Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 10:45:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685083
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [Commercial] Introducing Bloody Miniatures P.50 - A Regiment of Foote  (Read 94722 times)

Offline Friends of General Haig

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog:
Re: [Commercial] Introducing Bloody Miniatures P.33 - Release 4 now available :)
« Reply #510 on: September 23, 2022, 09:12:44 AM »
Very interesting to hear what sales well, or not, Richard 👍.

Frankly I’m quite flabbergasted that everyone doesn’t just buy the whole release! 8)

For the Scots, I hope there will be some in trews, as well as plaids, if you’re venturing to the highlands.  I understand that men rich enough to o have a mount would have been more likely to wear trews.  I’m sure, for popularity’s sake two handed claymores would sell  :D !  Also love the idea of multi armed highlanders, e.g. bow and musket armed  - the wealthier would have the kitchen sink etc., while the humblies may be just had a dirk or stave.

In other areas, I would love to see a wounded, unmounted, Polish Hussar, but I suspect he will have to be in the pack with the Italian bee-keeper!  ;)

Other more sensible suggestions:

New recruits - more civilian wear, shorter doublets, monmouths, no swords, and open hands for pikes etc. Also good for Cornishmen etc.

The general’s bodyguard (dismounted) - all in fancy cassocks, with carbines, and big feathers in their hats (but no monteros!).

I’m looking forward to what’s ever you do next 👍.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 12:27:59 PM by Friends of General Haig »

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
Re: [Commercial] Introducing Bloody Miniatures P.33 - Release 4 now available :)
« Reply #511 on: September 23, 2022, 09:44:50 AM »
My figures have arrived - the dismounted cuirassiers and the village people - and I must say they are truly marvellous sculpts. I'm a bit surprised the dismounted cuirassiers are selling so well, simply because cuirassiers generally are more TYW than ECW, and the ECW is more popular than the TYW with gamers.

One reasonably sensible suggestion from me. If you are planning cavalry, how about some more riders in cassocks and Dutch coats to match the ones already made by Bicorne. I've seen so many photos of those figures in people's armies, they have obviously sold well for Bicorne and I'd have thought your customers might well want a few more to add some variety. I know I would.   

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #512 on: September 23, 2022, 10:14:58 AM »
Italian monastic beekeepers would be even better😁
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #513 on: September 23, 2022, 12:40:41 PM »
But only if armed with obsolete/old fashioned pole arms ;-)
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #514 on: September 23, 2022, 03:15:48 PM »
I have two thoughts on cavalry...

If I had my druthers, all my horses would be in standing, walking or trotting poses; it seems that sometimes sculptors are more likely to get a bit 'creative' when sculpting horses at the gallop.

Also, an idea that may sell. When you do mounted packs, make them mounted versions of some of the dismounted troops you have already done (BM004, BM015, BM021 and BM022) or a release of new dismounted cavalry packs with sisters pack of the mounted versions.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #515 on: September 23, 2022, 09:09:42 PM »
When you do mounted packs, make them mounted versions of some of the dismounted troops you have already done (BM004, BM015, BM021 and BM022) or a release of new dismounted cavalry packs with sisters pack of the mounted versions.

Thanks Rob :) I had considered that (it's a popular strategy with Old West miniatures).
According to the plan in my head, the likely mounted packs will be similarly themed to some of the foot packs, but won't be exact mounted versions of the same figures. So, for instance there will definitely be a pack of mounted moss troopers in long coats and broad brimmed hats, but they won't be exactly the same characters as the equivalent foot figures. We'll see how it shakes out in practice. As with the foot figures, the real trick is to try to make the mounted characters more, um, situation-specific, rather than merely generic types. (Everybody makes generic rank and file types for the ECW and TYW. I'm going to keep trying to do something slightly different :)

My figures have arrived - the dismounted cuirassiers and the village people - and I must say they are truly marvellous sculpts. I'm a bit surprised the dismounted cuirassiers are selling so well, simply because cuirassiers generally are more TYW than ECW, and the ECW is more popular than the TYW with gamers. 

