Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:49:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Portuguese General Staff and Battalion Colonels  (Read 773 times)

Offline photocrinch

• Librarian
Portuguese General Staff and Battalion Colonels
« on: March 22, 2021, 01:01:44 PM »
I'm swimming in Portuguese commanders. Photos and a little bit of history on my blog. Would love to hear from you grognards out there who might have resources regarding the identity of Lieutenant-Colonels and also whether British officers in Portuguese service would wear their British uniforms in a pinch. I think this may have happened not infrequently based on Haythornthwaite's description of Warre's habit of wearing his British coat for "every day" wear.

https://miniatureminions.blogspot.com/2021/03/portuguese-general-staff-and-battalion.html

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
Re: Portuguese General Staff and Battalion Colonels
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 05:10:14 PM »
I would have thought that, if they had had time to have one made for them, seconded British officers would generally have worn their Portuguese uniforms in battle, if only to inspire their men.  Beresford certainly wore his, IIRC, but then his posting was long-term, whereas the men Wellington tended to zig-zag between the two armies were usually very competent types who were invariably without wealth or patronage, but deserved a "leg up" (he was far from the miserable curmudgeon with junior officers that he is often made out to be).
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline photocrinch

• Librarian
Re: Portuguese General Staff and Battalion Colonels
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 05:04:02 PM »
Thanks Baron Von Wreckedoften.  I had not thought about how the frequent transfers and low income of junior officers might effect uniform choice.  That supports my idea of keeping ~ one of the two battalion commanders in British uniform, though at the Lt. Col level the expense may have been less of an issue.

David