Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:32:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686605
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: In Her Majesty’s Name – Second Edition initial observations  (Read 2910 times)

Offline AzSteven

• Scientist
My book arrived yesterday, and I immediately cracked it open and started reading

First - the book is BIG.  Page count is obviously higher now, but the dimensions are now more like a full 8x100 or A4 book rather than the osprey size

Second - already finding a number of things that were unclear or confusing in 1st edition that suddenly make sense in the 2nd edition.  Granted, some of that is probably because over the years I figured it out or folks posted helpful guidance here, but it does seem like the rules are clearer and have some better examples in some cases.  Much appreciated

Third - Because of the larger page size, the photos are larger and clearer, which will be helpful for later stealing of painting ideas.  Err, no, I mean inspiration.  Yeah, that's it.  Inspiration.

Fourth - My only negative takeaway so far is the light halftone gears graphic behind the text on every page.  I found that made it surprisingly more difficult to read, especially when I was in a room with less lighting.  Even in bright light though the graphic is a little distracting and makes it a little hard (for me at least) to get immersed in the text.  It was annoying enough that I am hoping to get a PDF version of the document that I can strip out the background imagery.

Overall though its a very nice book and its great to see this game getting this attention and expansion.  I hope to see yet more material in the near future, preferably without the distracting halftone graphics.  Well done guys!

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
Re: In Her Majesty’s Name – Second Edition initial observations
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 01:16:18 PM »
Hi AzSteven,

Thanks for your feedback, it always helps.

1. The book is A4 and contains both triple the pages and more than triple the word count of the original.
2. Clarity in the text was a major objective so we are glad you noticed that. When we wrote the first edition we had a lot less experience, were in quite a hurry and trying to cram everything into 25,000 words. Which is a lot harder than people might think.
3. The photos were all provided by players and the incredible Kev Dallimore, without whom we would be nothing :)
4. We are sorry you seem to be struggling with the page watermark. We had a similar watermark in Thud & Blunder and no-one seemed to mind, so carried the idea through to IHMN2

There shall be more material and we are working on a number of small, digital supplements. More on which later...
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline iDreamofMinis

• Bookworm
    • I Dream of Minis Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 06:27:11 PM »
I just received my book today in the mail and it looks beautiful!  Great job!

I must agree about the watermark, however.  It is rather distracting.  I second a plain .pdf version, if possible.

Great work, gentlemen!

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 08:01:46 AM »
Thanks for the feedback  :) .

We first used the half-tone graphic in Thud & Blunder and had no comments upon it. I've just laid the two books out side by side and it does seem a tad darker in IHMN2.

Unfortunately we cannot do anything about it now, but will take the lesson on board for our next book.

Offline iDreamofMinis

• Bookworm
    • I Dream of Minis Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 06:01:58 PM »
Sure thing, Craig.

I was reading the book last night, and I think that it is only that it’s a little too dark as well. In spite of it, the book is still definitely readable. It’s a great book. You guys did great!