Thanks Paul. I knew the cuirassiers would do well, despite being niche in the extreme. Some subjects just have a glamour / charisma / look about them, and this translates to miniatures. The peasants, alas, are rather the opposite - everyone knows they need some, but nobody really puts a bunch of shabby civvies top of their wargames shopping list  lol

For the Scots, I hope there will be some in trews, as well as plaids, if you’re venturing to the highlands.  I understand that men rich enough to o have a mount would have been more likely to wear trews.  I’m sure, for popularity’s sake two handed claymores would sell  :D !  Also love the idea of multi armed highlanders, e.g. bow and musket armed  - the wealthier would have the kitchen sink etc., while the humblies may be just had a dirk or stave.

The general’s bodyguard (dismounted) - all in fancy cassocks, with carbines, and big feathers in their hats (but no monteros!).

Thanks Andy. I do like the sound of the general's bodyguard :)

The Scots, alas, will be very much Covenanter / Montrose Royalist types - so basically ECW / TYW dress and equipment, but with added bonnets, plaid shawls etc. Definitely not highlanders in kilts or trews - sorry.
I can tell you there are some cracking figures amongst them though, so I don't think you'll be too disappointed :)

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #516 on: September 23, 2022, 11:16:59 PM »
According to the plan in my head, the likely mounted packs will be similarly themed to some of the foot packs, but won't be exact mounted versions of the same figures. So, for instance there will definitely be a pack of mounted moss troopers in long coats and broad brimmed hats, but they won't be exactly the same characters as the equivalent foot figures. We'll see how it shakes out in practice. As with the foot figures, the real trick is to try to make the mounted characters more, um, situation-specific, rather than merely generic types.
That sounds very reasonable; I am already excited to see them (I know they are still a ways off...).

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #517 on: September 26, 2022, 03:51:23 PM »
Mid 2023 for the first mounted packs by my reckoning - two more releases of foot figures to come first :)

Meanwhile, to give myself a unit of six unhorsed cuirassiers for use with The Pikeman's Lament, I've done a couple of simple conversions - swapping the right hands of two figures, swapping in a couple of spare heads, and then a tiny amount of Green Stuff to make good the forearm and neck joints, and to add a little plumage...
Oh yes, and a sword from the spare weapons pack into the left hand of the figure in the tri-bar pot.

Amazing how it changes the look of the figure almost completely.
(Helped perhaps, by a paint job on these two of armour 'black from the hammer' - several Fb critics expressing displeasure over my inexcusable 'knights in shining armour' approach to the original four lol)

The chap in the closed helmet does now have two swords, because I didn't fancy the major surgery of hacking off the hilt of the one on his belt, and having to rebuild his sash. But I figure he's just picked up another one on the battlefield :D

Original figures on left and converted figures on right...

The nekkid conversions...

« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 03:53:27 PM by Captain Blood »

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
So effective, very natural.

Offline Curassier

• Scientist
Lovely conversions and brushwork. Re: cavalry packs - your initial ideas sound good but I would also like some small command groups eg Cromwell at such and such a battle - maybe the personality, another officer/aide and a trumpeter or banner. That way one could maybe buy two packs - use one as a vignette and then split the figures with the odd conversion to liven up other units. But I am sure whatever you decide we will like !
JM

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
That’s a couple of great extra figures - both the conversions and the blackened armour are very nice  :-*
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline WillPhillips

• Librarian
    • Will's Tabletop Projects
« Reply #522 on: September 27, 2022, 03:22:06 AM »

Oooooooooh that's a fun, niche idea.
Focused on 6mm pike and shot and 28mm Frostgrave
Blogging about my projects at Tabletop.WillPhillips.org

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
Lovely conversions and painting, Richard. :-* :-*
The cuirassier with 2 pistols is asking to a head swap and to get a barehead. :D

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Amazeballs, especially the blackened armour ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing