Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:30:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689638
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Anyone seen a witch? - Operation Stokesay  (Read 24593 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Anyone seen a witch?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2021, 01:35:16 PM »
What a great idea :)

Have you seen Anevilgiraffe’s long running Witch Hunter thread here: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=30813.0 ?

Might provide some more inspiration. It’s along similar lines, and very well done  :)

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2021, 02:45:28 PM »
You could just use the FFoL Gothic Horror supplement . We've used it for a medieval game with werewolves (which are in the supplement, along with vampires and undead etc.) and I could see it working just as well for a Witchfinder game.

I'm thinking of En Garde, Donnybook (although intended for larger skirmish games it can handle smaller) or possibly a chopped about version of the LOTR SBG rules from GW
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2021, 03:49:42 PM »
All good ideas thanks.  Once I have read the Witchfinder rules, I will have an idea which way I want to go.

As if by fate, Witchfinder General with Vincent Price was on the box last night (or night before) so recorded it for watching, plus as I have Dog Soldiers, I watched it again and thought....yes, a seventeenth century version, sat out in the boonies so no need for many buildings ( in fact I already have a couple of Tabletop World houses) would be cool!

These two werewolves are great, though I think to stop me remembering they are wierd ww2, I need to at least add some gaiters to the bottom of their breeches.  However, I have had my eye on a set of three lovely looking, larger werewolves, so they can be full lycans.

I have ordered a set of sword wielding pikemen and a few musketeers from Bicorne.  Once assembled, I will add some paint.

Offline Ghost

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2021, 02:20:16 PM »
The "Witchin Hour" rule from Hazard Game design seems to match the game you intend to play.
Some members talk about it here

Offline Paulonious

• Assistant
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2021, 11:59:55 PM »
Since I mostly play solo, I am collecting witch hunter minis for Nightwatch rules. On first reading it seemed to me that they would be perfect for a Solomon Kane type hunter group. I have on my painting desk witches, spirits, ghouls, demons and scarecrows that need assembling and painting. For me, it lets me do a different kind of fantasy gaming. Having recently read The Witch Hunter Chronicles by Stuart Daly, I have the bug most definitely.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2021, 06:09:10 PM »
Well it’s going to take me a bit to zero in on rules and I think it’s going to be a hybrid. 

In my minds eye, I want this to me multiplayer, quick and fun.  Probably using some of the FFoL mechanics, but with lots of colour thrown in.  My copy of Days of Revelation rules just landed so have that to read first.

Meanwhile, have a little clear air, so thought I’d make a start on a few minis.  First job as I mentioned before, a simple little addition to the two werewolves I already have.  Just flavour enough to make them feel seventeenth century!

Besides, in my minds eye, these two fellas will be “turned” in game, so putting at least one in typical breeches of Earl of Mancs colours will look good.

So far, I have identified three teams of adventurers.

Dismounted Cavalry, well protected in their pots,  buff coats and back and breast plate, picket guns / harquebus and mortuary swords....the “Dog Soldiers”

Pike, mostly armed with tucks or pole arms, again well protected with similar armour to the cavalry.  One of them is particularly dangerous.....do himself and his mates at least, as he’s found a pistol!

Musketeers, muskets, tuck swords ....not so well armoured, but more accurate and ranged than the cav. 

Ideally I need a fourth......haven’t yet decided where to take it......

« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 06:14:08 PM by Digits »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2021, 03:01:17 PM »
Ideally I need a fourth......haven’t yet decided where to take it......

My I suggest, 'Clubmen'. Some irate locals with (as JC would say)
'Impoverished' weapons. (can't afford expensive weapons).
OR
Ranters
OR
Levelers
Any of the above should include a rabble rousing leader/priest/deserter.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2021, 03:40:53 PM »
Yup, I thought of a rabble...but they need to be able to stand a chance!

I though professional gun crew....or simply a witch Hunter and retinue.

Anyway, WIP shot whilst I figure out how to finish them! Lol.....I’m pretty crap at things like this!

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2021, 05:45:25 PM »
Good start.  I agree with the Levellers suggestion, give them a fiery preacher and servant and an executioner to lead them.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2021, 10:50:09 AM »
I do like those werewolf conversions. I may have to revisit some figures from the leadpile to steal that idea.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2021, 10:52:47 AM »
I do like those werewolf conversions. I may have to revisit some figures from the leadpile to steal that idea.
Digit's Werewolf conversions, are...Pants! lol lol lol

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2021, 11:12:02 AM »
Very intersting, I'll follow this thread with interest! I've got the nice witches from Rapier Miniatures but still not finished to paint them (by lack of campaign ideas probably).

In my gaming group we've seen some witching activity in TYW skirmish game scenarios, but never as a main subject, rather as something hidden somewhere on the gaming table and only one or two players knew about it, the others did not see anything and could well believe it was an all-historical skirmish (although they suspected that some of their opponents or allies were looking after something weird) for exemple in this AAR:
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=80123.msg981827#msg981827

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2021, 11:42:02 AM »
Yes I’ve a few Rapier Witches in the cauldron so to speak!

Pete.....terrible!  But so true!

Whitenight....probably the easiest conversions you’ll ever do!

Will try and finish the werewolves this weekend....

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2021, 06:18:23 PM »
Looking forward to seeing where you go with this.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2021, 01:26:46 AM »
Always like to see more 17th C folk horror/gunpowder fantasy!

My own ECW stuff is trending much more gunpowder fantasy than folk horror at present, though I do have a bunch of demon doggie things I need to finish and a few werewolves.