Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:11:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686458
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Need Help with Blood Bowl  (Read 1139 times)

Offline palaeomerus

• Scientist
  • " We've Got Movement!"
Need Help with Blood Bowl
« on: April 06, 2021, 05:16:02 AM »
I ordered the boxed set and several teams.

I'm not sure what all I need. I know the teams I bought are just models and I'll need something like codex, cards, team lists and such.

I assume there is an annual and cards and stuff sold separately.

It's hard to tell what is important on GWs site and talk of blood bowl is not widespread enough that I can catch up by looking at forum posts and blogs.

So if anyone is into Blood Bowl, the latest "2nd" edition please let me know what I need apart from models and the box set. Thanks,

Offline Karadek

• Scientist
    • Xenia Gamers Club
Re: Need Help with Blood Bowl
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 01:11:41 PM »
That's enough to start. The rules for the teams should be in the box. I'm not super up on it either since I still play 3rd ed from like 1993. Ultimately, you will want to get the Death Zone book, whenever it is released. Maybe it has already?

Blood Bowl requires a lot less investment and materials than the other games. Probably why it goes in and out of production.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 01:31:30 PM »
The Death Zone book for the new edition is just optional stuff, not necessary.
The latest release of BB (Second Season Edition) has all the team rules in the rulebook. along with dice, rulers, etc. It has everything you need. There are magazines, called Spike!, but most of them are for the older edition. the only two for the current edition are the ones for the Necromantic team and the one for the Black Orc/Human Noble teams. However, these magazines are mainly just fun and fluff as, again, the rules for these teams are in the rulebook that comes in the box. The are other odds and ends for sale that are also optional. Team cards, pitches, dice, etc. None of it necessary. The team cards are just the team rosters and star players in card format.

If you have the new box you are good to go.

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 09:22:13 PM »
Most of the new BB stuff is great, but I substituted some teams with miniatures from Black Scorpion miniatures (Dwarfs, Dark Elves and Skaven) as I thought a few of the new teams from GW had a bit too extreme poses and sculpts.

The great thing about BB is that you will find all the rules, teams etc online for free. Buying the books and cards is really not necessary and I find the cards in particular to be very expensive - so I made my own player cards for quick reference.

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 12:22:54 AM »
Not sure if this reply arrives too late.
To start playing Blood Bowl you only need the basic box, you don't need anything else, its many hours of play only with that set.
Actually if you havenīt played BB before I would recommend you to stick to the content in the basic box and play several matches to learn to play properly, even if you feel affinity with those specific teams.

What next?
A new team! Teams play styles changes a lot, some teams are easier to play than others, sometimes giving the wrong impression that some are better than others. In the rule book you will see the teams are sorted by Tiers 1, 2 or 3, ranking from less to more complex play style.
Starting to play BB with a tier 3 team could be extremely frustrating.
Of course nothing stops you to buy tier 3 teams to paint them, or even give them a try in the field, but be aware of the challenge

The Team Card decks are not mandatory, they are nice cards, lovely to display on the side, and provide team specific events and special play, giving a slightly advantage, so playing a team with card deck vs a team without it is quite unfair

Spike magazine is a good investment, each issue is team specific: adding rules, team composition examples and plenty of tactic tips, worth reading, even the one from previous edition

Deathzone, I canīt tell I havenīt had a change to get it yet
Almanacs from previous edition are compilations of Spike Magazine

Forgeworld models are mostly Star Players, nice models but IMHO pregenerated Star Players have circumstantial use when playing
IMHO BB is a game to play in league format, developing your own Star Players by earning experience is much more rewarding than spending your golds hiring a celebrity for one match

I hope this helps