Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:11:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690926
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [Commercial] Introducing Bloody Miniatures P.50 - A Regiment of Foote  (Read 98046 times)

Offline **GS**

• Mad Scientist
  • never enough time
    • Spitl.de
If Brexit didn't happen, I'd order more frequently. But toll and taxes eat my purse...
Lovely miniatures!
"You don't have enough magic in you to make cereals into breakfast!"Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
If Brexit didn't happen, I'd order more frequently. But toll and taxes eat my purse...

No worries whatsoever. I totally understand and sympathise.

We won't get into politics here, but in purely economic terms, suffice it to say that - entirely predictably - nobody has won from the imposition of customs, VAT and handling charges between the UK and the rest of Europe.
Micro businesses like mine have seen orders from within the EU fall off a cliff-edge. Wargamers and collectors within the EU cannot get the miniatures they would like, without getting clobbered for all of the above additional charges.
Cui bono? Absolutely nobody  ::) :'(
What a ludicrous mess.

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam

We won't get into politics here, but in purely economic terms, suffice it to say that - entirely predictably - nobody has won from the imposition of customs, VAT and handling charges between the UK and the rest of Europe.
Micro businesses like mine have seen orders from within the EU fall off a cliff-edge. Wargamers and collectors within the EU cannot get the miniatures they would like, without getting clobbered for all of the above additional charges.
What a ludicrous mess.
See it, like it is - a situation. Next elections and time will heal this populistic decion made by old men without a view in the future. I think britains will become europeans again, because they are europeans. And it is also a chance to go to british convention again, because we got a list of wishes to be solved. 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 11:49:03 PM by NurgleHH »
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind

What a ludicrous mess.

Definitely agree, I would've ordered a few for a project I fancied and customs does put you off. And I can understand a small business won't go into IOSS schemes. I too hope the mess Brexit left will be resolved, much like NurgleHH mentioned, as it is quite a bother.
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: [Commercial] Introducing Bloody Miniatures P.44 - a few new head swaps painted
« Reply #664 on: September 25, 2023, 11:02:25 AM »
Yep. Let's hope for better times ahead, where taxes, import duties, VAT and handling charges are returned to the dustbin of history between friendly economies...

Anyway...

In case you haven't seen these already (despite my egregious spamming of Facebook and marketing emails to Bloody customers / subscribers), here's the next release - the Bloody Horse.

As ever, Nick Collier has done an amazing job – 12 mounted figures full of vim, character and purpose. 
The sculpts are now with the mould-makers to produce the metal master castings. Once received, checked and signed off, it will then take a couple of weeks to get into full production. All being well, these new packs should be in the web store around mid-October.

Anyway, here they are :)

Pack BM041: The Troopers
Stern harquebusiers in lobster-tail helmets, back and breast, buff coats, with slung carbines and drawn pistols. Righteous men all.

Pack BM042: The Flashing Blades
Dashing cavaliers: swords, big feathered hats, flouncy attire, lacy collars, cuffs and boot hose, and showy sashes.

Pack BM043: The Lobsters Ride
Grim-looked cuirassiers at the attack: three-quarters armour, pistols, hammers, axes.

Pack BM044: The Moss Troopers
Dangerous malcontents and discharged soldiers: long coats, long hair, floppy hats, pistols and carbines.

The cavalry packs will cost £12.50 for six miniatures (that’s three riders and three horses).
Or for a tidy £45 you'll be able to buy all four mounted packs together as the ‘A Thunder of Hooves’ deal, thereby saving a fiver.
Those prices may need to increase a bit on review - a lot of metal goes into making horses, and I won't know what the actual raw material production cost is until the first production run has been cast.
But that's what I'm going to start them off at and we'll see if they cover their costs!

The riders and horses won't be available separately, because each pack of six miniatures is cast from its own production mould. Logistically, this was by far the most efficient way of doing it, rather than having horses and riders in separate moulds. 

The horses are the widely used eBob sculpts, which Nick has bulked out a little and adapted with new saddlery, manes and tails. They’re delightful mounts - a little ubiquitous perhaps, but a quarter of the cost of getting horses sculpted from scratch. And I don’t believe people really look too closely at the mounts on cavalry models anyway - it’s the rider that draws the eye.

