Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:59:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686488
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Setting Jhamjarhistan Ablaze!  (Read 30312 times)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: Setting Jhamjarhistan Ablaze!
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2021, 09:25:31 PM »
Partly done, but currently in a queue!
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2021, 05:36:46 PM »
Partly done, but currently in a queue!

Sounds like my life!   ;)

At Djeli Palace, things were taking a sinister tone for Chippy Minton, one might even go as far as to say that Chippy was in a very sticky situation indeed (acknowledgement to trev, see previous post). Minton was in the stickiest situation he’d known, ever since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun. Chippy was ostensibly on ‘shooting leave’ from his regiment, the West Borsetshire Foresters. This was a euphemism used by the British to describe officers unofficially poking about in countries where they were not necessarily welcome. The British had always feared the Russian threat to the Raj and officers on ‘shooting leave’ were quite often, players in the Great Game, spying on Russian activity beyond the borders of Afghanistan and Persia in Central Asia.

Chippy Minton had entered Jhamjarhistan in the hope of discovering what was happening there. There was obviously a Bolshevik threat to Jhamjarhistan itself and currently, so Chippy had heard, Djelibad was providing a haven for White Russians eager to continue their fight against the Bolos.

Unfortunately for Chippy, he was not quite the full jar of Marmite and had had no training whatsoever in undercover work, being a simple subaltern at heart. The Emir’s secret police, the Djelibad Palace Guard had picked him up in the Gummy Souk and taken him to the Palace dungeons for questioning.

Questioning in the Palace dungeons was the province of Appah Rao, a huge Jetti from Mysore. The Jettis are a superior caste of professional wrestlers and gymnasts. In their origins, in the days of the Rājas of Tanjore, they were employed in guarding the treasury and jewel rooms. Now they are sometimes employed as executioners and despatch their victims by a twist of the neck, or if the condemned man or woman has committed a particularly heinous crime (such as entering the Emir’s zenana), pounding large nails into the prisoners' heads using only their bare hands.

Appah Rao

Appah Rao did not speak English and so the questions were asked by Sanfran Cisko-Bey, a renegade from the Turkish secret police, the Teşkilât-ı Mahsusa. They had originally entered Khiva in the employ of Enver Pasha. Seeing no future in the Basmachis who Enver Pasha had taken up with, they looked for more gainful and lucrative employment and found it in Jhamjarhistan with the Emir’s Palace Guard. When Cisko-Bey felt that the prisoner was being less than truthful, he indicated to Appah Rao who applied some nasty pressure to various sensitive parts of Chippy’s anatomy.

Sanfran Cisko-Bey

“So, Mr. Minton, what are you doing in Jhamjarhistan?” enquired Cisko-Bey. “Actually, it’s Lieutenant Minton, West Borsetshire Foresters, old boy and I’m here for a spot of shooting, don’t you know” replied Chippy. Cisko-Bey indicated to the Jetti and Chippy struggled to maintain a stiff upper lip as the torture continued. This was far worse than being bullied at Greyfriars School when that dreadful swine Horace Coker, had forced his bare buttocks against the school boiler after Chippy had burnt his crumpets, when he was fagging for Coker.

Horace Coker

“Now come, Mr. Minton” continued Cisko-Bey, laying an insulting emphasis on the ‘Mr’, “we know you are here in search of the Jīn de Guǒjiàng Guàn de Nián Shén. You might as well admit it and save yourself a lot of pain”. “I’m after the whoosit? The whatchamacallit? I’m sorry old stick, I don’t follow your lingo at all, I’m right up the Ranygazoo, sans paddle here”, feeling a little discomnoculated, Chippy was not at his best. Having your family jewels crushed by a giant Jetti, tends to put a bit of a damper on your day, whoever you are. “In English, the Jīn de Guǒjiàng Guàn de Nián Shén would roughly translate as the Golden Jhamjarh of Sticky Gods, a legendary and very powerful artefact”, pressed Cisko-Bey. “We know you cursed Britishers seek it’s power for yourselves, the Emir Of Jhamjarhistan is all-knowing”, continued the Turk. At that moment, the Emir Of Jhamjarhistan himself chose to enter the dungeon to see what progress his minions had made.

Faqir Al Djelibeybi

Faqir Al Djelibeybi, the Emir was a powerful looking man. At the tender age of thirteen, he had been sent by his father, the previous Emir to Saint Petersburg to gain a military education. In 1896 he returned to Djelibad and assisted in the ruling of Jhamjarhistan until his father’s death in 1910.

Upon mounting the throne, Faqir continued to receive tribute from the people of Jhamjarhistan in the form of bribes and taxes. He also received a rake-off from the salaries paid to court officials. Very much a traditional ruler in the style of his father, definitely a chip off the old block. Opponents of his rule were generally publicly whipped and then exiled.

