Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:39:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686616
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: US Cutter Service, 2nd Seminole War  (Read 1254 times)

Offline BillK

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
US Cutter Service, 2nd Seminole War
« on: May 22, 2021, 07:41:54 PM »
All, looking for any/all good uniform and equipment references for US Revenue Cutter Service troops that served in support of US Army and Navy troops during the 2nd Seminole War. Also interested in reports of their actions; memoirs and historical non-fiction books or other writings.
Thanks in advance, Bill
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 09:00:46 PM by BillK »

Offline bulldogger2000

• Scientist
Re: US Cutter Service, 2nd Seminole War
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 09:33:26 PM »
It has been a while since I researched the Cutter Service, but as I recall their uniforms were largely identical to the US Naval Uniform.
You can find a few books on Amazon for the 2nd Seminole War that do not deal exclusively with the Cutter Service, but they do include Cutter Service involvement.  You may want to stay away from the 3rd Seminole War as it was very lopsided and boring. 

Offline BillK

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 07:25:22 PM »
Thanks Bob, followed up on some of your earlier suggestions; back at the point I began this project. Now I am looking for things that someone may have that are off the beaten path, or at least the paths I have been treading.

Seminoles are all done. I think. Have OG MexAm Naval Landing Party to use as Revenue Cutter Service troops and am just looking for additional references to add to my knowledge. Like... did they typically have bayonets fixed or sheathed? Thinking sheathed would have been most likely given terrain and circumstances... but before I cut and file the figs it can't hurt to check around.

Cheers

Offline Florida Tory

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 01:50:46 PM »
Have you read George Buker's Swamp Sailors in the Second Seminole War? The book covers the maritime operations, including involvement of the the Navy, Marine Corps and Revenue Service.

FYI, there is a photograph captioned "US sailors and marines operating in the Everglades" that clearly shows fixed bayonets.

Rick

Offline BillK

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2021, 03:08:22 PM »
@Rick, thanks. I have not read it. Noticed it during my last browse thru Amazon. I was wondering if the US Revenue Cutter Service had been lumped-in under the navy and marine topic that is noted as the book's focal point.

Offline dglennjr

• Lurker
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2021, 07:46:06 PM »
Technically not a photograph in the book (No photos around yet), but rather an artistic rendering of the navy in the swamps.  Though, I agree that if they had bayonets, they would have had them fixed.  The Army had adapted to using a bayonet charge after a volley or two to chase the Seminoles away. It was a sound tactic.  The Seminoles did not take very good of their weapons and usually after firing a time or two, the guns would be fouled and they would retire.  By trained troops charging with fixed bayonets towards the Seminoles, that might have had fouled guns with no bayonets, they would run that much faster away from the battle and the U.S. troops would take the field.   For the navy, they never knew who might pop up and shoot or attack them from behind any nearby bush or tree.  I'd move through the bush with fixed bayonet too.