Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:38:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690724
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SI’s Dorking 1875: UD 11/4 British Lifeguards converted  (Read 51022 times)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: Dorking et al: UD 30/5 Essex Yeomanry Cavalry & forces so far
« Reply #240 on: June 02, 2022, 09:37:59 PM »
It’s the natural peril of building both sides. I really like A so I’ll start with those and a few of B. Oh, if I get C, I could also use them for a campaign against B. Hmm, further research reveals that C can also be used against D etc, etc……..

I like armies with multiple potential opponents. I justify it to myself that it’s in some way thrifty, one army, many options. Then I purchase every bugger they could be used against and some more that can be used as other opponents of the original forces’s opponents. Upon mature reflection, I think I’ve oversold myself on the thrifty bit.  :D
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #241 on: June 02, 2022, 09:45:36 PM »
Wise words.

8)

Personally I believe in “mass skirmish”….but a few, then a few more…{repeat ad infinitum}

This is fast becoming one of my favourite projects on LAF

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #242 on: June 02, 2022, 10:11:06 PM »
Isn't that the way of it. I am holding off on buying a bunch of perry horse holders and dismounted union Cav at the moment tell after I finish my move sometime in July or August.  lol
So I guess the Yeoman and Hussars will be green light cav. Are you Going to use the Guard as Shock cav?

Yep, that’s it :)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #243 on: June 02, 2022, 11:13:58 PM »
It’s the natural peril of building both sides. I really like A so I’ll start with those and a few of B. Oh, if I get C, I could also use them for a campaign against B. Hmm, further research reveals that C can also be used against D etc, etc……..

I like armies with multiple potential opponents. I justify it to myself that it’s in some way thrifty, one army, many options. Then I purchase every bugger they could be used against and some more that can be used as other opponents of the original forces’s opponents. Upon mature reflection, I think I’ve oversold myself on the thrifty bit.  :D
Yeah, I just got into ACW. And I am inspired from this page to get some Prussians for FPW to do a fictinal 1880s German invasion of the US..... And I should get the French as well. You know to have both sides in the FPW and in case I want my Union/Confederates to fight in Mexico.  lol
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #245 on: June 02, 2022, 11:28:20 PM »
Blimey I missed a bunch of comments from earlier. Apologies for that - no rudeness intended
 :)

All very true  lol

As mentioned previously, I’m already intrigued by the option to add French for the Channel Islands. And obvs there’s the Prussians. ……..

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #246 on: June 02, 2022, 11:29:56 PM »
Wise words.

8)

Personally I believe in “mass skirmish”….but a few, then a few more…{repeat ad infinitum}

This is fast becoming one of my favourite projects on LAF

Cheers Matt. But then you really are a faction accumulator, as evidenced by your LotR project :D

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #247 on: June 02, 2022, 11:31:19 PM »
Yeah, I just got into ACW. And I am inspired from this page to get some Prussians for FPW to do a fictinal 1880s German invasion of the US..... And I should get the French as well. You know to have both sides in the FPW and in case I want my Union/Confederates to fight in Mexico.  lol

Lol that’d work: an 1880s version of The Man in the High Castle 8)

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #248 on: June 02, 2022, 11:52:44 PM »
Lol that’d work: an 1880s version of The Man in the High Castle 8)

Weird happenings; I just downloaded the novel the other day whilst watching excerpts from the series . Thinking similar things,perhaps more modern…
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Rochejaquelein

• Bookworm
« Reply #249 on: June 03, 2022, 02:13:46 AM »
Project's really coming together!

I wanted to ask, is there a reason you used Perry's plastic Sudan to make the Middlesex Volunteers instead of the Perry Zulu set? Personally I can't really tell the difference between the two boxed sets besides the former having a drummer, so maybe there's some detail I'm missing. I was thinking of doing something similar (though to make regular line infantry that didn't get the new helmets instead of volunteers) so I'm curious how you made their heads out of Napoleonic heads.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #250 on: June 03, 2022, 07:19:53 AM »
Project's really coming together!

I wanted to ask, is there a reason you used Perry's plastic Sudan to make the Middlesex Volunteers instead of the Perry Zulu set? Personally I can't really tell the difference between the two boxed sets besides the former having a drummer, so maybe there's some detail I'm missing. I was thinking of doing something similar (though to make regular line infantry that didn't get the new helmets instead of volunteers) so I'm curious how you made their heads out of Napoleonic heads.

Thanks and that’s a good question as to why the Sudan Infantry. TBH I don’t really remember, though it would have been easier to remake the full length trousers over the Sudan puttees. That said, where possible I used the Zulu set arms to avoid having to remake the cuff detail that is absent from the Sudan uniform. Thing is, my bits box has (had) sufficient of everything apart from the main body, so that’s probably why the easier lower legs swung it.

As regards the hat, my notes say:
- Hat from Nappy head
- shave off  badge and fit lower down, remove plume with fitting, trim height off hat and refit plume
- Fit hat to head
- Reshape hat as necessary
- Reduce height of plume and round off to create Pom Pom
- Tidy with GS

Good luck 8)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #251 on: June 03, 2022, 07:20:33 AM »
Weird happenings; I just downloaded the novel the other day whilst watching excerpts from the series . Thinking similar things,perhaps more modern…

I find it an interesting enough story without all the Sci-fi!  :D

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Dorking etc: UD 4/8 Terrain & Units try out (20 images)
« Reply #252 on: August 04, 2022, 12:21:16 AM »
With the table covered with a test layout out but with no time for a game, I couldn’t resist the opportunity for some photos of the finished Dorking units.

It’s the day after the Germans have landed at Worthing and advance units of Bavarian troops are probing north, seizing bridges to facilitate a fast advance on London.

A hotch-potch of British units - from various places and of mixed quality - have arrived to secure a ‘chocolate box’ village, which dominates a bridge and adjacent ford.

Two units of the 23rd Middlesex (Inns of Court) Rifle Volunteers are in the hedgerows opposite the ford, while two units of the 35th (Royal Sussex) Infantry Regiment are holed-up in the village. Only recently arrived, they haven’t had time to establish entrenchments south of the river.

Not long after arriving, the Rifle Volunteers are confronted by the 2 units of the 1st Jäger Battalion, who lay down covering fire from a copse for an attempt to ford the river. While this distraction plays out, 2 units of the 12th Infantry Regiment dash across the bridge, determined to seize the houses that overlook it.   A fierce firefight ensues, with the Bavarians closing in on the village.

The British, despite the advantage of being in defence, are vulnerable: unlike the Bavarian veterans of the Franco-Prussian War, the British Regulars, roused from their bunks at the nearby Depot, and the civilian Volunteers, roused from their beds at home, are not battle-hardened. It seems that they will be overrun.

At the last minute, 2 units of the Essex Yeomanry Cavalry appear from the rear. The Essex in Sussex? On hearing of the landings they had quickly mobilised and then commandeered a train for a speedy journey from East Essex to the south coast. The Essex Boys gallop in: will the weight of horse save the day?

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #253 on: August 04, 2022, 03:54:18 AM »
And the cavalry is here to save the day. And looking great while doing it as well.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #254 on: August 04, 2022, 04:38:54 AM »
I really enjoy this thread. Fabulous artistry and good story telling. It has it all.