_ZoY7NB5ZMUCoQZfYV1eiNralMQ5F5ZsVGsMqPh2skye7qZ5s3RUW8cIcx4fffqPiI81k10bWybN1TcjH95tCNSnN1CSIUBvTvPWYN2mGTOQiyPCS5kcP-N3ck7zjtTlXDCNgLIMz5NiDPS07XVYakoobgA3EfjqKaUym0
Hopefully it works.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 08:50:32 PM by aircav »

Offline ignis-fatuus

• Assistant
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2022, 09:01:48 PM »
You don’t need loads of figures & it’s easy to use other Miniatures as stand ins
There’s a full list on the Facebook group here’s a link
https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Fear%20of%20the%20Dark%20-%20Scenarios%201-8%20Requirements.pdf?token=AWyEvXsSRk38kojOiL2qK_7wShjBJwIAVDCSDvdI40KFXqDRH9CT_7LnHFwYZ6Sc7rTPNvQl0uIc6iSRv6SMCuGdY2XJY_ZoY7NB5ZMUCoQZfYV1eiNralMQ5F5ZsVGsMqPh2skye7qZ5s3RUW8cIcx4fffqPiI81k10bWybN1TcjH95tCNSnN1CSIUBvTvPWYN2mGTOQiyPCS5kcP-N3ck7zjtTlXDCNgLIMz5NiDPS07XVYakoobgA3EfjqKaUym0
Hopefully it works.

Thank you, just what I was looking for. In terms of protagonists, are their stats and description defined in each scenario or do you have the ability to create your own characters? For now, I will work with that table you provided as best that I can.

Offline tereydavi

• Librarian
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2022, 09:09:45 AM »
As aircav said, there is a list provided by one of the players that states what kind of miniatures you Will need.
Besides you may use whatever miniatures you have that , more or less, fit the descripción of that kind of figures.

In the ruleset It's explained how to create the characters that form your warband, and you are free to create them as you like.

There is a blog and a Facebook group for the Game (look for "Fear of the Dark skirmish wargame") if you have any doubt.
Fear of the Dark skirmish wargame blog (rules, scenarios, general articles...)

https://fearofthedarkskirmishwargame.blogspot.com/

Offline tereydavi

• Librarian
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2022, 12:57:03 PM »
A year ago...
Time flies...

A year ago I published Fear of the Dark, a solo skirmish wargame based on the world of Madness created by HP Lovecraft.

It works as a call of Cthulhu RPG scenario played with miniatures and designed from the very beggining to be played solo or full coop.

Right now this wargame is quite a big deal as the price is 10€/11'50$ and you receive the full ruleset with four scenarios, four extra scenarios more and a campaign, making It a more than 260 Pages game...

8 scenarios, one campaign and the full ruleset... But It has not ended as there Will be more free scenarios for those Who bought the Game.

Right now I'm working on a second edition of the Game and Will be sent for free to everyone Who buys the Game, so if you buy It right now as the second edition is published It Will be sent for free.

If you are interested and want more information just visit the blog made for the game or the Facebook group searching for Fear of the Dark solo skirmish wargame

https://fearofthedarkskirmishwargame.blogspot.com/2021/03/what-is-fear-of-dark.html?m=1

Offline tereydavi

• Librarian
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2022, 12:05:44 PM »

Hi! I just wanted to let you know how every project is going on:

1. I already started editing the layout for the second edition of Fear of the Dark, I Hope It doesn't take too long, but It's a more than 260 Pages file...

The rules Will suffer some changes and some things Will be clearly explained. The layout Will be slightly modified as well.

Apart from that, the Game Will be written without gramatical mistakes or typos.

As you know I'm not an english native speaker, but several members from this group have taken their time to help me and correct the text so that It is properly written.

The Game Will be published in two separate books: one with the rules and four scenarios and a second book with four scenarios and the campaign.

Everything Will be uploaded to wargamevault and Will be free for all those Who already had bought Fear of the Dark.

2. New scenarios for Fear of the Dark... well... I have a lot of ideas, but two of them are really appealing: one dealing with a fishy town similar to Innsmouth and another one dealing with an expedition in the sands of egypt.

I have developed all the possible "paths" in the first one and just need to write it down. I´ll be playing this one this week or the next one, as soon as I have all the terrain ready.
Remember: keep your deep ones ready...

