Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:50:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 655
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for recommendations for 10-15mm Sci Fi ruleset  (Read 1316 times)

Offline aktr

• Librarian
Looking for recommendations for 10-15mm Sci Fi ruleset
« on: March 31, 2021, 04:56:57 PM »
Hi,
Yes I'm asking for more rules recommendations I share I'll actually playing at some point.

Anyway
Does anyone have any recommendations for 10-15mm sci fi wargames
Preferably that involve lots of tanks

I know of Dropzone commander but im after something a bit more generic that I can just but cool minis for abd turn them into an army.

Must have a printed rulebook that I can buy in the UK. PDFs are all well and good but I find it much easier to learn a gane if the rules and on a dead tree

Cheers

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
Re: Looking for recommendations for 10-15mm Sci Fi ruleset
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 05:17:41 PM »
Being unwilling or unable to print pdfs rules out most of the ones I'd suggest.  I guess maybe Tomorrow's War, there are probably copies of that floating around the UK and it's reasonably good at handling multiple vehicles.  Alternative Armies' Ion Age rules ought to be easy to come by as well - IIRC Callsign Taranis was the vehicle-focused expansion.   

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 06:06:41 PM »
Hi I dabbled with 15mm for awhile before settling back to 28-32mm and 6mm.

However the 15mm sci-fi rules I really liked were Critical Mass, now from Ral Partha (including the miniatures) there also used to be a force designer, but I am not sure about now?

I think the rules are available in print still?

Best of luck

Glen
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 06:40:46 PM »
Sounds like a case for Future War Commander.
Or you get Quadrant 13 and bump up the number of vehicles.
Or you get any version of epic 40k and adapt it for your vehicles of choice.

What about Horizon Wars? People like that one, right?

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2021, 10:23:00 AM »
Future War Commander.
Or you get any version of epic 40k and adapt it for your vehicles of choice.

Yeah, these would be my choices personally.

Also, a quick note on Epic; the third edition rules are pretty easy and cheap to find on eBay (split across three small A5-format books in total: "Rules", Armies", and "Battles"), and despite the mixed response from the wider gaming community, I have found them to be an excellent set of rules - fast to play, lots of manoeuvring, and has a reasonable mix of small and large scale detail.

The only big tweak I think they need is for units to have a separate firefight value added to their statline. This is because outside of movement, there are three main fighting phases in the game; shooting, close combat, and firefights (which are very close-range shooting engagements, each of which is meant to represent a game of full-sized 40k!).

This is because shooting and firefights use the same stat (Firepower), and so this means that units which are good at shooting dominate too much in 2/3 combat phases of the game. Splitting this stat means that units like flamethrower tanks can still be good at firefights, but are now poorer in the shooting phase. An easy way to do this is to show a unit's Firepower value as a split stat, say "1/3" - this means that you get 1 Firepower for shooting, and 3 Firepower for firefighting for example. Since you will likely be making some stats to suit your model collection, this would be an easy thing to incorporate.

In any case, the rules are solid structurally, and you can also add things like further unit special abilities quite easily if you want to.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2021, 11:35:06 AM »
I have a 15mm sci-Fi project on the back burner.
It has been there a loooong time, waiting for a suitable set of rules.
I like, I REALLY like the 'Fistful of Lead' series of rules & now plan to
use their 'Big Battles' set for 15mm Sci-Fi. I fancy basing the PBI
(Poor Bleeding Infantry) on various round bases (That is YOUR
fault Vodkafan!) Why don't you give them a look?
Available in the UK from our very own Oshirio Games.

Offline Moriarty

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2021, 03:34:39 PM »
Epic Space Marine are a good set, available second had off t’ebay.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2021, 06:00:47 PM »
I have no personal experience of it, but judging by the AARs I’ve read - admittedly by one of the authors - Hammer’s Slammers: The Crucible gives a good game. Obviously a lot depends on your interest in the setting - a futuristic projection of  Vietnam / Cold War combined arms warfare on earth-like planets. It’s one I’d like to try.

Offline williamb

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2021, 06:49:24 PM »
The Hammers Slammers rule book is 1:1 scale and has infantry weapons with ranges several feet in length.  Tanks are fighting at point blank range.

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2021, 08:22:52 PM »
The Hammers Slammers rule book is 1:1 scale and has infantry weapons with ranges several feet in length.  Tanks are fighting at point blank range.

Which happens pretty often in the source material as well.  Desperate assaults and overruns are pretty common for both the Slammers and the people fighting them, mostly because almost anyone who tries to trade shots with them at long ranges just dies horribly under their artillery or from 20cm powerguns that can shoot to the horizon.  That probably happens more often than we really see in the fiction, but a one-sided massacre isn't really interesting as a story.