Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:39:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686625
  • Total Topics: 118115
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My modern streeet gangs (Silent Slumbers Motel added 11/25/23)  (Read 7350 times)

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
Re: My modern streeet gangs (Franklinton Flippos added 6/10/21)
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2021, 05:14:25 PM »
Ooh, that's good to know on the RP.  My collection ranges from 25–28, and some 30s which give a great natural height range.  Mixing some RP and Crooked Dice will be perfect here.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
Re: My modern streeet gangs (Eastmoor Kings added 6/23/21)
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2021, 02:36:47 PM »
I played Mike's Eastmoor Kings at our recent Drums at the Rapids convention.  Great gang - as Mike mentioned on another thread here, I won the game with them!  Also, as far as Crooked Dice's police go, they have 5 sets - all with 4 figs and plenty of head/hat options (bare head, "bus driver" hats, "Smokey-the-Bear" hats, and baseball caps.  The sets even have female officers!  Each of the 5 sets have different weapon options - one set each of batons, pistols (semi-autos), shotguns, patrol rifles, and bolt-action rifles.  Without meaning to horn in on Mike's thread, here are some pics of those police officers I recently painted up...

"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2021, 04:20:12 PM »
Thanks, Jim! And those are some great figs. Need to find a way to work the coppers into my games, too...  :D

Mike Demana
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/

Offline KD47

• Librarian
  • What is best in life?
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2021, 01:02:17 AM »
These are really well done.   Cat's idea about "The Warriors" has some merit.   The baseball furies are really cool.

Ahh the movies of the 80s.  I think I'll need to make the Duke of New York and his crazy flunky as a project sometime soon.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 01:08:10 AM by KD47 »
For former content of mine, search my former user ID kalebdaark:

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=4831

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2021, 05:33:40 PM »

"Can you dig it, suckas...?" - the first of my gangs I painted up for my Mean Streets rules

Time to add another of my street gangs to this thread. This time, it will be my very first gang I painted up -- the Linden Daos. They were modeled after the Riffs from the Warriors movie. Essentially, it is a black martial arts gang. I picked a color combination for their uniforms that is bright and bold, as were the styles back in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

I used the Kung Fu Fighters box from the 28mm Mega Miniatures line

The rank and file gang members are from the Kung Fu Fighters box from Mega Miniatures, which appear to be out of production. I had actually already painted up 12 figures of from the box as the Order of the Fire Coral for my 28mm Pulp campaign. I had only four of the poses from the box, left over. Luckily, these were the unarmed punching and kicking poses, which is what I wanted for this gang. I gave them purple pants and yellow shirts. I liked the contrast that the yellow would make against the dark brown I  used for their skin color. Their gang symbol was the Yin-Yang Daoist symbol, one in black and white, to reflect their commitment to martial arts.

Hearing another gang is entering their turf, the Daos move out onto the streets around Jack and Benny's Old-Time Diner

As I mentioned before, all of my fictional gangs are set in actual Columbus, Ohio, neighborhoods. Linden is not far from the area I grew up in, and is predominantly black neighborhood. So, it made sense to base the Daos there. For the leaders of the gang, I used repurposed miniatures from Pulp Figures. The female figure is from their Oriental Street Personalities line, and is meant to be hold a parasol. However, I felt her pose without the parasol worked well as a martial arts one.

The leaders of the Linden Daos, which I believe are all from Pulp Figures

The other two leaders I also believe are from Pulp Figures. The leader holding the pipe is from their Chinese civilians line, I believe. I am not sure where the guy with the turban and sword is from, unfortunately. I liked his pipe and cane -- I thought it made him look like one of those "old martial arts masters." You know, the ones that look elderly and frail, but then proceed to kick the snot out of arrogant young bullies!  lol

lThe Linden Daos

Their basing was an early iteration of using blended gray ballast from Woodland Scenics. I used the medium weight ballast that I already had, but later decided to go with the fine. I also did a black wash over the ballast to tone down its brightness and dirty it up a little. I've considered going back and fixing the basing, but likely won't do it. Having one gang on the tabletop whose flocking doesn't match the others is hardly a major problem.

The Linden Daos stake out their territory on the neighborhood basketball court

The Daos did most of their street fighting in my early games of Mean Streets. Lately, I've been using my newer gangs like the Santanas and the Mohawks in my convention games. They are very colorful, though, and I probably should get them back into another rumble soon!

