Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:52:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689716
  • Total Topics: 118289
  • Online Today: 768
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Muslim Indian armies?  (Read 3733 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Muslim Indian armies?
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2021, 09:23:13 PM »
All I can find on the subject Tim is the up and coming Osprey I mentioned to you, which is in their Men at Arms series so probably not that much info but plenty of plates  ??? ??? ???

From Amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Medieval-Indian-Armies-Buddhist-Men-at-Arms/dp/1472843444/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2OJ92S1T2A7P7&keywords=medieval+indian+armies&qid=1636233605&s=books&sprefix=medieval+indian+armies%2Cstripbooks%2C66&sr=1-1

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2021, 08:58:03 AM »
The old QT Miniatures range did some medieval(?) Indians in their multipart figures. Not sure of their intended period but the cavalryman's head below looks suitable armoured for medieval.

Now sold by Wargames Design Workshop

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2021, 09:31:27 AM »
The old QT Miniatures range did some medieval(?) Indians in their multipart figures. Not sure of their intended period but the cavalryman's head below looks suitable armoured for medieval.

Now sold by Wargames Design Workshop

That looks quite late, maybe 14-15th Century? - I got the impression fro talking to Tim on Facebook that he was looking for Early Medieval(?)

Offline A Lot of Gaul

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2021, 09:43:13 AM »
As mentioned previously, Gripping Beast has a range of 28mm Timurids:
https://www.grippingbeast.co.uk/The_Timurids--category--118.html

Indus Miniatures has a War in India range that, although designed for a later period, might also prove useful:
https://indusminiatures.mybigcommerce.com/categories/WAR-IN-INDIA-%252d-28mm/
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 12:46:22 PM by A Lot of Gaul »
"Ventosa viri restabit." ~ Harry Field

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2021, 01:10:55 PM »
That looks quite late, maybe 14-15th Century? - I got the impression fro talking to Tim on Facebook that he was looking for Early Medieval(?)

I would guess at earlier but only because from 1400 most Indian cavalry look very Persian influenced to me, which seemed to last through to the 18th C.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2021, 01:26:10 PM »
I would guess at earlier but only because from 1400 most Indian cavalry look very Persian influenced to me, which seemed to last through to the 18th C.

I really don't have a clue. It's odd, maybe not, that there's seemingly so little in the literature in English (that I'm aware of on) Early to Late Medieval Indian Armies.

I do know that Tim was thinking pre-1066.

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2021, 03:59:54 PM »
Yes, something more contemporary with the ‘dark ages’ as opposed to high medieval.
Only so it’s an army that’s a little bit different to your normal Viking/Saxon combos.

I’m looking at that picture of an armoured head, but just can’t even see it??  lol
A millionaire trapped in a peasants body!

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2022, 02:49:53 PM »
This project, whilst on the back burner is still active and could be good for take off at some point soon. Possibly new year.

I’ve taken Atheling’s advice and ordered my Osprey copy of medieval Indian armies.
Plus I’ve decided that GB Timurid elephant crew on non barded elephants is possibly correct.
I’ve found some really nice Foundry Indian troops with just a primitive turban and loin cloth. These are actually from the Indian Mutiny range!
Plus maybe GB plastic Arabs?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2022, 03:01:14 PM »
This project, whilst on the back burner is still active and could be good for take off at some point soon. Possibly new year.

I’ve taken Atheling’s advice and ordered my Osprey copy of medieval Indian armies.
Plus I’ve decided that GB Timurid elephant crew on non barded elephants is possibly correct.
I’ve found some really nice Foundry Indian troops with just a primitive turban and loin cloth. These are actually from the Indian Mutiny range!
Plus maybe GB plastic Arabs?

Great to hear that  this project is still alive Tim. Did the Osprey book arrive as of yet?

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2022, 09:34:24 PM »
Not yet matey,
This week hopefully.

I’m still adding to my early Persian army,
Then the Normans for February, THEN maybe the medieval Indians for May next year!

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2022, 03:00:48 AM »
An important consideration might be that Turkmen were a big part of the northern Indian story, and indeed were heavily hired by the southern states later at least to compensate for the poor equicultural potential down south, since elephants would do for prestige but hardly as tactical substitutes for horse.

The pix are of my Moghul armies, so of only distant relevance.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2022, 09:02:38 AM »
Not yet matey,
This week hopefully.

I’m still adding to my early Persian army,
Then the Normans for February, THEN maybe the medieval Indians for May next year!

Fab. I'm very tempted by the Medieval Indian Armies (1) Osprey. The only thing that's putting me off is that it is from the Men at Arms series and might be quite vague. I await your opinion :)

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2022, 06:02:10 PM »
Atheling, unfortunately I share your scepticism as regards the Osprey offering. Trying to fit 1000 years of history ( 500 -1500 AD) into a Men-at-Arms volume is nigh on impossible.  I hope I'm proved wrong.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2022, 06:54:32 PM »
Atheling, unfortunately I share your scepticism as regards the Osprey offering. Trying to fit 1000 years of history ( 500 -1500 AD) into a Men-at-Arms volume is nigh on impossible.  I hope I'm proved wrong.

Yep.... sadly this is usually the case. The Men at Arms series can be useful for inspiration with the brush.

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2022, 06:57:08 PM »
I’m thinking these guys for my rank and file, so more 14th and 15th century.

Yes, I know there from Foundry Sikh wars range! So a few hundred years out, but it’s the best I can do.
Redoubt do similar but the web page is atrocious by modern standards. They deserve a slapped bottom for that thing!

I’m going to use GB Timurid elephant crew, but on unarmoured elephants, probably from Aventine.
Also maybe GB Timurid cavalry or more from the Foundry Sikh Wars range for the lighter Hindu cavalry?

This is an army for WAB and Elephant lovers as it will have a LOT of the little cuties.