(and as an addition this scenario would include a skirmish battle between US soldiers and hoards of monsters, as a preview of the following project ↓ )

3. The ww2 (and weird ww2) rules are working properly. After a lot of playtesting most rules have been changed once and again, but it seems that I have reached a point where they are stable and work as I want. So it just would need a lot of scenarios, and as they are quite simple to write (not as Fear of the Dark ones) I hope I can write a few and have the ruleset finished in the next few months. After that it would need a long photography session and some time of edition to make the layout.

This project is going to take more time than I expected, as I´m trying to do my best and dont want to make mistakes or leave aside important aspects of the game, but this game is something I really want to do, and I want all of you to play and enjoy it.

And this is it...

Of course I dont know how long will it take me to do each of these projects as I, the same like you, also have a real life that needs its time (job, kids, social life, everyday problems...)

I hope I have time and go step by step to finish all of them as soon as possible.

Offline tereydavi

• Librarian
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2022, 11:38:05 AM »
Fear of the Dark skirmish wargame is back with a second edition!

After a year and a half from being published an improved edition is available: Rules have been checked and modified, the AI controlling the enemies has been made easier to use, layout has been improved, typos have been corrected and checked...

Fear of the Dark 2nd edition is now available and it is made of two books including the whole set of rules (tokens, cards and everything needed to play), eight scenarios and a short campaign... more than 260 pages full of chances to fight nameless horrors...

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2022, 01:15:16 PM »
Great news, and very kind of you to make it a free upgrade for existing owners :D

Now I just need to paint up the Cthulhu figures from the CMON games I bought at the start of the year ;D

Offline tereydavi

• Librarian
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2022, 11:43:36 AM »
I thought It was fair to make It free for all those that have been into.this Game from the very beggining.

The Cthulhu:death may die miniatures are perfect for this Game!

Don't forget to take some.pcs and post them un the Facebook group or on.this thread!!

Offline tereydavi

• Librarian
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2022, 07:26:59 PM »
How is It going, fellow investigators?

I'm writing this just to let you know why I have been so silent since I made Fear of the Dark second edition.

After ending the second edition I started to work in two projects at the same time:

1. A ww2 ruleset which would include a weird twist

2. An Innsmouth campaign for Fear of the Dark

I started writing the Innsmouth campaign which I wanted to be big (as that setting deserves) but I got hyped with the Ww2 ruleset.

I have played Fear of the Dark a lot last year, and when I started playtesting the Ww2 ruleset I got hyped and realised that I needed a change of setting.

A full time work and two kids that keep growing don't let me much spare time for hobby, so I have decided to work in the Ww2 ruleset and once It is finished go back to the Innsmouth campaign.

I Hope you understand this decision, It Will take some time til I'm back with Fear of the Dark but It's not going to be abandoned at all.

As I keep Painting miniatures, making terrain, searching for ideas... I'll make posts for Fear of the Dark, and I Hope you do the same and when you Paint, build or see anything related to Fear of the Dark just take a pic and post It in this group.

I'll be back soon with the Innsmouth campaign and many other ideas as soon as I end the Ww2 ruleset, one of those ideas involves a group of investigators following the trail of a German expedition dissappeared in the sands of egypt while looking for an ancient artifact...

About the Ww2 ruleset, it is working better than I thought allowing for solo/coop/PvP skirmishes keeping them fast and easy to play even when you use more than 30 miniatures per side.

The rules are quite easy but allow for a wide range of tactical decisions.

The rules are almost finished (infantry, vehicles, stealth missions...) including the player VS player and Solo modes, and now I'm making scenarios for a campaign but to make them is a joke compared to a single Fear of the Dark scenario.

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2022, 10:18:09 AM »
Sounds very interesting

Offline tereydavi

• Librarian
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2023, 01:08:47 PM »
This is a review I have written (full of pictures, of course) on Rubicon Models City Walls Set to use them when playing @
I think it´s a great and highly detailed set and not expensive at all.

https://fearofthedarkskirmishwargame.blogspot.com/2023/05/rubicon-models-city-walls-review.html

Offline jcook119

• Lurker
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2023, 02:11:57 PM »
First, thank you for the review of the Rubicon wall set. I love Rubicon vehicle models, but have not yet gotten any of their terrain.

Second, a weird WW2 skirmish game? COUNT ME IN! Please keep us updated on your progress. It will give me something to do with all of my Bolt Action minis since I don't get to play much.