Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:14:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690581
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 698
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Anyone playing Soldiers of God?  (Read 2810 times)

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
Re: Anyone playing Soldiers of God?
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2021, 11:35:36 AM »
Another set which may be worth looking at is Shattered Lances, by Brendan Moyle. A period specific set with lots of flavour. Personally I find To the Strongest excellent for ancient and medieval massed battles

Offline mmcv

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2021, 01:09:03 PM »
Another set which may be worth looking at is Shattered Lances, by Brendan Moyle. A period specific set with lots of flavour. Personally I find To the Strongest excellent for ancient and medieval massed battles

I've heard of shattered lances before but have never been able to find a copy. Seems to be our of print and doesn't look like there was ever a pdf version.

I do really enjoy To the Strongest, and have used it for crusades and various other periods. If I just want a simple line up and fight game it works well, but there are times when a little more flavour is nice and having something more period specific. I feel scenario design, while doable in a tournament style ruleset like TtS, isn't as easy as the likes of Hail Caesar which is more scenario driven by design. Though mechanically I prefer TtS to HC in a lot of areas. I like both systems okay, just they can be a little generic when you want something very period specific.

Staying that, the next battle in the campaign is a small standard battle so tempted to use TtS for it. I've been working through the crusades battle by battle historically as well on and off bouncing between different rule sets, but would be nice to find (or make) one for the period that lets me play out everything from small raids and skirmishes to big field battles and seiges, that way I can do linked campaigns and historical recreations and feel like I've the flavour running throughout.

Offline Luisito

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2021, 11:47:18 PM »
I played SoG rules several times and I like them. I made a change to have more actions cards. I simply made 6 blank cards and sleeved them. We write our Battles' actions on them. This way we have 6 action cards more in the deck. I made a dark age version too. ;)

see you

Luis

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2021, 02:01:51 PM »
I made a dark age version too. ;)

:o :o :o Are you willing to share? I was periodically asking Warwick if he was likely to do a Shieldwall type set  ??? ??? ???

Offline mmcv

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2021, 02:06:27 PM »
I played SoG rules several times and I like them. I made a change to have more actions cards. I simply made 6 blank cards and sleeved them. We write our Battles' actions on them. This way we have 6 action cards more in the deck. I made a dark age version too. ;)

see you

Luis

That's not a bad idea actually, allows more actions in the deck.

Do you guys every play the smaller lists, the raids, small battles etc? Did you have similar experiences as I did? I do intend to try again in the future on the bigger battles to see if they play better, but don't think I could face doing another raid with them, and my small battle experience has been a bit hit or miss too.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2021, 03:24:15 PM »
“Outpost Wargames Services” advertise that they stock “Shattered Lances”. I don’t know if they actually have a stock of them but worth dropping them a line.

Offline mmcv

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2021, 03:49:50 PM »
“Outpost Wargames Services” advertise that they stock “Shattered Lances”. I don’t know if they actually have a stock of them but worth dropping them a line.

Good find! I'm not great with those old school hobby websites. Fired them off an email, cheers.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2021, 04:41:19 PM »
Good luck. Looking at the website it doesn’t seem to be updated regularly. I hope they are still trading.

Offline mmcv

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2021, 09:57:55 AM »
Good luck. Looking at the website it doesn’t seem to be updated regularly. I hope they are still trading.

Thanks for the steer SJWi, was able to get a copy of Shattered Lances from Outpost. Had a quick flick through and looks interesting.