Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:43:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [Commercial] Introducing Bloody Miniatures P.50 - A Regiment of Foote  (Read 98116 times)

Offline jcspqr

• Librarian
Re: [Commercial] Introducing Bloody Miniatures P.47 - Bloody Cavalry painted
« Reply #720 on: November 02, 2023, 11:56:30 PM »
Just received my bloody miniatures cavalry today.  For those looking to mix them with TAG cavalry the riders are about the same bulk and about 1/4 of a head taller than comparable TAG Poses.  The Bloody Riders will fit (snuggly) on a TAG horse but will probably need a minor amount of filing to fit properly.  Using TAG horses you can easily mix the bloody riders in with the same unit of TAG.  The Bloody horses are noticeably smaller/slighter than the TAG horses.  TAG riders fit them seamlessly and look fine on the smaller mounts. 

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #721 on: November 04, 2023, 05:22:44 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Jim :)
Glad they arrived safely and good to know they (more or less) fit together with the excellent TAG cavalry, which I also have quite a few of.

My observation on this would be that the TAG horses do vary in size quite a bit. Here's a quick comparison shot of the largest of the TAG horses with the most upright of the Bloody horses.
As you can see, the TAG horse has a more exaggerated dome to its rump, making it a good few mm taller in the hind quarters. Interestingly at the shoulders and neck, they're not so very different. Because of the high rump and backbone, the TAG saddle certainly sits higher on the horse though.

For my money, the Bloody horse is more anatomically correct (I've just spent half an hour studying dozens of horse photos lol). But of course, anatomically correct is not necessarily what wargamers are used to, or therefore want 8)
I'll leave you to make up your mind about the faces... Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Here's another one - horses in more or less the same pose. Once again, the rump is more rounded and raised on the TAG horse (on the left), otherwise, much the same size? As you say, they fit together reasonably well.
(The TAG riders are definitely more diminutive overall, even allowing for the particularly short legs in this example).

In the meantime, I've done three fairly simple head-and-hand swap conversions of the three Bloody cuirassiers, to create a unit of six (pending the arrival of further Bloody armoured horsemen in a future release :))

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #722 on: November 04, 2023, 05:42:23 PM »
Jolly splendid  8)

Where's the flag from?
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline jcspqr

• Librarian
« Reply #723 on: November 04, 2023, 08:09:42 PM »
I agree.  The Bloody Miniatures Horses are anatomically "better." 

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #724 on: November 04, 2023, 08:12:11 PM »
Jolly splendid  8)

Where's the flag from?

Hand painted  :)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #725 on: November 04, 2023, 09:02:07 PM »
Gorgeous! The banner is superb :-* :-*

Veritas liberabit vos. Bible never said the truth would set you free-handed though.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline jcspqr

• Librarian
« Reply #726 on: November 05, 2023, 04:47:58 AM »
might I suggest a set of heads that would work as Finns?

Jim

Offline Harry von Fleischmann

• Scientist
« Reply #727 on: November 12, 2023, 01:10:28 PM »
For me, the beauty of the Bloody range is the sheer characterful nature. Part of this is nostalgia, as a lad I’d buy ECW figures when I saw them and 1970s stock being what it was, that led to a lot of 25mm officers waving swords and far fewer pike or shot than I really needed. The Bloody range delivers that swashbuckling look but with added rank and file who are also swashing their buckles. Gamers of a certain age will remember “The Flashing Blade”; uniforms aside, some of the Bloody Minis seem to have stepped out of that or perhaps “The Last Valley.” As to where the range goes? I’m not sure if I need the full 20+ unit pack but if that helps fund more characters then, good.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #728 on: November 12, 2023, 04:35:12 PM »
For me, the beauty of the Bloody range is the sheer characterful nature. Part of this is nostalgia, as a lad I’d buy ECW figures when I saw them and 1970s stock being what it was, that led to a lot of 25mm officers waving swords and far fewer pike or shot than I really needed. The Bloody range delivers that swashbuckling look but with added rank and file who are also swashing their buckles. Gamers of a certain age will remember “The Flashing Blade”; uniforms aside, some of the Bloody Minis seem to have stepped out of that or perhaps “The Last Valley.” As to where the range goes? I’m not sure if I need the full 20+ unit pack but if that helps fund more characters then, good.

