Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:37:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690878
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Burrows & Badgers - How is it?  (Read 4256 times)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Burrows & Badgers - How is it?
« on: March 13, 2021, 07:10:58 PM »
Looks like there’s another upcoming KS for minis. I like the look of the B&B minis quite a bit. The entire line has an old school charm. However, anthropomorphic animals haven’t really been anything I’m generally too interested in. Buuuuut are the rules good? Is it worth taking a look at? How about the campaign?

Offline Ranthony

• Scientist
Re: Burrows & Badgers - How is it?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 08:04:59 PM »
This looks interesting to me.
I've no idea how rules work as I've never played, but it does make me want to take a closer look.
It reminds me of the novel series 'Redwall' , a fantastic saga surrounding the adventures of a timid turned warrior mouse and his wars against stoats, foxes etc......check it out I'd tou need to be inspired.

Exodus 1:10 KJV
Come on, let us deal wisely with them; lest they multiply, and it come to pass, that, when there falleth out any war, they join also unto our enemies, and fight against us, and so get them up out of the land.

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 08:30:03 PM »
I'm also curious - I've heard very good things about the rules but just don't get the whole animal people thing - reminds me a bit too much of watching wind in the willows at my grans house.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 10:01:44 PM »
Well I guess if you don’t get the charm of Wind in the Willows,you won’t from Burrows and Badgers,ahem,horses for courses :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 07:37:03 PM »
The system is really solid, and not particularly tied into playing animals. I really like it, and use it for getting my Northumbrian Tin Soldier minis out for a game.
Plays like a better Frostgrave is how I described it to a friend. Less wizardy, more warband of characters.

Offline ntdars

• Student
    • Union Gang
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 02:43:34 AM »
B&B is honestly nothing short of fantastic, and Oathsworn/the Lovejoys have created a really welcoming and friendly community over on Facebook.

It has a ton of familiar but interesting systems, and the campaign mechanics are great. It's also a great starting game for people just getting into the hobby for super low model count (even less than Frostgrave), and even if you're losing games you're actually ahead in terms of the campaign based on how XP works. I'd recommend it to anyone honestly, the rulebook is cheap on Amazon.
Our Maryland-based club's Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/uniongang

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2021, 06:48:08 AM »
Anyone wanting to powergame could break the rules easily, but for fun games they're good and the campaign/XP system is simple but it works.

The author is very active on the facebook group and regularly answeres rules questions, or rather he mostly confirms what the very active community has already posted :)

I think he's on LAF too.

Offline Lovejoy

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathsworn Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 09:22:20 AM »
I think he's on LAF too.

I am!  :D

I reckon the rules are good, and they seem to be well liked by the gamers. Obviously I'm biased, though!  ;) I'd say the rules are simple at first glance, but once you get into the way skills, spells and equipment let you characters support each other, there's a lot to think about. In terms of power-gaming, I've yet to find a horrible combo that can't be defeated - and the campaign system lets you adapt your band to do that. That said, it's best when all the players are treating it the same way; we've got groups where everyone's ultra-competitive, and love destroying each other in new and creative ways, and groups where everyone's in it for the narrative. But mixing the two might not be fun...

I'm currently working on a couple more expansions for the game, and more minis, so it'll be supported as long as people want it to be.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2021, 02:04:30 PM »
How large are these warbands? 6 models only? Will the upcoming KS include some of those starter warbands as add-one?

Offline Lovejoy

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathsworn Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2021, 02:53:00 PM »
Warbands are between 3 and 10 models; most starting bands end up with 5 or 6 usually.

Here's some links about warbands that might help:

https://ospreypublishing.com/blog/cat/osprey-games/post/burrows_badgers_warband/

As for the Kickstarter, no, sorry, none of the existing range will be add-ons. It's purely to get some new stuff into production.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2021, 03:27:41 PM »
Are the upcoming KS models usable with the core book or is it new models for a new supplement or something?

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2021, 03:33:13 PM »
Here is my review..... which I am guessing you have read....

http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2019/10/review-burrows-and-badgers-osprey-games.html

.....but for others benefit.
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2021, 04:22:22 PM »
I would like to add that the miniatures are superb, they make an ordinary painter like me look better than I am.

Online Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2021, 04:27:30 PM »
I would like to add that the miniatures are superb, they make an ordinary painter like me look better than I am.

Yup, I’ll second that!  Very easy to paint, lots of character.

Best of all, your scenery can be any 25/8 mm medieval....or make your own with a bit more “ wind in the willows” sequence feel to it.

Offline Lovejoy

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathsworn Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2021, 04:51:58 PM »
Are the upcoming KS models usable with the core book or is it new models for a new supplement or something?
Mostly are fine for use with the core rules; there's a set of undead in there, which will be getting rules in a supplement (and a pdf of rules during the KS, probably), but everything else can just fit into the game as-is.  :)