Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:49:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689603
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Zulu War 1879 Up-date Page 11 New Additions  (Read 20160 times)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Zulu War Project 1879 Up-date Page 3
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2021, 10:00:05 PM »
Thank you very much guys for your kind words.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Zulu War Project 1879 Up-date Page 3
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2021, 08:43:56 AM »
Hello again. So I need to use artistic licence on this miniature from the Perry Miniatures Rorkes Drift range. It started off as Lt Bromhead. I wanted to represent one of the two QMS at Isandlwana. Using Ian Knight's book with a colour plate showing the QMS I looked to suitable miniatures to convert in the Perry Miniature range. I needed a plastic head, sword and liquid putty. Some liquid putty on his lower jaw and chin. To represent the chevrons in the size was problematic given the limited lower sleeve length. I had to apply liquid putty to make the cuff detail on both sleeves.

Edit: I've revisited the right sleeve.

Thank you for looking.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 01:16:34 AM by Helen »

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
Re: Zulu War Project 1879 Up-date Page 5
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2021, 09:08:45 PM »
I do love your conversions, gives me hope to complete a few of my own. Great stuff.

Where are you getting the wonderful tufts, the flowers are particularly nice.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2021, 09:46:32 PM »
I do love your conversions, gives me hope to complete a few of my own. Great stuff.

Where are you getting the wonderful tufts, the flowers are particularly nice.
Thanks bc99. I must admit I really need to tidy up those chevrons.

The flowers, tufts are available from Leadbear's tufts in South Australia. Barry does surface on The Lead Adventure Forum from time to time. Barry only has a Facebook page. His e-mail is: leadbear@internode.on.net

Cheers!

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2021, 07:32:57 AM »
Straight out of the box this vignette from the Perry Miniatures Rorke's Drift character set.

The wounded soldiers undergarment colour is the Vallejo Grey Blue as recommended by Rafa.

My thanks to Rafa for the recipe for the undershirt.

Thanks for looking.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 06:21:50 AM by Helen »

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2021, 08:09:49 AM »
Lovely, looking forward to seeing the QMS :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2021, 08:36:39 PM »
Lovely, looking forward to seeing the QMS :)
Thanks Nick! Me too in seeing the QMS reworked with his lower right sleeve.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 07:24:24 AM by Helen »

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Zulu War 1879 Up-date QMS update Page 5
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2021, 12:50:53 AM »
I may have mentioned in my introduction that Peter Callan has kindly been assisting me with my project. I can now share some additional work by Peter and my thanks once again for his help. Basing completed by me. These miniature figurines are all Perry Miniatures.

Peter is now working on a number of Zulus for me.

Thank you for looking.

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/
Re: Zulu War 1879 Up-date Page 5
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2021, 09:07:00 AM »
Lovely work Helen.

It's a wonderful collection.
Barry

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2021, 09:18:04 AM »
Great stuff! It is very rare for me to go back and fix something I had decided was 'finished', I tend to leave my mistakes in the past. But I have done it occasionally, and I know that irksome feeling of 'if only I'd done this instead' that nags at you. So props to you Helen, for going back and giving it another go. Poor fellow couldn't be expected to face the Zulu with only one cuff!  :)

Loving the MI and those volunteer horse/Mounted Police guys (I'm afraid I can't tell which one they are without running to a reference book) that your friend Peter has done. But I especially like those chubby inDunas. Such characterful figures. Those guys didn't seem to care much about getting their 'bikini body' in shape ready for the campaign season, did they? I guess 'No carbs before Marbs' wasn't a thing back then.  :D

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2021, 09:26:20 AM »
Oh, and regarding the origin of those tufts, am I the only person who finds it odd that the southernmost part of mainland Australia is NOT in South Australia but in Victoria? What were they thinking, calling it "South" Australia?  lol

(Sorry, I sometimes have odd thoughts like that.)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2021, 10:22:11 AM »
More lovely additions, I especially like the Indunas, very characterful as Monsieur Plynkes says. ;D

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2021, 10:29:49 AM »
Lovely work Helen.

It's a wonderful collection.

Thanks Barry. Very kind of you.

Cheers,
Helen

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2021, 10:45:38 AM »
Great stuff! It is very rare for me to go back and fix something I had decided was 'finished', I tend to leave my mistakes in the past. But I have done it occasionally, and I know that irksome feeling of 'if only I'd done this instead' that nags at you. So props to you Helen, for going back and giving it another go. Poor fellow couldn't be expected to face the Zulu with only one cuff!  :)
Loving the MI and those volunteer horse/Mounted Police guys (I'm afraid I can't tell which one they are without running to a reference book) that your friend Peter has done. But I especially like those chubby indunas. Such characterful figures. Those guys didn't seem to care much about getting their 'bikini body' in shape ready for the campaign season, did they? I guess 'No carbs before Marbs' wasn't a thing back then.  :D

Thanks Dylan. Looked to be frank after I first sculpted the chevrons then painted the miniature I was in two minds, but thought oh well this looks okay. I agree, one must look their best when confronting the enemy. :-)

Natal Carbineers in the blue uniform. Black uniform for the Natal Mounted Police (NMP). Don't worry at three scores years my memory is like a sieve and I too need to constantly look to references all the time. I do have proxies to make the NMP miniatures at some point both mounted and dismounted. All the painted dismounted mounted infantry I've completed I need to paint their mounted component less the Imperial Mounted Infantry and Natal Carbineers which were painted by Peter.

I love the inDunas Michael Perry has sculpted and how Peter has painted them. I've remodelled a spare mounted Induna holding a martini henry in his right hand. This is from the sprue set which is handy. I'm going to make him the other Zulu Commander at iSandlwana. He will be accompanied by another foot miniature on the base. When Michael has completed his Franco-Prussian range I'm hoping for him to revisit the range. We are expecting some wagons, perhaps another Zulu Command pack. There is no Natal Native Cavalry so that would be nice too.

Love Michael's work on this Victorian range.

Cheers,
Helen

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2021, 10:46:49 AM »
Oh, and regarding the origin of those tufts, am I the only person who finds it odd that the southernmost part of mainland Australia is NOT in South Australia but in Victoria? What were they thinking, calling it "South" Australia?  lol
(Sorry, I sometimes have odd thoughts like that.)

Who knows, but worth the comment. :-)