Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:35:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [Commercial] Introducing Bloody Miniatures P.50 - A Regiment of Foote  (Read 97937 times)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: [Commercial] Introducing Bloody Miniatures P.47 - Bloody Cavalry painted
« Reply #705 on: October 25, 2023, 04:14:25 PM »
Stupendus  :D
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline THE CID

• Mastermind
« Reply #706 on: October 25, 2023, 07:13:14 PM »
The Cid: Nick may have sculpted some of the Bicorne personalities, but I'm not sure he sculpted all of them.
. Is that so, all the more reason for him to do some now. 👍🏻🤞🏻
Ive seen things you people wouldn't believe - Roy Batty.

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #707 on: October 25, 2023, 07:33:51 PM »
Agreed. I'd heard that some of the Bicorne personalities were sculpted by Alan Marsh.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #708 on: October 26, 2023, 10:04:44 PM »
Ordered.
What’s next Richard ?  Are you still planning to do generic pikemen and musketeers?
If possible can we have some wounded and some new takes on the personalities of the period. I know Nick did the Bicorne personalities, but his recent sculpting has surpassed his older stuff and I’m sure they’d sell well.

Thanks Craig.
Yes, pikes and muskets next, plus command, a 20 figure set with - shock horror - separate cast pikes, cos I’ve worked a way of doing it that shouldn’t result in the old Minifigs bendy banana pikes. Or telegraph poles.
I just didn’t feel the ubiquitous, featureless and (ouch!) sharp wire spears with hammered points were sufficiently, well, you know… Bloody Miniatures…
Decided I want pikes that look pikey and proportionate to the figures and all the other weapons and polearms. Not spindly bits of wire.
Radical eh? ;)
So we’ll see how that works out lol

Agreed. I'd heard that some of the Bicorne personalities were sculpted by Alan Marsh.

To be honest, I think all (or perhaps nearly all) the Bicorne personalities were done by Alan Marsh. Look at the boots - they’re the giveaway. All the turned-down bucket boots on the mounted Bicorne personalities are the same. And they are nowhere near as good as Nick Collier’s boots, which capture the look and feel of the real thing perfectly (I have a couple of pairs myself, so know just how they hang!)

Order placed. I'll put them in the box with the rest, unpainted obviously.

Thanks Steders. This is the way ;)
One day, you’ll leap out of bed, inspired to start painting them!

I went in for a herd. I have a scenario in mind... :D

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #709 on: October 27, 2023, 10:10:38 AM »
All the turned-down bucket boots on the mounted Bicorne personalities are the same. And they are nowhere near as good as Nick Collier’s boots, which capture the look and feel of the real thing perfectly (I have a couple of pairs myself, so know just how they hang!)

Ah, Puss in Boots! Everyone's favourite panto.  ;)
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #710 on: October 27, 2023, 01:41:30 PM »
I placed an order late on Wednesday and the figures arrived this morning (Friday). Wonderful sculpts and wonderful service.

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #711 on: October 28, 2023, 01:00:24 PM »
I placed an order late on Wednesday and the figures arrived this morning (Friday). Wonderful sculpts and wonderful service.

Ditto to all of that. 
And I'm just half-way through the last release so hopefully not long before I can start on the horseys.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline THE CID

• Mastermind
« Reply #712 on: October 28, 2023, 05:24:38 PM »
Ordered Tuesday evening, received them Friday morning, you can’t get much better than that.
The cavalry are corkers, superb.

Online NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #713 on: October 28, 2023, 08:38:21 PM »
Richard,
            Pikes, muskets, twenty figure units?  Aren’t you getting away from the skirmish feel the range started with?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #714 on: October 29, 2023, 02:08:13 PM »
Richard,
            Pikes, muskets, twenty figure units?  Aren’t you getting away from the skirmish feel the range started with?

Yes. It's a shameless deviation from the guiding principle of the entire range - to produce more interesting and characterful figures for the period, rather than yet more rank and file types already catered for by every other manufacturer.
Against that of course, these won't be just any old rank and file pike and shot figures. These will be Bloody Miniatures pike and shot figures, and so, naturally, bursting with personality.

Truthfully, there are a couple of things at play in this decision:

1. People keep asking me for them. And as often as I repeat the design philosophy behind Bloody Miniatures, well - people keep asking me for them. So in the end, I decided not to cut off my nose to spite my face, but to bow to the demands of the market. Who am I to deny my customers what they want? ;)

2. Renegade Miniatures, which were probably the closest fit in style and heft to Bloody Miniatures for one's rank and file needs, have now gone for good it seems, and are becoming more and more difficult to find on eBay. Bicorne Miniatures are obviously still going strong, but some castings of their rank and file figures seem to be getting smaller - which I can only assume is down to using moulds which may now be three or four generations removed from the original master castings. I don't know. But it's certainly the case that the most compatible rank and file figures that were available when I started Bloody Miniatures three years ago, are now either not so available, or not so compatible.
All these ranges were sculpted (mainly) by the masterful Nick Collier. Nick also sculpts the excellent TAG mid-C17th ranges, but these alas, whilst stylistically similar, are a little diminutive by comparison. So, all in all, I decided that it would be remiss not to make some Bloody pike and shot types to fill the gap. Which should, in turn, sustain demand for the wider Bloody range of more individual types.
In short, there is method in my madness.

I also think innovation is desirable, rather than doing what everyone else does. Hence the separate pistol butts for the cavalry. We'll see how actual, cast pikes that look like actual pikes do, versus the wire spear orthodoxy...  lol

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Do what you always do - get what you always get. Etc.  :)

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #715 on: October 29, 2023, 04:03:07 PM »
I suppose you could focus on the less common poses/actions for pikemen and musketeers; such as musketeers using their muskets as clubs or pikemen with cut down pikes. Eventually though, I imagine you will run out of unique poses for common types and be faced with calling the range complete or continuing on with packs that might not make their investment back such as Leek Farmers Eating Apples or Drovers Napping In Hay.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #716 on: October 29, 2023, 05:31:56 PM »
in a nutshell, I think you should push Bloody Miniatures in any direction you desire. I'm no expert on the ECW but just based on the quality of the sculpts alone, the dynamism and bold ideas for said sculpts; I think we are looking at a range of miniatures that is absolutely top drawer, quality driven and the hobby needs more of this stuff IMHO.   8)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 06:26:30 PM by Atheling »

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #717 on: October 29, 2023, 05:41:17 PM »
Well said, Darrell.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #718 on: October 30, 2023, 05:08:14 PM »
in a nutshell, I think you should push Bloody Miniatures in any direction you desire. I'm no expert on the ECW but just based on the quality of the sculpts alone, the dynamism and bold ideas for said sculpts; I think we are looking at a range of miniatures that is absolutely top drawer, quality driven and the hobby needs more of this stuff IMHO.   8)

:)  That's kind of you to say so Darrell.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #719 on: October 30, 2023, 05:15:08 PM »
:)  That's kind of you to say so Darrell.

You're welcome. Bloody Miniatures gave proven to be high quality original sculpts and delving int more rank and file types (forgive my description, the ECW is not my forte). If so, you have pretty much the best ECW in terms of quality and originality going!