Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:37:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690898
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [Commercial] Introducing Bloody Miniatures P.50 - A Regiment of Foote  (Read 97965 times)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
He's not my king  :D lol
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Lovely figures, might have to get the cavaliers.  ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Lovely figures, might have to get the cavaliers.  ;D

I think you should. You can put them with the other ones you haven’t painted lol

Well, when you tire of Star Wars and pixies ;)

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Troopers for me…..got me a werewolf to kill! 🐺

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
Richard: looking at your absolutely splendid metal masters on p46, do I take it that you prefer pistol butts facing backwards? I think it's a great idea having separate butts so buyers can do either, or leave holsters empty, as they prefer. 

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Thanks Paul. Yes, I’m surprised no-one’s done it before. It offends my OCD sensibilities to see pistols in hand and also still in their holsters  lol

They just look better to my eye, facing with the handle towards the rider. I appreciate opinions differ on this :)

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
I take it the next to last lot are Sir Arthur Haselrig's Regt. of Horse (aka Haselrig's Lobsters)?  Beautiful figures.  Indeed, all the horse are beautiful figures.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: [Commercial] Introducing Bloody Miniatures P.46 - Bloody Cavalry painted
« Reply #697 on: October 18, 2023, 10:07:32 AM »
Thank you :)

Yes, they could do for Haselrig's Lobsters, although there are other examples of three-quarter armoured individuals in the ECW - many bigwigs did, and probably their lifeguards as well. And they'd also work for the TYW of course.

Anyway, painting is now complete, and here they all are:

The Troopers

The Flashing Blades

The Lobsters

The Moss Troopers

In terms of the size of these new models compared to other ECW / TYW ranges. The comparison picture below should help.
I don’t have figures from every manufacturer in my collection, so I can’t show you a comparison against all of them, but this is a representative sample.
The wonderful Perry figures are decidedly diminutive, so not much point showing those. But overall this should give you an idea of how the Bloody horsemen measure up.
As you can see, size-wise, they’re all pretty much of a muchness. Differences in height and stature between different ranges are probably more apparent in foot figures than mounted figures. I think you'd have to be pretty anal to worry about any marginal differences in build between any of these...

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: [Commercial] Introducing Bloody Miniatures P.47 - Bloody Cavalry painted
« Reply #698 on: October 18, 2023, 10:37:44 AM »
They are lovely!

As for holsters and pistol orientation.   If it were me, I’d be tempted to have the offhand pistols (opposite side to my right hand) with grip facing forward (easier to grip reaching across) and my near side with grip backwards….because the pistol length would make the twisted wrist feel awkward I feel.

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #699 on: October 18, 2023, 01:34:52 PM »
I've always positioned the pistols with the butt facing forwards, because, for some reason, I got it into my head that this was what they did in the seventeenth century. I had thought that if the rider wanted to draw a pistol with his right hand, he would reach across and draw the left-hand pistol, a bit like drawing a sword. If he wanted to draw the right-hand pistol he would either twist round his right wrist or he would swap the reins into his right hand and use his left hand. Why I thought this I'm afraid I can't remember. The one thing I would say is that if the pistol was long, as some of them were, I'm not sure drawing a pistol with its butt facing backwards would necessarily be that easy. 

The Bloody Miniatures horses and riders fit in really well with the other ranges. I guessed that they would fit in well with Bicorne, Renegade and TAG but I'm pleasantly surprised that they seem to work with The Warre Game figures, because The Warre Game riders are small. It just shows that it really is the horse which is crucial.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 01:59:41 PM by Paul Richardson »

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #700 on: October 18, 2023, 03:56:58 PM »
Actually, I've spent literally 5 minutes looking into this, and, on page 74 of Wagner's European Weapons & Warfare 1618 -1648, there are illustrations showing pistol butts facing forwards and a rider drawing his left-hand pistol using his right hand (as if drawing a sword) with the caption 'pistols were kept in holsters with grips pointing forward to ease grasping and drawing'. There's nothing to say whether the rider would have used his left hand or his right hand to draw his right-hand pistol.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 05:13:05 PM by Paul Richardson »

Offline THE CID

• Mastermind
« Reply #701 on: October 24, 2023, 07:29:55 PM »
Ordered.
What’s next Richard ?  Are you still planning to do generic pikemen and musketeers?
If possible can we have some wounded and some new takes on the personalities of the period. I know Nick did the Bicorne personalities, but his recent sculpting has surpassed his older stuff and I’m sure they’d sell well.
Ive seen things you people wouldn't believe - Roy Batty.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #702 on: October 25, 2023, 01:52:25 AM »
I went in for a herd. I have a scenario in mind... :D

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #703 on: October 25, 2023, 09:15:59 AM »
Order placed. I'll put them in the box with the rest, unpainted obviously.

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #704 on: October 25, 2023, 04:08:14 PM »
The Cid: Nick may have sculpted some of the Bicorne personalities, but I'm not sure he sculpted all of them.