Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:03:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gunstore for Zombiegame (Job done, let me show you around the place)  (Read 3381 times)

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
Another step in my yearslong quest of making a zombie gaming table set.
What's a zombie game without a gunstore to loot and baricade?

So, Mission objectives:
1. Multiple exits/entrances. I want models to move through and over the building. Meaning a front and back entrance as well as one in the roof. Speaking of which, there should be more than 1 viable way to get on the roof.
2. Be able to use it in 'normal' modern games as well. The set needs to double as a Marvel Crisis Protocol board as well.
3. I want it to look pretty darn good, but don't overdo the detail. At this point I'm kinda tempted to skirting boards, but that might be overdoing it. Having said that: it should look like a store. Luckily I backed mantics last terrain crate, so some detailing is mostly just painting stuff up. I do like re-using stuff, so I probably will end up magnetising some details.

So, so far I have this. Base build is about done. I need to do the roof and some minor detailing. Than I can paint the sucker and get my interior decorating hat on.
I mostly used my proxxon Hot wire and PXE foam. Some cardboard for the thinnest details.

On the roof I'll put something of a generator and I want a skyliight to be able to look into the shop, as well as create some interest in anotherwise rather blocky building. I tried to do something with each side. With the back having an open space, where I can place a dumpster or something.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 07:20:03 PM by The Voivod »
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
Re: Gunstore for Zombiegame
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 06:12:48 AM »
That is coming along nicely, you have a good eye for detail.

Offline Chimpfoot

• Mad Scientist
  • Life is a daring adventure or nothing at all
    • chimpfoots tavern
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 07:01:40 AM »
Splendid so far 👍🏼
chimpfoots-tavern.blogspot.com

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 07:20:54 AM »
Nice looking brickwork  :)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 11:52:17 AM »
Excellent! You're making good progress there as well :)

With all the entrances/exits, this looks to become a very playable piece. And of course it will also work really well with your Crisis Protocol minis (Thor doesn't fit through the door? So what? Superheroes/villains are always larger than life ;) ).

Can't wait to get to game on this...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2021, 01:37:45 PM »
On the back of the building should be metal tubing that the wiring for the building is in. Spot light over the back door. Bars over any window...maybe a small window near the door? Trash can/s. A step/handrail? Graffetti, plastered poster or concert adds. Just some ideas into the hopper.
http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2021, 05:08:41 PM »
Thanks, all. I'm hoping to get some more done tomorrow or at least the weekend.

Can't wait to get to game on this...
Well, the speed I work, you're gonna have to  :P
My aim is to get a playable set this year, but you know how it goes. Plenty of stuff to get me distracted, too.

On the back of the building should be metal tubing that the wiring for the building is in. Spot light over the back door. Bars over any window...maybe a small window near the door? Trash can/s. A step/handrail? Graffetti, plastered poster or concert adds. Just some ideas into the hopper.
Wowowowow, you must have missed the part where I wouldn't overdo it on the detail. :D
But in all seriousness, I already have barred up windows at the ready. The skylight will remain bar-less. Graffiti and posters are already in the plans and trashcans and dumpsters are in my terrain crate stuff, waiting for paint. There's already a small box on the back that will get some metal tubing and I'll add a drainpipe.
Hadn't thought about a spotlight at the backdoor, but absolutely gonna add it now.

There's a lot of experimenting to be done. I'm gonna try and paint the bricks and grout a diiferent colours and plan to experiment with decals for graffiti

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2021, 04:46:27 PM »
Busy day. I finished most of the roof build and added some detail. This seems most of the mainbuild complete. The windows and skylight are mostly done, so now I need some furniture and paint some terrain crate stuff.
I think the roof ended up a bit to wide for the build, but it needs to be removable.I'm still pretty pleased. I think theres plenty going on for what is pretty muck a rectangular block.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2021, 02:50:18 PM »
Actually, it appears that most of Alfrik's suggestions were already taken into account, by the look of it. And I have the feeling that that graffiti will end up ok too... ;)

Great work and progress; you're really powering through this build! 8)

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2021, 01:20:46 PM »
Yeah, if I overdo it a bit more I might be getting into dollhouse territory :P . I can think of plenty of more details to put into this, but I want it to be playable as well.

