Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:47:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689765
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Great War Tunnel Found.  (Read 2267 times)

Offline krieghund

• Scientist
  • Beyond all Reason
Great War Tunnel Found.
« on: March 15, 2021, 12:18:53 PM »
Saw this on the BBC website this morning, might be of interest.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56370510 

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
Re: Great War Tunnel Found.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 12:39:41 PM »
Wow! Typical that the bloodsuckers are digging already  >:(

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 12:27:33 PM »
I saw this too.  It’s sad that no one is sure what to do with it.  To prevent the inevitable souvenir hunting, I think one of the governments needs to either open it up, catalogue it and rebury the bodies, or seal it up for good.  I think there’s a precedent at Fort Douaumont where, if I recall correctly, there are many German bodies (killed in a huge accidental explosion) were simply sealed in and left for good.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 12:34:17 PM »
An interesting, if rather tragic read, thanks for sharing.

I find the attitude of the War Graves spokeswoman really odd ....

"to be honest we are not very excited about the discovery. In fact we find it all most unfortunate".

I think she might be in the wrong job  :?

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 08:53:23 PM »
Many war related things are handled totally  different here in Germany compared to France, Great Britain or the US.It has a lot to do with ww2.
We have a grave site organisation but they are mainly involved with bodies found at the eastern front. I dont even know if they are relevant for ww1 bodies, they probably are but I guess they do not get much help! German fallen soldiers are not seen as heroes as the allied casualties are in their countries. And they probably should not!
Far right parties and populist parties in Germany abuse the fallen for their political goals and division.  But this is politics and does not belong here! I give myself a strike!
, ,

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 02:00:45 PM »
Many war related things are handled totally  different here in Germany compared to France, Great Britain or the US.It has a lot to do with ww2.
We have a grave site organisation but they are mainly involved with bodies found at the eastern front. I dont even know if they are relevant for ww1 bodies, they probably are but I guess they do not get much help! German fallen soldiers are not seen as heroes as the allied casualties are in their countries. And they probably should not!
Far right parties and populist parties in Germany abuse the fallen for their political goals and division.  But this is politics and does not belong here! I give myself a strike!
From a more objectiv view seen it is to far away. You will have problems to find relatives from the soldier you find. And when you not find markings with names it is nearly impossible to find some informations. The german veteran organisations are more into ww2, that is right. It is a result of the nazi regime, who tried to wipe out the Great War of the peoples mind. And in Germany after WW2 the main of the people always tried to look in the future and not back to the two lost wars. Sometime it is a shame, but it was self protection for the generation after WW2. In the north we still celebrate our win over the vikings in 800 ;) lol
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 10:42:28 PM »
A friend was a frequent consultant on finds of UK bodies from WW1 (still may be, I think).  His attitude was - they fought for their country just like our lads, they deserve respect for that just like our lads, and they should get a decent burial and a proper grave just like our lads.  Of course, we didn't get invaded in 1914 or 1939, so we can probably afford to be a bit more magnanimous......
No plan survives first contact with the dice.