Everyone on the streets knows that Jack and Benny's Old Time Diner is Linden Dao turf!

Hope you enjoy the pictures! Thanks for all the comments on this thread, so far...

Mike Demana

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
Re: My modern streeet gangs (Linden Daos added 7/12/21)
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2021, 05:52:44 PM »
A great gang — and the old Mega Miniatures are back in production via Turnkey Miniatures:
http://www.turnkeyminiatures.com/

They also have a bunch of great civilians, and I found a few of their Fantasy figures work pretty well too.  Their shopping cart has been a bit wonky, and their vendor is still working on it.  Apparently, small orders go through OK, but with large orders the cart empties when you try to check out.
: P

I was finally able to get my order through by emailing them a screencap of my cart contents and then they sent a PayPal invoice.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2021, 08:24:39 PM »
Thanks for the info -- I liked Mega Miniatures for their unusual miniatures. Glad to hear they're back in production.

Mike Demana

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2021, 08:38:59 PM »
Love ‘em...excellent choice of minis

:)

Offline KD47

• Librarian
  • What is best in life?
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2021, 01:20:11 AM »
The gas pumps and such are from the WizKids gas station terrain kit.   A great set, I have one.   Also comes with ice machine, propane tank, barrels, etc.   I'll be making an "Orbit" gas station (yes, it's a real chain) some time in the future and will post the write up when it's done.   More projects on the bench before that though.

Nice set and minis here.   I'll have to get a copy of the Mean Street rules.  Looks like fun times.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2021, 05:14:32 PM »
Another cool gang, Mike.  Well done!

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2021, 06:14:43 PM »
Very nice!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
Re: My modern streeet gangs (Silent Slumbers Motel added 11/25/23)
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2023, 10:34:10 PM »

I normally just showcase my miniatures in this thread, but I thought I'd make an exception with this building. It is from Miniature Building Authority and is their Two Story Shantytown Hotel. I bought it at a local convention and it took a year, but finally got it all painted up.

Once the two balconies are glued on, it is essentially three pieces of hefty resin: upper floor, lower floor, and roof. I did add a strip a wooden molding on the front of the lower floor to help hold the upper floor in place. The top step of the stone staircase, which is glued to the lower floor, helps hold it from shifting, too. I considered using magnets, but feel it is big enough with a wide enough footprint that the chances of it slipping significantly during play are slim.

There is an impressive amount of detail molded onto this model. Each room has an air conditioning unit attached along the back side of the building. There are wires that run to each unit, and even metal brackets that would hold the cords in place affixed onto the outer walls. The craziest detail is the trash and debris in the corridors!

I followed my usual recipe for painting a resin building. I spray painted it first in Krylon Matte Black. Next, I went over it all in a 50/50 mix of acrylic black paint and water. This allows the color to seep into all the crevices. Next, I did a heavy wetbrush of Howard Hues Camo Brown paint for the exterior walls. This was followed up by a dry brush of HH Colonial Khaki paint. For the interior rooms, which I actually completed first, I used four different pastel type colors. I did the tile floor in a contrasting color.

The next step was doing all of the details -- window and door frames, blinds for the windows, doors, door handles, air conditioning units, cords, metal brackets...yikes! There was a LOT to do on this model, but I am very happy with how it came out. That's part of the reasons I am resurrecting this thread because it seems the best place to show it off.

After each section was painted, I went over it with a watered down dark brown Vallejo Vehicle Wash. I really like the creamy look this gave the outer walls. I always think a light wash over a dry brushed surface does a nice job of softening the look and blending the brush strokes.

I posed one of my 28mm street gangs for my rules, Mean Streets: War in gang-infested cities (http://www.firstcommandwargames.com/mean-streets.html) in an amongst the motel for effect. I can definitely foresee some gang rumbles taking place over this hotel in the future!

Hope you enjoyed it, and I highly recommend MBA's excellent buildings and scatter terrain (https://www.miniaturebuildingauthority.com/)!

Mike Demana

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2023, 02:18:03 AM »
Ooh — fun model and painted up very nicely!

Offline Andy in Germany

• Scientist
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2023, 07:06:20 AM »
Lovely painting.

Offline mikos khan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2023, 05:54:16 PM »
Great job on that motel!  I've gotta get one of those!