Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:13:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690806
  • Total Topics: 118351
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Viking shields - leather strips or metal rim?  (Read 2339 times)

Offline Gonzo100100

• Bookworm
Viking shields - leather strips or metal rim?
« on: March 08, 2021, 02:35:52 PM »
I have a little problem with shields. In recent months I was completing Warlord Games Saxon and Viking starting armies, that’s 256 figures. Based on the promotional pictures I assumed that their shields have metal rim therefore I painted them using metallic colours. Recently I learned that those weren’t metal rims – I think, but leader strips nailed on the round edge of the shield. Now I am considering repainting those edges to look like leather. I still can’t decide for 100% if I should bother but it annoys me a little to have inaccurate ‘historical army’. However, so many people paint those shields’ edge in metallic colour, so I need to ask to make sure, were there shields with metal rims or not? Should I repaint?
Also, why some miniature shields (within varying companies) are made with those strips (or frames) and other have smooth edges?
On YouTube all people who make full size replicas of Viking shield that I watched use the leather strips on edge to provide additional protection.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 03:49:20 PM by Gonzo100100 »

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
Re: Viking shields - leather strips or metal frames?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 03:33:46 PM »
Thanks I needed a break, and looking this up did just that, now back to work

Readings

http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/manufacturing/text/viking_shields.htm

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~chrisandpeter/shield/shield.html#Edge%20Reinforcement

Other sites either repeat similar, or have so many popups and cookie consent requests I stopped bothering.

Still, its interesting subject..

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Viking shields - leather strips or metal rim?
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 04:11:28 PM »
I've made a fair few shields of various persuasions over the year's. I'd say Hurstwic gives quite a balanced view through experiments and experience.
The big argument thats thrown around by supposed grown ups is that the ship burial shields are just that for burials .but the old Absence of proof isn't proof of Absence. Bounces right though the whole discussion.

You could keep some metal edges on heros/ leaders and berserkers as there's loose 'historic' evidence in the form of the odd saga line referencing such thing's. But in general it's out with the brushes I'm afraid.

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 05:01:18 PM »
Leather edge in majority, either rawhide (bone colour) or tanned perhaps,  metal perhaps for nobles but rare I suspect.

Out with the brush, I use Vallejo  Iraqi sand blended with red leather, then hit it with a ink wash brian or black.

Cheers
Matt
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 07:51:14 PM by bluewillow »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 07:26:17 PM »
I use a mix. It's not exactly historically accurate as almost all shields of the period would have had a rawhide rim; I just go with what I feel like painting really.

Rawhide Rim using Foundry Rawhide Triad but just tA, then a mix of A & B then lastly just B:

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 07:27:29 PM »
From my understanding metal banding did exist for shields, not the most common, but it did exist.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 07:28:08 PM »
From my understanding metal banding did exist for shields, not the most common, but it did exist.

True. But as you say, uncommon.

Offline Gonzo100100

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 08:39:40 PM »
Thank you for all your answers, they were very informative.

I have decided to repaint 256 of those shield edges, it'll take me all day tomorrow probably.

Offline Unlucky General

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2021, 05:09:12 AM »
I have both and getting a metal rim on a curved shield is tricky.

I suppose a real question is how much damage and use was the average user expected to get out of his shield in the first place? How many hits was it expected to take before a repair or a replacement?

I suspect most of the time a warrior/soldier renewed their shields more often than we think - depending upon activity.

So ... how much more protection is needed beyond thick rawhide?

Also, consider that my the middle ages (say after 1200) they don't have rims at all as far as I am aware.

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2021, 07:54:16 AM »
Metal rims is a pet peeve of mine. I immediately think fantasy when I see a metal rim.

I always paint mine in various shades of browns from really light to quite dark. To give a less uniform appearance.

Offline Gonzo100100

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2021, 01:40:14 PM »
It took me almost 4 days, but I have done it, I repainted my Saxon and Viking armies’ rims. All 256 of them ( minus 10-20 which didn't have shields). I have to say, I love painting miniatures but somehow I hate to repair my own screw ups so last 4 days felt like a chore. Or... maybe it simply was the fact that I had to do only one thing over and over again with little variety. Anyway, that's all over for now, I already came back to work on my proper project.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2021, 01:46:58 PM »
Well done and although it was a chore you'll feel much better once you see them on the gaming table.  :D