Ah, thank you. You understand my motivation and ethos perfectly :D

The first metal figures I ever bought were five 25mm ECW figures (an officer, drummer, and three firing musketeers) made by Hinchliffe Figurines. 9p each. This from a long-vanished model shop near Croydon. It would have been around 1973/4 and I was 12 years old. I remember my father inquiring if I really intended to blow my entire week's pocket money on five little metal men in such a foolhardy manner? lol (I did!)
The pristine silver figures were duly decanted into a classy little blue Hinchliffe box of their very own, nestling jewel-like in royal blue tissue paper*. It was the start of a lifelong indecent obsession, because I then went on to buy a lot more. Also a lot of Minifigs (only 8p each!) from Bill Brewer's Rye wonderful Stamp & Hobby Shop in Peckham.
Like you, I always had way too many command, character and personality figures compared to rank and file, because they were just more interesting!
Anyway, a mere 47 years (and several different ECW armies bought and sold) later, I finally reached the inevitable end point of that formative childhood experience with Bloody Miniatures lol

* Inspiration for the Bloody red tissue paper that wraps every batch of model soldiers I send out :)

• Scientist
« Reply #729 on: November 12, 2023, 06:56:52 PM »
Our first metal experience are very similar except I bought 3 minifigs middle earth figures in Cowes. A few weeks later the Minifigs catalogue landed and that was that.

I’ll admit now that for a lad who loved history, my grasp of the pike & shot era was very flimsy. All those 25mm renaissance on one page? Must be from the same time….the Spanish had morions in Flashing Blade, the French had floppy hats. The cavaliers had floppy hats…you can see how for a 13 year old with limited pocket money, this wasn’t going to end with anything except a chaotic mess of figures I liked but….a wargaming collection it was not. .
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 06:58:24 PM by Harry von Fleischmann »

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #730 on: November 21, 2023, 02:42:52 PM »
yes indeed. similar experience re: hinchliffe and the lovely boxes. To begin with, BMW model shop in South Wimbledon (as well as Hamleys! - special boxed set of Brit Nap. Inf, iirc).
Then Brewer's emporium (he went 'essex' in a big way, but still had hinchliffe 'out the back').

Perry miniatures have almost got it right in this regard - nice boxes - but then awful artificial fibre-wool material that catches something awful on the metal figures' doo-dads. Or such was the case when I last ordered, anyway.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #731 on: November 21, 2023, 10:12:32 PM »
Yes, I'm not a fan of their sponge padding. As you say, it does tend to snag on all those sharp little casting tendrils  lol

• Scientist
« Reply #732 on: November 23, 2023, 02:43:06 PM »
This is Bloody Minis relevant, honest….
I remember that the Minifigs catalogue had a pic of a large ECW cannon, I seem to think it dwarfed the 25mm crew figures. Probably a culverin? Now, my Bloody collection is recapturing the nostalgia of that range - so are there any suggestions for such a monster artillery piece that would fit with Bloody figures repurposed as crew?

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #733 on: November 27, 2023, 01:46:46 AM »
Dunno if it will prove large enough for your purpose but the Bicorne ECW cannon is a fairly big (and expensive!) piece of ordnance : unless you move up one scale, I am not aware of anything larger currently on the TYW/ECW market (I may very well be mistaken here though).

https://www.bicorne.net/acatalog/BIC-ECWG001---Cannon-768.html#SID=31

Online Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #734 on: November 27, 2023, 03:44:38 AM »
...so are there any suggestions for such a monster artillery piece that would fit with Bloody figures repurposed as crew?
Possibly one of the GW old plastic Empire cannons?