Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:38:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: BSC2021 Hammers’ Icy Peril of Gallows Lake  (Read 4280 times)

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
Re: BSC2021 Hammers’ Icy Peril of Gallows Lake
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2021, 08:24:00 AM »

I will just pond-er that  ;)

If you don't, icy this thread going downhill.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: BSC2021 Hammers’ Icy Peril of Gallows Lake, shores of the lake
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2021, 09:34:22 AM »
There is sort of a generally accepted convention when it comes to scenery features like rivers, ponds and lakes, that they are slightly raised above the game board. This is obviously convention of necessity, when a piece of scenery id not an integral part of the game board. Simulating depth is of course always a bit of a challenge as your average gameboard rarely exceeds a thickness of a couple of inches.

In my case it is  going to be a bit of problem since my lake is a loose terrain piece and ice /acrylic sheet) and water (layers of resin) is going to make for a lake raised a bit above the game board. This is the reasons I use thing sheet steel, and  thus partly reducing the height of the thing.  We'll  see  how things turn out...

I purchased a scrap piece of 25mm MDF from a local lumberyard and, using the sheet steel and the acrylic sheet prepped previously as templates, I cut out the shore line:

To make sure a good fit I drilled three guiding holes through the steel and MDF and put 6mm dovels in them. This way, once the epoxy glue is spread on the join, I would be sure the pieces come together exactly where I want and with a minimum of sticky goo ending  up where it shouldn't.

...like so...

I used a combination of ways to fasten the steel sheet to the MDF as a need a very snug and durable join. First an two part epoxy....

to ensure the poured resin wont seep. Two part epoxy can be pricey but I sourced this kind incredibly cheap (c:a Euro 1,5) from a Lidl bargin bin. It is a bit slow to cure and sets a bit  harder than your slightly more flexible Loctite kind.

Before I applied any glue I drilled a multitude of 1mm screw holes around the shorelines, which I also counter sunk to make sure the scenery piece will sit snuggly on the game board.

I used 10 mm screws to make sure I could shape the MDF with a belt sander later on, without the sanding paper being torn up by the screws.

And just to ensure you all that  it was me doing all this work, I put my signature trade mark on the thing...

Online OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2021, 09:40:34 AM »
It's Tim the Toolman Taylor  :D
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2021, 11:00:36 AM »
More power!! :D

And no piece is complete without a mandatory blood sacrifice. I baptized mine this morning when I reached for a fresh X-Acto blade from a half opened drawer.

Good news; I got the blade. Bad news, its point was embedded at least 2mm into my right hand thumb... ::)

This going to be another pretty big piece! Like I said earlier; my entry is that largest terrain piece I've built to date (footprint-wise that is), but it's absolutely dwarfed by a lot of the other entries.

I like the idea of the steel sheet as a base for the water. I would suggest polystyrene, but considering the surface area, I suppose it's wise to go with something a bit more... sturdy.

It must weigh a ton already though. With the steel and thick MDF. And then later on quite a large body of resin too...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2021, 12:13:35 PM »

It must weigh a ton already though. With the steel and thick MDF. And then later on quite a large body of resin too...

Not that bad, actually! But sure, the resin will add some heft to it

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2021, 06:03:58 PM »
Not that bad, actually! But sure, the resin will add some heft to it

Is there an additional round....we could call it “injury time” ...where you get extra votes for giving blood to the Cause?

Maybe even points for a slipped disc when you lift it up ? 

;)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2021, 06:17:05 PM »
Excellent progress and with a sacrifice to the Gods.  :)
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2021, 01:48:33 AM »
This is  a fascinating build,the antithesis of how I would do it(which is basically throwing stuff at a wall),I’m intrigued  :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Clach Umha

• Librarian
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2021, 10:42:44 PM »
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 07:17:05 AM by Clach Umha »
Getting excited & making jokes about dropping Nepalm on little Asian Children in a Viet' village doesn't make it ok just because 'it's wargaming & not real'. You wanker scum need to look again at the real photographic horror of such chemical weapons. Seriously Disgusting mind set amongst some you.