Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:54:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Setting Jhamjarhistan Ablaze!  (Read 30647 times)

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
Re: Setting Jhamjarhistan Ablaze!
« Reply #120 on: June 02, 2021, 01:06:36 PM »
Awesome stuff, you crazy Devonian  :-*

Many thanks, my Lord. Your 'Back of Beyond' collection inspired me!

Can’t wait to get them into action.

Doug

6 more riflemen to finish that unit, then I start work on your other major unit, the Jhlobinski Regiment. They were apparently a bunch of ne'er do wells, so may not be quite as elite as your bodyguard!

To all LAFers, any information available on the Jhlobinski Regiment? I haven't been able to find much except a mention in 'Mission to Tashkent' by F. M. Bailey.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #121 on: June 02, 2021, 03:14:10 PM »
Trotsky's tachanka might be in a sticky situation here in Jhamjarhistan. Out on a recce, the Bolos have stirred up a hornet's nest. A troop of Basmachi from the fierce warrior hill-tribe of the Basmati have elected to pursue the tachanka in the hope of capturing that lovely machine gun for themselves. Maybe they will take a few heads for sport, as well!

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #122 on: June 02, 2021, 10:23:39 PM »
More great stuff.  Love the Feck banner and Zeppelin crew.  :D

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #123 on: June 03, 2021, 02:53:50 AM »
The FECK banner is too perfect.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
    • Pygmy Wars : Russian Civil War and Related Stuff
« Reply #124 on: June 03, 2021, 05:53:39 AM »
To all LAFers, any information available on the Jhlobinski Regiment? I haven't been able to find much except a mention in 'Mission to Tashkent' by F. M. Bailey.

A revolutionary detachment from Zhlobin (Belarus) arrived in the Turkestan in mid-1918, as Red forces fell back from Orenburg.

I imagine it was merged into a "regular" regiment as they tried to form the Red Army proper, say the 1st Turkestan Soviet Regiment, but it probably kept its name unofficially for a while. 

http://militera.lib.ru/h/kozlovsky_e/02.html

Curprum might find something more in Сафаров Г., Колониальная революция (Опыт Туркестана) but I doubt there is very much.

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #125 on: June 03, 2021, 08:22:27 AM »
There is this little snippet as a possible thread to follow as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Kirillovich_Baranov

Joining the Zhlobin Revolutionary Regiment of the Red Army in March 1918, Baranov fought in battles against the White Orenburg Cossacks of Alexander Dutov. As a platoon commander of the regiment, he fought on the Trans-Caspian Front against British troops and White forces from July. After the regiment was shifted to the Turkestan Front in October, Baranov transferred to the 1st Orenburg Consolidated Cavalry Regiment in April 1919, serving as a platoon commander in fighting against the Basmachi movement in Fergana Oblast.[2] He was contused in battle in 1918.[3]

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
    • Pygmy Wars : Russian Civil War and Related Stuff
« Reply #126 on: June 03, 2021, 09:41:17 AM »
A bit more here: https://military.wikireading.ru/hawg06N3du

At the request of the Turkestan Council, Zinoviev sent a Moscow regiment, and Zhlobin and Kazan detachments from Aktyubinsk to Tashkent. It should be noted that these detachments refused to fight on the Orenburg front and demanded that they be sent to Central Russia through Tashkent and Krasnovodsk (which at that time was under the control of the Bolsheviks). So the fighting qualities of these units, to put it mildly, were not up to par. The Moscow regiment, upon arrival at the front in Turkestan, rebelled. Most of its soldiers and commanders, including the commissar of the detachment Pereverzev, ran over to the enemy, and it was disbanded.

I know the Kazan unit fought on the Ashkabad front, and it seems the Zhlobin one did too.

During the first offensive of the Reds on Kaakhka on August 26, the commissar of the Kazan regiment Gunzburg [7] and the commander of the communist detachment Samtsov [8] were captured. The commander of the Zhlobin detachment, Rosenberg, was killed.

In early October, the 1st Turkestan regiment, Kazan and Zhlobin detachments were withdrawn from the front line to Merv and Chardzhui - the rear base of the troops.

After this the Zhlobin unit seems to disappear. Were they pulled back to be reorganised into another unit?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 10:06:55 AM by Mark Plant »

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #127 on: June 03, 2021, 11:31:49 AM »
More great stuff.  Love the Feck banner and Zeppelin crew.  :D

Thanks, trev and FramFramson. When I saw that FECK picture I knew it had to go with the missionaries from Craggy Island!

Mark Plant and trev, many thanks for those leads on the Zhlobin regiment. I will follow up on all that useful information, thanks for posting.   :)   :)

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #128 on: June 06, 2021, 01:47:15 PM »
At the behest of His Holiness the Golden Shred, the Sticky Monks are crossing the Pamir mountains in search of the Jīn de Guǒjiàng Guàn de Nián Shén, or as we shall refer to it, the Golden Jhamjarh of Sticky Gods. Led by the Revered Silver Shred, the five monks head towards a tiny, remote village in search of sustenance. Here, they are confronted by a contingent of General Xiǎobiàn Hú’s bandit army.

It seems as if the General is in charge, but there is a sinister moustachioed presence, being transported in the palanquin. One of the monks, the Blessed Lemon Curd feels a sense of tremendous evil emanating from that elderly, green-robed man. Although the monks do not know it, it is of course the feared leader of the Si-Fan Tong, Dr. Fu Manchu.

General Xiǎobiàn Hú who refers to himself as a graduate of the "University of the Green Forest" (i.e., a bandit) is unknowingly being used as a tool by the evil Doctor for his own ends. Dr Fu Manchu knows that both fascism and communism present major obstacles to his plans for world domination and he is using the Warlord’s army to exterminate local communists.

However, the bandits do not know that the Sticky Monks are highly skilled in the ancient martial art of Ja-Mi. They begin to learn this ancient martial art at the tender age of five, when they are forced to eat their breakfast jam, standing on one leg.

One of the monks, the Pious Apricot uses the bow, a rarity in Ja-Mi. The rest of the monks unsheathe their naginatas and the fight begins…

To be continued...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 12:29:25 PM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

Online Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #129 on: June 06, 2021, 05:20:15 PM »
Well, well.....This is all looking rather tasty. I reckon the Silver Shred's boys will have them on toast......

Doug

Offline Mike Blake

• Scientist
  • Size Does Matter! - 54mm - The One True Scale
« Reply #130 on: June 07, 2021, 12:17:06 PM »
Brill! Who are the guys in the photo and what was the source please?
Size Does Matter! - 54mm - The One True Scale

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #131 on: June 07, 2021, 12:25:04 PM »

Thanks. The Sticky Monks are mainly Perry Miniatures, I think (some might be Warlord). The Chinese are all Pulp Figures, apart from the two with their left hands in the air, they are Copplestone (topless swordsman may be Copplestone too?).

I reckon the Silver Shred's boys will have them on toast......

lol   lol   lol
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 12:28:28 PM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

Offline Mike Blake

• Scientist
  • Size Does Matter! - 54mm - The One True Scale
« Reply #132 on: June 07, 2021, 12:36:59 PM »
Sorry I meant the real guys in the real photo!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #133 on: June 07, 2021, 07:17:19 PM »
That photo's been up a couple times around here... I'm pretty sure they're bandits, but can't recall any other details.

Online Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #134 on: June 07, 2021, 07:40:51 PM »

For a brief, crazy moment, I thought Mike was referring to the 3 gents in the Much Piddling photo :o

Doug