Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:42:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689629
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: L'Art de la Guerre version 4  (Read 3909 times)

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
L'Art de la Guerre version 4
« on: March 21, 2021, 08:14:58 PM »
Version 4 of the incredibly popular Ancients game L'Art de la Guerre is due out on the 19th of April.

North Star's taking orders now: https://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=15404

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
Re: L'Art de la Guerre version 4
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 02:50:37 PM »

Nice.  I had a lot of fun games of the current version.  What's different about the new version?

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 03:07:13 PM »
I’m wondering that too. I had no idea there had been different versions, merely reprintings.

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 05:12:41 PM »
I’m wondering that too. I had no idea there had been different versions, merely reprintings.

The 3rd edition was the first edition available in English I think. The first two were only in French.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 06:20:47 PM »
Ah, thanks. I have the last reprint, which mentioned no changes to the rules or even textual corrections, I think. Will have to wait and see whether this new edition is sufficiently “improved” to warrant consideration.

Offline madaxeman

• Scientist
    • Madaxeman.com
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 11:44:57 PM »
Ah, thanks. I have the last reprint, which mentioned no changes to the rules or even textual corrections, I think. Will have to wait and see whether this new edition is sufficiently “improved” to warrant consideration.

Version 3 - the first one published in English - did have a summary of the changes from previous editions tucked away in the Designers Notes section right at the back (p235 I think)... but we all I think missed it !

V4 will apparently include pretty much all of the clarifications, typo corrections, improved wording/translations and FAQ-type stuff that’s emerged over the last 5-6 years of v3, plus about 20 new army lists, tweaks to the rules and a bit of a (probably fairly lite) overhaul to many of the existing lists as well.

The FAQ stuff was not incorporated into any of the v3 reprints (I think there may have been 3 or even 4 reprints of the English language edition of v3? North Star will presumably know?), which the author told me was largely so no one would feel that they had to buy essentially the same rulebook multiple times - but they have instead always been available on the ADLG website as a download.

Web: Madaxeman.com
On Twitter: twitter.com
On Facebook:  facebook.com
Devon holiday?: The Captains Cottage Brixham

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 12:36:03 AM »
Thank you for that clarification. I hadn’t heard about any of this. Admittedly I haven’t been particularly active in seeking out info, and have never visited the publisher’s site, so what can I expect?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 12:41:59 AM by Andrew_McGuire »

Offline madaxeman

• Scientist
    • Madaxeman.com
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 12:59:24 PM »
Thank you for that clarification. I hadn’t heard about any of this. Admittedly I haven’t been particularly active in seeking out info, and have never visited the publisher’s site, so what can I expect?

Honestly, nothing significant was added or changed with the v3 FAQs. The game plays absolutely fine as-is in v3, so (like almost all other rulesets) almost all of the clarifications are just expansions or wording, or re-writes to parts of the wording to help make it clearer what happens in some rare, unusual situations.

From memory there were only 2 actual (and very corner-case) rules "changes" after v3, both published to outlaw a couple of obscure, but potentially cheesy moves that hadn't been spotted earlier in the process, but which only came to light once he player base expanded dramatically after the release of v3.

If you're not having any/many head-scratching "what does this mean?" moments when playing un-FAQ'ed v3 there's probably no real reason to even download them I guess. 

v4 will include these FAQ points in the main rules, and has list and other actual rules and list changes/evolutions as well.

As is always the case with any rules, if your group is happy playing the current version there is no pressure to upgrade - it's really only if you did decide to take part in events where v4 will be the default version that there is a "need" to pick up the new set.

Offline mc_deli

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 01:49:57 PM »
Thank you for that clarification. I hadn’t heard about any of this.

The ADLG group on Facebook is very active here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/746965518747018/

(And, from today, can actually be found for the first time by searching for ADLG. Marvellous.)

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2021, 03:20:36 PM »
I’m not on FB but thanks anyway. I’m now bookmarking useful blogs etc. on my phone, which I’ve not had long and am still learning how to use.

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2021, 07:18:10 PM »
I have V3 which I have read. It came across as very much of the stable of DBA/DBA and FoG, basing in elements of a standard frontage.

For me the basing was an issue. The rules have 25 - 28mm figures on a frontage of 80mm with is fine as most of my close order foot are on 40mm x 40mm bases. My cavalry is on 25mm x 50mm so three together just about gets there at 80mm.

The convention among regular players however (coming from DBA/FoG) seems to be to adopt the 20mm - 25mm Figures frontage of 60mm. Not an issue if you are just playing with your existing figures against the people you normally game with as long the frontage is the same for both sides. Also not an issue if your figures are individually based.

None of the above is in any way a criticism of the rules. They read well and are great in that they include comprehensive lists which allow you to field armies with a lot less figures than some other mainstream Ancients rules.

My V3 was hard to get hold of and I suspect these rules are likely to sell out very quickly so if they sound like your thing, best to get them when they come out.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 09:43:35 PM by armchairgeneral »

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2021, 09:35:33 PM »
Thank you, I’m sure that’s good advice. I too remember V3 - as I now know to call it - being OOP.

Offline mc_deli

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2021, 03:48:41 PM »
I have V3 which I have read. It came across as very much of the stable of DBA/DBA and FoG, basing in elements of a standard frontage.

For me the basing was an issue. The rules have 25 - 28mm figures on a frontage of 80mm with is fine as most of my close order foot are on 40mm x 40mm bases. My cavalry is on 25mm x 50mm so three together just about gets there at 80mm.

The convention among regular players however (coming from DBA/FoG) seems to be to adopt the 20mm - 25mm Figures frontage of 60mm. Not an issue if you are just playing with your existing figures against the people you normally game with as long the frontage is the same for both sides. Also not an issue if your figures are individually based.

60mm frontage is pretty standard with ADLG players with 25mm. But, in the end, it's base-size agnostic. So, if you have armies that are 50mm or 60 or 80, there's no barrier to play.

Offline mc_deli

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2021, 03:52:36 PM »
I’m not on FB but thanks anyway. I’m now bookmarking useful blogs etc. on my phone, which I’ve not had long and am still learning how to use.
I wish I wasn't on FB - and I wish the usability was better here - because I think the usability problems with the big ancient-medieval forums (here and TxP) are a gift for FB :(

For other blogs on ADLG, you need look no further than one of the post's on this thread: Madaxeman.com has an outrageous amount of content.

The video speeded up battles are good to kill time, the podcast is an acquired taste but great painting fodder... but if you think you might like ADLG then the wiki section with army lists from competition players and the (mildly!) amusing photo battle reports will cost you a few hours. Enjoy!

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2021, 05:10:27 PM »
Thank you. I’ve bookmarked Madaxeman’s site. I suppose he was too modest to mention it himself. (I see there’s a link below his post but that is easily overlooked).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 05:12:25 PM by Andrew_McGuire »