Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:00:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686475
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [Kickstarter] Lasting Tales - Solo/Co-Op Adventure  (Read 3594 times)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Re: [Kickstarter] Lasting Tales - Solo/Co-Op Adventure
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2021, 08:57:51 PM »
There’s no real difference between Lasting Tales and games like Frostgrave or Rangers of Shadow Deep when it comes to “needing” a certain set of figures.

No, but if you only buy the rules and figure set 2 here you don't get any orcs or goblins with melee weapons as they were part of set 1. That is why I said you need both sets of figures to get a balanced selection of figures.

Offline andyskinner

• Bookworm
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2021, 11:21:27 AM »
I'm not interested in the figures, but am interested in the rules.

We tried the demo:
https://andyshobby.wordpress.com/2021/04/12/lasting-tales-battle/

andy

Offline Dolnikan

• Librarian
    • Dolnikan Games
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2021, 11:24:45 AM »
No, but if you only buy the rules and figure set 2 here you don't get any orcs or goblins with melee weapons as they were part of set 1. That is why I said you need both sets of figures to get a balanced selection of figures.

Yes, but if you are into fantasy games, chances are that you already have a whole bunch of orcs and assorted other beings around somewhere. And as far as I know, they should be perfectly useable.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2021, 01:12:51 PM »
Yes, but if you are into fantasy games, chances are that you already have a whole bunch of orcs and assorted other beings around somewhere. And as far as I know, they should be perfectly useable.

Chances are you have a suitable set of rules also, so why look at the Kickstarter at all if you are not a newcomer to the genre?

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2021, 01:20:16 PM »
Why look at this Kickstarter if you are not new to the genre?

Cost effectiveness.
Aesthetics.
A new fantasy worldcsetting.

I do not know if the rules will be groundbreaking. How they may be different from say Rangers of Shadowdeep is a mystery to me.

Edit: Lasting Tales aside, I am curious Robh why Fantasy1 appealed to you but Fantasy 2 does not.

Andy, I enjoyed your battle report and left a comment there for you.

I do not think you need any of the Fantasy series minis to play Lasting Tales, the Sadler Brothers have gone on at length about it being designed to be figure agnostic. And Andy demonstrates that well in his battle report.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 01:23:53 PM by Rick W. »
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline andyskinner

• Bookworm
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2021, 03:19:14 PM »
Chances are you have a suitable set of rules also, so why look at the Kickstarter at all if you are not a newcomer to the genre?

Possibly your hobbying habits are a bit different from mine.  ;)

How many rules systems do I need?  I didn't know I was interested in this particular style of game (co-op fantasy skirmish).  Now Sellswords & Spellslingers, Rangers of Shadow Deep, Elder Scrolls: Call to Arms (way too complex and a bit too specific for me), Lasting Tales.  The One Page Rules guy is working on one.

Neither wave of figures interested me very much, and I don't even remember the first one coming out.  But I'm always looking for The Perfect Rules, and having fun with the ones I have now in the meantime.

andy

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2021, 06:01:47 PM »

I'm always on the lookout for a good game and this seems to hit quite a few marks. Campaign, semi-random progression, co-op, miniature agnostic,not to mention the rules feel like they fit me better than Rangers of shadowdeep and frostgrave. I'm not a huge on d20 systems.
The miniature range fills some gaps in my collection and add some models I'd not soon get around to buying, but are very nice to have, such as a bunch of animals and villagers. There's always a shinier mini I'd prefer to buy first with my limited funds, but now I can get them all together with some models I very much like in my possession
Yeah, I don't really need any more goblins or trolls, but I do like the overall look. It's nice and classic. A lot of manufacturers are keen on creating their distinct aesthetic, which is great of course, but it sometimes makes it hard to get a good range of more generic looking models. This has the classic fantasy look to me and the rules promise me a great excuse to make that 3d dungeon I've been wanting, plus any type of fantasy scenery I can dream up.

'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2021, 02:38:39 PM »
My wife and I decided to back the game as well as the minis.

It is crazy to see what one eBay shop is selling Fantasy Series 1 figures for already.

5 to 25 Euros each, granted that is with free postage.

https://www.ebay.de/sch/D-D-Miniaturen/54996/m.html?item=402795601651&hash=item5dc87d1ef3%3Ag%3AKlQAAOSwe11geWJe&_ssn=paschspiele