Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:47:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pictures of Essex goblins  (Read 1163 times)

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
Pictures of Essex goblins
« on: March 08, 2021, 03:07:14 PM »

Chaps I am looking for pictures of Essex Fan80 Goblin guards.
Thanks

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Pictures of Essex goblins
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 03:44:55 PM »
Your wish, etc. ....

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=77384.msg1621104#msg1621104

The king (horned helmet and big moustache) comes on his own. The other three are the guards; one's the same figure as the heavy spearman from the same range.

Offline amunptah

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 03:58:45 PM »
The paint job from that thread really does wonders for the sculpts. I’m afraid I’ve been put off Essex by how crude the sculpts and paint jobs are on their website, not to mention the price. Am I being too harsh?

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 08:15:45 PM »
Lots of their models have been made by Bob Olley ( in his early days as a sculptor ) so if you know him you'll know what you get  ;).
I like his style of sculpting but especially the textue on his clothing and - sometimes - animal/humanoid skin put me of painting them...
Leadhead

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 08:18:03 PM »
Somehow I knew you would answer, thanks for that.
Those figures are pleasingly odd looking. The king is particularly manic.
Trying decide between these or the warrior miniatures versions.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 08:22:47 PM »
Lots of their models have been made by Bob Olley ( in his early days as a sculptor ) so if you know him you'll know what you get  ;).
I like his style of sculpting but especially the textue on his clothing and - sometimes - animal/humanoid skin put me of painting them...

I agree - but I don't think Bob Olley did the FAN series (the earlier ones, like these goblins). They're a good deal cruder than the Olley ranges, but they do have a real charm. I like the gnolls, the goblins, the bugbears and the great scaly orcs from the FAN series. The Olley orcs ("Cursaa's orcs) are really good, too, though - huge heads and a sort of fairy-tale ogre look.

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 07:48:15 AM »
The paint job from that thread really does wonders for the sculpts. I’m afraid I’ve been put off Essex by how crude the sculpts and paint jobs are on their website, not to mention the price. Am I being too harsh?

I must agree that some of the sculpts look a bit awkward while others have a pleasing old school vibe. Some of the paint jobs don't help.
Yes they are quite expensive. I sometimes wonder why some of the vintage ranges still available are so much expensive? The minifigs fantasy ranges are particularly so.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 10:00:23 AM »
A lot of the more expensive Essex ones are quite hefty; the Cursaa's orcs are much bigger and heavier than the Citadel orcs of the same period (maybe around twice the mass). So the amount of metal is probably a factor in the price. I think most of the Olley ranges are quite chunky, and so are the great scaly orcs.

The goblins aren't bad value at three for £3.85.

The Minifigs fantasy range are quite expensive; I gather they're quite tricky to cast, given the age of the moulds. I'd love to see more of the range back in production, though - they're really charming.