Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:16:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: BSC2021 Bearwoodman's Frostgrave Fountain of the Olfactomancers  (Read 7199 times)

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
Re: BSC2021 Bearwoodman's Frozen Fountain
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2021, 07:34:34 PM »
Thanks Deothar! The original idea was for the difficult terrain aspect to come from the slippery surface of the frozen waters, meaning that players who tried to run on it might fall over and injure themselves. There is also the risk that the ice might give way and a figure fall through into the icy waters (and who knows how deep the water in a wizard's fountain might be?). 

But, as you suggest, braving the strange and powerful smells that emanate from this fountain must present a whole other challenge for adventurers (albeit one that I have not yet formulated rules for). Truly it would be a very reckless Frostgrave player who attempted to retrieve a treasure token placed under the (literal and metaphorical) nose of the Olfactomancers!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 07:56:05 PM by Bearwoodman »

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2021, 10:36:56 PM »
My hobby time this weekend was spent trying to sort out the corners of the pool.  I was unable to arrive at a clear design that I was happy with in my head or on paper so I decided to just get stuck in with cardboard and milliput and see what happened. I was reasonably satisfied with the results eventually, and I hope that the vents are vaguely reminiscent of nostrils without being an actual statue of a nose. In any event I cannot spend any more time fussing over these bits so they will have to do!

While changing a light bulb I think I chanced upon an object that could serve as the base of the basin into which the Great Nose discharges.

Now to think about the nose itself.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2021, 04:03:42 AM »
.. I hope that the vents are vaguely reminiscent of nostrils without being an actual statue of a nose.
I think you succeeded. This is going to one very unique fountain. :D

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2021, 06:34:22 AM »
Just love the direction this is going...very original  :)

Offline Clach Umha

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2021, 02:04:52 PM »
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 06:26:12 AM by Clach Umha »
Getting excited & making jokes about dropping Nepalm on little Asian Children in a Viet' village doesn't make it ok just because 'it's wargaming & not real'. You wanker scum need to look again at the real photographic horror of such chemical weapons. Seriously Disgusting mind set amongst some you.

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
Re: BSC2021 Bearwoodman's Frostgrave Fountain of the Olfactomancers
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2021, 11:11:32 PM »
Codsticker: Thank you, I do hope you are right. We will probably only be able to tell for sure once it is all done.

AKULA: I am glad you like it, still a lot to do though and I keep getting distracted!

Clach Umha: Thank you. I feel personally that having a bit of background and narrative makes the designing easier. And adding a tiny dash of absurdity amuses me!

I note in the BSC2021 rules that it is acceptable to include in photographs of the build a figure for scale, so I have been thinking about which figure to use for mine. It already have a small collection of Frostgrave-appropriate figures, but none seemed quite right for this project. So, cheerfully disregarding the very real risk of dissipating my limited hobby time and enthusiasm on a non-essential element of this project, I decided to create my own Olfactomancer!

I combed the Lead Mountain and came across a number of official Frostgrave wizards. I selected a candidate and made a few small tweaks...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 07:31:02 AM by Bearwoodman »

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2021, 11:18:52 PM »
The Olfactomancer's Handkerchief

Wizards of all schools are known for using a wand to channel and direct their magic. Other objects commonly carried by adventuring wizards whatever their academic background include staffs, crystal balls, magic rings or amulets or more conventional weapons enhanced through enchantment. Olfactomancers with their highly sensitive noses and skill at creating powerful odours, are alone amongst spellcasters in favouring a scented handkerchief as their primary weapon. At a vital moment in battle an Olfactomancer will pause to inhale from their favoured piece of fabric (often delicately embroidered with the Wizard's initials and tucked up the sleeve when not required) imbued with magical perfumes before unleashing their chosen spell on an awestruck enemy/grateful ally.

I slightly modified a Soothsayer Apprentice and added a handkerchief made from folded paper. I will paint him as I continue the fountain build.

Explorers of the part of the Frozen City home to the Fountain of the Olfactomancers may chance upon lost scented handkerchiefs dating back to the heyday of this magical school. I have not created a whole new treasure table to roll on but here is a selection of a few lost Olfactomancer handkerchiefs that may be uncovered and their effects in game:

The Tissue of Tenacity
The scent in this handkerchief boosts resolve and concentration and a figure carrying this handkerchief gains +1 Will for the whole game. There is no need to spend an action to inhale from the handkerchief as the odour is strong and penetrating, it is enough for the figure to have it on their person.

The Healing Hankie
A figure may spend an action to inhale the restorative fragrance of this handkerchief which then restores up to 5 lost points of Health. It may not take a figure above its normal starting Health. The magic in the handkerchief is used up after one inhalation.

The Snot Rag of Senseless Slaughter
The smell from this handkerchief triggers a berserk violent rage in anyone who inhales it. A figure may spend one action to inhale from this handkerchief after which it gains plus 1 fight BUT may then do nothing other than move as quickly as possible into hand-to-hand combat with the nearest figure whether friend or foe and fight until they or their opponent is dead.  If the figure who has inhaled the scent of this handkerchief survives they must continue to seek hand to hand combat with the next closest figure and the next and so on until either a) they are killed; b) they are the only figure left on the board; or c) they pass a Will roll which they may attempt once per turn with a Target Number of 18 at which point the effect of the handkerchief wears off.

Handkerchief of Brief Thief Relief
A figure may spend an action to inhale from this handkerchief after which for one turn only it may not be harmed by a figure of the Thief soldier type.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 11:24:49 PM by Bearwoodman »

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2021, 11:46:20 PM »
 lol

Offline pistolpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Rent money is for rent - telly savalas
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2021, 11:37:53 AM »
Great work! Love the story line, those added handkerchiefs are brilliant. The figure is very thematic.

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2021, 12:18:44 AM »
Now to think about the nose itself.

Cast your own nose...?  lol

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2021, 12:07:57 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement all!

Cast your own nose...?  lol

An excellent idea for a fairly unusual self portrait!  Assuming I could do it without suffocating myself it would also result in something more anatomically correct than just me playing with a ball of milliput. Unfortunately I read your message too late so instead I have produced a rather odd looking a hand made effort:

I have also worked a bit on the plinth for the basin into which the Nose discharges. The flight stands up the nostrils are to support the Nose above the basin. I have also been adding some slabs to the steps to the pool.

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2021, 09:37:15 PM »
A little bit of progress on the pool, nearly ready for undercoating, and I used a ball of tin foil to add a rough surface to the back of the Nose to contrast with the smoothly carved front.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 09:44:45 PM by Bearwoodman »

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2021, 10:16:04 PM »
Primed black and added the grills to the vents.

These will be the last photos before entry but there is of course still the painting and the mucking about with resin and water effects to go.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2021, 11:13:19 PM »
Have you been  reading Gogol?
Nice work!
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2021, 08:43:01 AM »
I smell a great entry in the works there...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!