Not quite done, but I’m hard pressed for a couple of day to make much progress. I really like how it’s turning out. Maybe I won’t add any more structure to the bricks a next time, as it took me a bit longer drybrushing as I’d liked.
These results are mainly achieved with cheap art brushes and acrylic paints. Just a small selection and mixing the lot. Drybrushing and washing, it still needs some detail. The doors still need a wash, and there needs to be done some work on the inside. Than it’s off to the details
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 01:23:11 PM by The Voivod »

Offline clanmac

• Mad Scientist
  • Danger - Stupid and Industrious
    • Clan Mac's Post Apocalyptia
Re: Gunstore for Zombiegame (painting almost done)
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2021, 01:26:31 PM »
Wonderful job. The bricks are particularly good.
Mac

It's not big, or clever, but let's do it anyway

https://www.facebook.com/Junkt0wn/

Offline Chimpfoot

• Mad Scientist
  • Life is a daring adventure or nothing at all
    • chimpfoots tavern
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2021, 06:45:21 PM »
Nice work 😊

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 09:33:01 PM »
Nice.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2021, 12:22:27 PM »
you're getting there!

I agree on the brick work; it looks great. Can't wait to see the detailing... 8)

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
Gunstore for Zombiegame (Job done, let me show you around the place)
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2021, 07:19:37 PM »
I've been working of and on on this thing. I wanted to varnish the bugger, but my rattle can all but exploded on me. Luckily I ws able to put it aside, while it emptied itself. This meant some delay as I had to order a new one, with all the stores closed.
I did finish some details in the meantime. a display cabinet, which I made with some XPS foam, match sticks, cardboard and overhead sheets. I filled this with some guns from a warlord sprue. I also made a cashiers desk, with a small display, but more importantly, some tin hidden so I could add magnetized mantic bits on them.

I was also bothered there was no ladder. I ended up drilling holes in some coffee stirrers I got from starbucks. I widened the holes with a needle file and put some cocktail stick in them with some pva. Once dry, I snipped of the parts I didn't need. Bit labour intensive, but I like the result and I'll probably be making a bunch of these in the future...

The graffiti ( before the varnish) enden up pretty good. I got some transfer paper that didn't work on Daeothar's printer, but should work on mine, since that was the one he originally bought them for. The transparent stuff did get through, no matter how much I played with settings, but the white one worked fine. Bit more hassle, but I could work with it. I made some extra transfers to experiment with and it ended up working fine, after trying 1 on a test piece. I did end up dabbing the transfer a bit with my finger, to get in all the nooks and crannies, but the big thing was, it got there. It was a bit damaged, but nothing a little black lining couldn't fix, paired with a tiny amount of dry brushing to simulate some wear and tear, with the original colour of the bricks.
I tried a Transfer on the garage door, but it ended up looking like crap, so I was lucky to be able to remove it.

Once the building was varnished I tried to insert the windows. Learning points:
-Openings for windows will, from now on, be in walls with 2 layers. The inside opening will be a bit smaller, so I have surface to apply the window, without gaps.
- Any bars on windows will be attached after the windows themselves are in place.

It took me way took long to cut the things to the right side and I ended up needing to put some more strips on to hide the gaps. The same procedure was necessary on the skylight.
But I ended up finishing the project. The building has 3 entrances on ground level and I figure survivors can get on top by the ladder or drain pipe, allowing for al lot of mobility. It's a great objective to get some guns in a game, or I can remover the boxes from the garage and put in an escape vehicle, making it a perfect stronghold in Last Days.
Not quite sure what my next project is. Feel like some light painting, but I'm sure to soon return to post-apocalyptic sub urban America and get some more buildings in.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 07:33:35 AM by The Voivod »