Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:42:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Wargames Atlantic 28mm 95th Rifles  (Read 2378 times)

Offline anton ryzbak

• Scientist
Wargames Atlantic 28mm 95th Rifles
« on: March 06, 2021, 04:13:14 PM »

I just picked these up from my local Brick & Mortar, they are stunningly good! More photos here https://antonswargame.blogspot.com/2021/03/wargames-atlantic-28mm-napoleonic.html

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Wargames Atlantic 28mm 95th Rifles
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 04:59:30 PM »
I am far from an expert in the period but they look good to me. Makes me even more keen to get some.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 09:35:35 PM »
Inevitable question, what do they match with? I have Rifles by Front Rank, Perrys, Warlord and Outpost Wargame Services, all sightly different. But I could still use some more if they are not too small.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline anton ryzbak

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 09:39:58 PM »
Vodkafan,  I will have to do a little digging to set up a side-by-side but they look like they will fit very well with Perry's, they lack the overlarge heads and hands that are such a common feature of Warlord products and may not blend well with them

Offline Littlearmies

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 07:56:34 AM »
I think that the limited number of bodies would be an issue for me - for a pack of marching troops I could live with it but for these.... I guess my first question would be can you mix and match parts from the Perry plastic rifles sprue? That would immediately give you a couple of fresh bodies for the arms from Atlantic and vice versa. It also bugs the hell out of me when I see plastic producers using a straight "cut" at the neck - if they used a ball and socket joint there you would have more options in how to pose the heads - and in Naps with the high collars there's no excuse not to.

But for me personally, I can't really see a need for 32 riflemen skirmishing on the table - perhaps for a Sharp Practice force? I suspect if I was looking for a few figures then a couple of sprues from a reseller might be an option. And I suspect that some of the arms with baker rifles could be used for converting figures from other box sets into something totally different.

The legs do look like a big improvement over those in the Prussian Reservist box - those guys looked like they had haemorrhoids 

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2021, 05:17:14 PM »
Vodkafan,  I will have to do a little digging to set up a side-by-side but they look like they will fit very well with Perry's, they lack the overlarge heads and hands that are such a common feature of Warlord products and may not blend well with them

Thanks Anton, I would  greatly appreciate a side by side pic if you manage to do one.

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2021, 05:24:58 PM »
Someone in another review said the gun in the "at trail" arm has the firing mechanism on the wrong side (left, rather than right) which appears to be true front the picture - top right hand of the frame as shown.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 07:00:06 PM by TWD »

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2021, 08:18:18 PM »
I agree about the lock being on the wrong side for the trail arm. I'm also a bit concerned that one out of four body's wear the gaiters with the pointed top. I've done some research and a cursory look shows about even between a straight top or pointed top, but regardless, the majority were with the trousers out so you can't see the top.
If you look at the heads without shako's, they have one with a head cover that makes him look like Tongue and I think the bare heads are supposed to look like Sharpe and Harper. I think the figures have more than enough to offer to make the set a worthwhile purchase.
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2021, 01:15:53 PM »
I might go a sprue of these just for bits, but honestly I'm a little disappointed. The wrong side dog-lock is a daft mistake that should have been caught, and I'm not sure 8 Knock guns per box is really playing fair...

I doubt they would mix well with the Perry/Hicks Rifles I already have, although they may look ok with Front Rank or Warlord.

That said, the overall proportions of the figures (especially the heads) has conjured up some interesting kitbash ideas with one of the WA Halfling sprues.... lol

So far I've been pleasantly surprised by all the WA sets, but this is just a tad.... underwhelming... 

Offline anton ryzbak

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2021, 12:34:47 AM »
TWD, you are correct about the lock being on the wrong side of the rifle for the trail-arms pose, fortunately that is a one-minute fix with plastic minis. It is an embarrassing oversight that likely could only happen when using a 3-D sculpting process. Probably somebody reversed a stl file during mold set-up and didn't notice that the gun was now mirror-imaged.

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2021, 02:27:53 PM »
Yes, assume that's what happened. Lazy and pretty embarrassing as you say.
There does look to be an alternative spare stock you could use I guess, but really shouldn't be necessary.