Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:14:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ring lights, iPhones and Workbench Photos?  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Ring lights, iPhones and Workbench Photos?
« on: April 20, 2021, 02:37:06 AM »
I really like it when folks here post photos of their WIPs and finished minis in a workbench setting. I don't have an expensive camera and find my iPhone 8 takes pretty good pics. The trouble is, I find the worklights insufficient for photos and was thinking using one of those ring lights all the kids are using for social media content to alleviate the lighting issues.

Anyone use one of these with any degree of success?

Offline modelwarrior

• Scientist
    • themodelwarrior
Re: Ring lights, iPhones and Workbench Photos?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 08:41:37 AM »
 I had to google a ring light to find out what is was lol. Never used one myself but lots of google hits for people using them to take pictures of miniatures with success. To be honest any extra light you can get onto the model is going to help. I just use the blue daylight bulbs in a standard desk lamp.

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 06:24:41 PM »
Actually, I'd never heard of them before but saw a few commercials where people were doing some kind of broadcasting on a YouTube channel and I saw the ring light around their phone and had to ask the girlfriend "what that was".  :?

I just found a decent website for miniatures called "Tangible Day" and there's a section about the best ring lights for photographing minis.

https://tangibleday.com/5-best-led-ring-lights-for-miniature-photography-review/

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Major Thomas Foolery
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 07:17:06 PM »
I just recently started using my wife's ring light while taking pics with my phone, and so far it's worked fairly well (though I'm still experimenting). Hers allows you to adjust to brightness and change from warm yellow tones through colder blue tones, which is really nice.  Having light source above and below the camera has also helped with the shadows on the figures.  Here is one of my attempts:

One thing I would recommend is getting one where the stand lets you get light pretty low to the table surface, or placing your figures up on a raised platform.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room." -President Merkin Muffley
http://majorthomasfoolery.blogspot.com/