Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:32:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685048
  • Total Topics: 118007
  • Online Today: 766
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 630
Total: 635

Recent

Author Topic: Modern asphalt roads using wet'n'dry sandpaper  (Read 2518 times)

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
Modern asphalt roads using wet'n'dry sandpaper
« on: March 15, 2021, 12:03:30 AM »
I need to make a few modern roads for a change and am too cheap to buy some of the W/S or AK asphalt road materials (esp with the postage) for around three feet of road.

Hunting through my bits box I came across some wet and dry sandpaper that look a good colour match and wonder if anyone has used this as roadway?

I did think about a varnish layer on top to save sanding the model bases (yes I shove them sometimes) and possibly help protect any wash / dirt marks I paint on it.  I'm not fussed about white / yellow lines but may try them as a challenge if I can work out a stencil.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
Re: Modern asphalt roads using wet'n'dry sandpaper
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 12:41:37 PM »
I have (long ago!) and it works fine.

However, if you have some medium-fine sandpaper that's been lightly used and is slightly creased, it does look more convincing at 28mm scale.

You do need to give it some watery washes to add colour variety, and super-light drybrush also helps.

If you use stuff that's new, too fine, and don't paint it at all, it tends to look very artificial and unconvincing.

[...] white / yellow lines but may try them as a challenge if I can work out a stencil.

If you trim some blister-pack foam into the shape you want, dip it in some slightly-thinned paint, and then "stamp" it gently on the bases, you get a convincing effect without messing around with stencils. Much easier IMO, especially for things like dashed lines.

Offline Pan Marek

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 04:34:17 PM »
Are you planning on mounting the sand paper on something like plastic card or MDF?   In my experience, any grade of sandpaper, even unpainted, will curl if its not mounted on something stiff.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 08:23:55 PM »
It does work well if mounted on a board. 
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 09:16:12 PM »
Now I've stopped trying to persuade my electric supplier I can read the numbers correctly for the next few days I'll give it a go.

I've some mount board and plastic off-cuts and a couple of types of spray glue so it's a crafting weekend ahead :-)

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 10:10:36 AM »
I did this but I stuck the paper onto strips of felt; that way it lies flat.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 01:30:30 PM »
I used sandpaper for this Vegas shot:

I does well as fairly newly laid asphalt, but I  am sure you can employ various weathering techniques to make to make it look worn.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 01:32:13 PM by Hammers »

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2021, 05:06:42 AM »
I have used it for a modular road I did a number of years ago. Overall, it worked well, although the method I used I wouldn't do again as the road ended up too high.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2021, 04:40:20 PM »
I made some road modules over a decade ago now, that still occasionally get an outing. I used sandpaper on those as well, to pretty good results:

Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2021, 10:56:52 PM »
@Daeothar Great thread and wonderful result.

Best bit - the Doctor who says 'Preposterous' a lot  :-*

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2021, 04:09:46 PM »

Thanks to all for the comments and examples - way over my skill level at the moment.

So it took me a week or two (well month - blush) to get around to trying out my idea and the first test results are not too bad (and I learnt a lot)

10 sheets of Wilkos 400 grit wet and dry - a bit small (140mm X 230mm) but as my board is only 2x2 I can get two or three 6" or 8" lengths out of one sheet so not too bad for £3.50 - cheaper then eBay or a trip to the market in town.

The scuffing up I did before the varnish hardly shows (even in real life) so I need to add more contrasting light and dark patches.

The lines are nail tape off eBay - I ordered white and yellow from 'electric transport' and they kindly sent a couple extra strips (now heading to my daughter as they clash with my eyes).  Turns out they stick fine to nails, themselves, the desk, my mouse (do not ask) and even my chocolate bar but not to wet and dry sandpaper!

I used spots of mod-podge to hold them and then sprayed with cheap matt varnish to hold BUT they reacted with the spray (propellant or contents - unsure at the mo) and stretched in a few places, lifting off in a little (about 1mm high) bumps:

Very odd - I am 100% sure they where flat to the paper when they got sprayed and straight after and was not left in the sun to dry so it must be a reaction to the varnish.  The glue was not in the places the bum,bs are so its not that.

I had planned on using the steps down the middle of the road (just to break up the large grey / black strip) but think I may just cut two strips per road section and leave a gap between showing the white plastic card I'll stick these on.  The plastic is needed as, even after the varnish, the sheets are bendable and slightly warped.

I may try once more with mod-podge all the way down the strip as I like the yellow / gold tape effect...

Fortunately, the scenarios out of the One Hour Wargames book all have straight roads (oh and a cross road) so I do not have to work out how to cut parallel curves (or stick the tape in a bend) yet!

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2021, 06:06:57 PM »
Great bit of modelling advice and nice to see too! I've been using tile grout and fine sand paper thus far. The tile grout worked well for blown up/ oddly shaped sections after an overspray of the dsired street color and some varnish.
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2021, 07:37:36 AM »
Having tried sandpaper and giving up can I recommend the reverse side of hardboard painted up black and drybrushed ?- more here

http://shedwars.blogspot.com/2014/01/roads-for-wargaming-part-1.html

a few pictures of these roads in play

cheers