In March 1918 activists of the Free Jhamjarhistan Movement contacted the Bolshevik government in Moscow and stated that the Jhamjarhistanis were ready for revolution and that the people were awaiting liberation from the Emir. The Red Army subsequently marched to the very gates of Djelibad and demanded that the Emir surrender the city to the Free Jhamjarhistan Movement . The Emir in a towering rage, responded by killing the Bolshevik delegation, along with several hundred Russian supporters of the Bolsheviks in Jhamjarhistan and the surrounding territories. The majority of Jhamjarhistanis did not support a foreign invasion and the ill-equipped and ill-disciplined Bolshevik army fled back to the Soviet stronghold at Tashkent.

This then, was the man who strode into Chippy’s dungeon and glared at him,  piercing eyes glittering beneath a great beetling brow.

To be continued...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 08:39:03 AM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2021, 08:35:43 PM »
An excellent tale of the back of beyond and wonderful representations of its characters, legendary or otherwise.

I note my cousin's appearance - have a care for he is more slippery than an eunuch smothered in ghee....

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2021, 07:53:57 AM »
I note my cousin's appearance - have a care for he is more slippery than an eunuch smothered in ghee....

This sage advice will be my guiding light in the days to come.

Many thanks for visiting Jhamjarhistan and your kind comments, Your Imperial Majesty.   :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 08:02:49 AM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2021, 09:35:29 AM »
So, if there’s a missing and very powerful artefact, then it stands to reason that it must be missing from somewhere. In this case the Jīn de Guǒjiàng Guàn de Nián Shén, or as we shall refer to it, the Golden Jhamjarh of Sticky Gods was stolen from the Temple of Sticky Gods in Ngari, Tibet, 500 years ago. The culprits at the time were suspected to be rival monks of the Ma-Myte sect who were jealous of the power and respect that the Golden Jhamjarh of Sticky Gods conferred on the Temple of Sticky Gods. The Ma-Myte sect died out long ago, or so we are led to believe. The location of the Golden Jhamjarh has been lost in the mists of time. But, rumours are circulating through these troubled lands that this venerated and holy artefact is about to see the light of day again after a hiatus of 500 years.

The Temple of Sticky Gods, Ngari, Tibet

In response to this rumour, the monks of the Temple of Sticky Gods have dispatched five of their most renowned warrior-monks to search for the Golden Jhamjarh and return it to its rightful home. These five monks are now on their way to the Pamirs, trying to pick up any news of the Jhamjarh and it’s location.

The monks are recruited to the Temple at a very early age and are highly skilled in the ancient martial art of Ja-Mi, which may have originally travelled to Tibet from India.

The monks of the Temple of Sticky Gods are sometimes referred to, incorrectly, as Sticky Monks. Nevertheless, this soubriquet has stuck and the local populace refer to them as such.

His Holiness the Golden Shred, the spiritual leader of the Temple carries his badge of office, the Jhamspoon of Glutinous Joy with him at all times.

His Holiness the Golden Shred

These then are the five monks tasked with the recovery of the Golden Jhamjarh of Sticky Gods and, should they be successful, will be reincarnated as higher and holier beings.

The 'Sticky Monks'

To be continued...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 02:18:15 PM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2021, 09:15:00 PM »
Love the Sticky Monks - excellent work there Young Snapcase; I really like them.

Ahhh, The Golden Shred - may he be forever Preserved......

Doug

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2021, 09:47:17 PM »
Lovely thread :-*
Watch out for that  notorious Mongolian Buddhist cult The Way of Pekthin ,and the mysterious Rose...
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2021, 09:32:42 AM »
Thanks, Doug.

Ahhh, The Golden Shred - may he be forever Preserved......
    lol    lol

Blackwolf, yes, The Way of Pekthin are certainly the glue that holds the Mongolian tribes together!   ;)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2021, 11:03:46 PM »
I could say you've surpassed yourself this time but I tend to think that with each new world you decide to delve into.

This one is certainly one of my favourites,  long may it continue. :-* :'(

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2021, 08:43:42 AM »
I could say you've surpassed yourself this time but I tend to think that with each new world you decide to delve into.

