Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:32:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warriors of the Reconquista! Grandmaster Order of Calatrava 08/02/2023  (Read 29014 times)

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
Re: Warriors of the Reconquista!
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2021, 02:53:43 PM »
Those are extremely nice miniatures and the printing is excellent. Thanks for the information.  :-* :-*

However I don't think your calculations take into account the cost of the initial set up.  You will have to print around 70 figures before you break even.  Thereafter each additional model will be a fraction of the cost of buying metal figures, especially when you also factor in postage etc.  Overall if the printer stands up to the task, and the ranges continue to expand, I think you will have made a sound investment.  Who knows I might even follow your example.  :D

Yes, the printer is a huge cost and it was a gamble. As I knew absolutly nothing about 3D printing. The reason I bought it was because I couldn't resist those Spanish knights anymore. For me that patreon alone justifies the investment. If you are also into fantasy miniatures, for that there is a huge selection of Patreons / 3D files.

Another benefit is that you print the miniatures as many times as you want. I am going to make a skirmish retinue, but also an army for Swordpoint. So I will print the mini's twice. One part based on round and pilbox bases and than again for 40x40mm and 50x50mm bases.  :)

These look really well. Is there a lot of work cleaning them up? There looked to be a lot of "struts" in the 3d renders you showed a few images back. Do they come off pretty easy when printed?

No, it's a bit more work than a very good metal cast (I.e Claymore Castings). The benefit is that there is only the rider and the mount. There are no other parts. This is because the sculptor doesn't have think about the layout / design for a mould.

The supports are very easy to remove. But you have to do it before curing.
Curing: After it's printed and cleaned in alcohol. it needs to be placed a couple of minutes in UV lights (i.e outside in the sun).
So before the curing phase, but after the cleaning in alcohol. You need to place the mini's in hot water and than you can easly remove it. It's easier than removing parts from a plastic sprue. If you wait after curing it's the same as removing from a plastic sprue.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2021, 04:19:37 PM »
I’ve now been able to see the images on a computer at the library. I’m not sure this qualifies as ‘essential use’ but it worked for me. I wonder if they’ll ever get a 3D printer in?

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2021, 04:02:51 PM »
The two first knights are finished! : :)

They hail from the kingdom of Aragon!

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Wonderful.  :-* :-*

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
They really are very nice.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Tordenkuglen

• Bookworm
  • Tordenkuglen aka Thunderball
Both are awesome, love the little detail on the blue shield with the "rope" bits flying, makes it very dynamic.
Playing or wanting to play: FoW, Swordpoint, Saga, Donny Brook, Sharp Practice, Soldiers of God, Trafalgar, Check your Six, Hail Caesar, Pike n Shotte, Black Powder and much more. main interests in wargaming periods is between Iron and Black Powder.

Offline mmcv

• Librarian
Looking good

Online Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Lovely work all 'round but the horseflesh really stands out as excellent  :-*

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Beautiful  :-*

Offline GulKelan

• Librarian
apart from  these amazing sculpts and paintjobs, i also love your bases

What products do you use? the plants look amazing!

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
Thank you all for the nice comments!  :)

apart from  these amazing sculpts and paintjobs, i also love your bases

What products do you use? the plants look amazing!

I have bought them from here:
https://www.dioramapresepe.com/en/shop/?fbclid=IwAR0RwUuQmJeH_vgxplEtqYx7CDrV-wAhNGhzyT6fv_4y_WeLyQcO0vZMaD8
The choice of diffent plants is mindblowing  :o

Offline GulKelan

• Librarian
yes indeed, was already thinking its one of their products...
really beautiful!

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Lovely brushwork! And I‘ve got to agree with Atheling on the horses, except that sane horses don’t have white eyes, you usually only see black.

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
Lovely brushwork! And I‘ve got to agree with Atheling on the horses, except that sane horses don’t have white eyes, you usually only see black.

Lol, you are right.  :D I will need to correct that. ;)

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
Fabulous sculpts with a great paint job!  Does the horse come attached to a base?