I've gone for four different horse models and each pack will include three different mounts. If you buy the full set of 12 horses and riders, you'll therefore get three of each horse model. The horses and riders are entirely interchangeable by the way - any rider will fit any horse. If these mounted packs sell reasonably well, I’ll look at getting a second, different set of horses done for future releases.

I've had a couple of snippy comments about the horses. One or two people just don't like them. Someone else opined that they're too small. I disagree. To my eye, they’re nice looking mounts and a pretty reasonable fit to the figures. Mid-C17th horses would generally have been smaller in stature than their modern-day counterparts. Statuesque hunters and thoroughbred racehorses would have been few and far between, and unlike later centuries, there was no selective breeding programme to provide huge numbers of standard sized cavalry mounts for standing armies. In the ECW (and I imagine the TYW too), nags of all sorts and conditions would have been pressed into service. Less magnificent knightly warhorses - more hardy, serviceable workhorses.

You’ll notice the pistol holsters are empty. Instead, each cavalry pack comes with a separate sprue of six pistol butts that can be glued into the holsters (or not) as desired. This means that if the rider is depicted with pistol in hand, he doesn’t also have to have one stuck in his saddle holster.

There’s an old debate about whether horse pistols were holstered with the butt facing forwards or backwards for ease of grasping, drawing and firing by the rider. Opinion remains divided, but now you can put them whichever way round you prefer :)

Release 7 will also include a pack of 12 separate hands holding assorted weapons and other items. So you can customise your Bloody Miniatures with some nifty hand swaps.

More news on availability in a week or two...

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: [Commercial] Introducing Bloody Miniatures P.45 - Bloody Cavalry preview
« Reply #665 on: September 25, 2023, 11:23:59 AM »
They look great!
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #666 on: September 25, 2023, 11:42:38 AM »
They look great, if I had to pick a favourite however I would nominate the bloke who rests the hammer on his shoulder taking measure for a swing.

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #667 on: September 25, 2023, 01:02:11 PM »
These look absolutely tremendous.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #668 on: September 25, 2023, 01:08:29 PM »
Yup looking to get me the trooper pack.   Nice minis fellas.

Offline Armstrong47

• Scientist
« Reply #669 on: September 25, 2023, 02:18:20 PM »
Fantastic figures. They're all utterly superb,but my favourites are the Cuirassiers,already destined to do duty as Gentlemen Pensioners at Edgehill.
"We've got 'em now,boys!!"
G A Custer,Sunday afternoon 25th June 1876

Offline peachey_c

• Bookworm
« Reply #670 on: September 25, 2023, 04:02:47 PM »
These are Ace  :)

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #671 on: September 25, 2023, 04:49:06 PM »
Looking gorgeous :-*
And I Love the idea of separate pistol butts - very clever.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: [Commercial] Introducing Bloody Miniatures P.44 - a few new head swaps painted
« Reply #672 on: September 26, 2023, 03:01:50 AM »
I've had a couple of snippy comments about the horses. One or two people just don't like them. Someone else opined that they're too small. I disagree. To my eye, they’re nice looking mounts and a pretty reasonable fit to the figures. Mid-C17th horses would generally have been smaller in stature than their modern-day counterparts. Statuesque hunters and thoroughbred racehorses would have been few and far between, and unlike later centuries, there was no selective breeding programme to provide huge numbers of standard sized cavalry mounts for standing armies. In the ECW (and I imagine the TYW too), nags of all sorts and conditions would have been pressed into service. Less magnificent knightly warhorses - more hardy, serviceable workhorses.
I agree- size-wise I think they are perfect. I am probably a bit more critical of horse sculpts than your median gamer and one of my beefs with the Ebob horses were the proportions. Bulking out the hind end is a big improvement. The depth of the neck suggest a large, burly mount but the hind quarters looked to belong to a much smaller mount. Nick's sculpting has made them more realistically proportioned.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #673 on: September 26, 2023, 09:29:55 AM »
Thanks all :)

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #674 on: September 26, 2023, 11:19:31 AM »
Well I'll being adding these to my other Bloody miniatures I already own! :D I haven't got around to painting them yet, but that of course hasn't stopped me from buying! lol

Christopher