This one is certainly one of my favourites,  long may it continue. :-* :'(

Thank you, Vaggers. I'm glad you are enjoying this one. To make it into a game is going to take some doing but it will happen!   ;)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 09:35:17 AM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2021, 09:12:38 AM »
Later that night in Peshawar Catonments, Captain Phil Tuffnell received a late-night visit from none other than the mysterious SIS agent, Vaggers. “Ayup, Tuffers, its eur mafted 'un t'neet, 'n neya mistake, by’ eck!”. Tuffers was somewhat mystified by the apparent use of code words but thought that the general message was something about it being hot that night. “By jingo, old sport, you’re not wrong there”, replied Tuffers. “’Appen, on’t way ta Kashgar, us’n’ll want to sen a message ta Kenners and Darling, wi’ regard ta progress” suggested Vaggers. Tuffers puzzled on this for a minute or two and realised the gruff Yorkshire spy was suggesting that it might be somewhat of an advantage if they were able to communicate with the HQ at Peshawar whilst they were en route, as it were. “Ah av sin a bus wi’ pigeons on’t at t’vehicle park” stated Vaggers. Pondering this apparent gobbledegook, Tuffers wondered whether Vaggers had been imbibing the old methylated spirits to induce such an hallucination where pigeons had their own buses! But then it hit him, of course, the old double-decker B-type bus which had been converted to a mobile pigeon loft bus. It had done great service on the Western Front but the Peshawar Engineers had left their single example to rot in the vehicle park, after the end of the Great War. “I say old boy, you may have something there, I’ll get those WRAF poppets to go over the old motor in the morning” enthused Tuffers. “Reet”, came the reply, “ah’s off yam then, naw theur av t' ideeur” and with that pronouncement, Vaggers disappeared into the night.

Major-General Kenwood-Chef with his converted B-type bus.

The WRAF ‘poppets’ on their way to service the mobile pigeon loft.

To be continued...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 01:46:13 PM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2021, 05:54:18 PM »
An excellent addition to the vehicle park - good work all round. And reassuring that old Viaggers has at last taken some elocution lessons. Previously, he was totally unintelligible..... :D

aka etc......

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2021, 05:47:14 AM »
I'm glad you provided a translator or we would all be in the dark as to the meaning of the coded message.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2021, 08:18:10 AM »
I'm glad you provided a translator or we would all be in the dark as to the meaning of the coded message.

Appen tha'il quit thy mitherin' 'n keep thi' sen calm, but that bloody whippet 'as took me cap down snicket 'n ah'm wiyaa' uz t'at!

(Keep calm, old bean, the dog has taken my hat down the alley and now I appear to be hatless!)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 08:28:36 AM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2021, 10:28:52 AM »
Lev Davidovich Bronstein, better known as Leon Trotsky, is the Commander-in-Chief of the Red Army at the time of these momentous events which are taking place in Jhamjarhistan. Before the Great War, Trotsky had spent some time in London after escaping from exile in Siberia. He was writing for the revolutionary newspaper, Iskra (The Spark) alongside his Russian colleague, Vladimir Lenin.

During his sojourn in London, Trotsky met and had an affair with Lady Persephone Fotheringay-Featherstonhaugh , the wife of Sir Frobisher Fotheringay-Featherstonhaugh, the then Home Secretary. Lady Persephone fell pregnant and to avoid scandal, was taken away to the Swiss Alps where she gave birth to Arabella. Later returning to her position in society, her daughter was accepted as a family member and grew up in the family home, Grey Gables in Ambridge, Borsetshire.

Trotsky was moving around a lot during the Great War as country after country deported him, first Switzerland, then France, Spain and eventually for a time the USA. He left New York after hearing the news that the February Revolution of 1917 had overthrown the rule of Tsar Nicholas II.

Leon Trotsky

Trotsky made secret enquiries about his daughter during the Civil War and discovered she had been educated at Roedean School and then on to Hilda Rumpole College, Oxford studying archaeology.

With Lenin ill, Trotsky’s influence and power was waning as his rival Joseph Stalin worked his devious machinations against him.

Trotsky’s agents in Tashkent have delivered the startling news that his daughter is in Jhamjaristan on an archaeological dig with her college.

Also, contained within this information are the rumours that the Golden Jhamjarh of Sticky Gods may be discovered in the vicinity. Trotsky rapidly comes to the conclusion that possession of the Golden Jhamjarh of Sticky Gods would restore the balance of power between himself and Joe Stalin. Indeed, perhaps put him ahead of the race to control the Comintern, should Lenin become too ill to fulfil his duties.

Accordingly, Trotsky sets out for Djelibad forthwith, with two aims in mind. He will reunite with his estranged daughter and also take the Jhamjarh for himself. As C-in-C Red Army, Trotsky has his own personal armoured train. Ordering steam up, the train departs Moscow’s Oktyabrsky Terminal for Tashkent. On board are Trotsky himself, the fearsome members of Trotsky’s personal train guard, plus one or two surprises, should he meet any opposition along the way.

To be continued...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 12:07:58 PM by Mad Lord Snapcase »