Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:28:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: BSC2021 - Daeothar's collapsed overpass  (Read 15151 times)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: BSC2021 - Daeothar's collapsed overpass!
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2021, 01:14:47 PM »
Excellent  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2021, 01:32:23 PM »
Looking great mate  :)

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2021, 03:40:07 PM »
Thanks guys :)

At pistolpete's suggestion, I have simply searched for the exact same road sign as I had adopted as my template, and found it without too much hassle (it's a sign helping one navigate after all :D ), and through the magic of Google Earth's Streetview, I was able to take some excellent pictures of the construction, from a variety of angles.

But obviously, I was most interested in the back:

And this helped me to quickly build up the sign proper. So; bar some minor details, I'm calling this one done!

Thing is though; it's become too top-heavy now for the magnet I originally put underneath. So I will have to find a sturdier way to attach this. I don't want to see it accidentally knocked off the table, and the risk of that is significant, since the terrain piece is (being) built to go on the edge of the board!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 04:02:48 PM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Online OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2021, 04:09:50 PM »
Could you make a pile of detritus piled up against the pole and have another magnet under that?

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2021, 04:35:32 PM »
That might be an idea, yeah.

I'm thinking about letting a rod stick out of the bottom right now, because I also still have to make a concrete base for it.

And if that's a big block, I can add a tube in there, where the rod will go. Then it'll be a simple case of adding something to keep it from rotating...

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2021, 08:35:42 PM »
 That is an impressively large and intricate construction!

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2021, 08:42:52 PM »
Thats proper modelling right there! Stupendous plastic card work! 8) 8) 8)

What about doing the base in concrete? Do a concrete cube? That should be enough weight to balance it out.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2021, 08:49:31 AM »
Cheers guys :)

What about doing the base in concrete? Do a concrete cube? That should be enough weight to balance it out.

Winner winner, chicken dinner! 8)

I'll give that one a shot. Especially since I would be pouring a concrete base for it anyway! The weight of such a block, combined with some larger magnets on the bottom should be ample counterweight/force to the overhanging construction; thanks! :)

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2021, 09:31:15 PM »
And this evening, I immediately set to preparing the sign post for its new connection.

I drilled out the bottom (some bolts fell off during the violent part, so that will require some small repairs) where the magnet used to sit, to a diameter of 5mm.

I then created a mould for the concrete anchor, basically just a square block, added some rebar (prepared in the usual way), and a 5mm styrene tube with rather thick walls smack in the center.

Here it is, just after the pour. You can see again how much darker the wet mix is. The mould next to it is the old bridge support I still had around, and into which I poured the surplus concrete mix; estimating the exact amount for such a very small pour is pretty hard, and I can use this block (it has no rebar in it) to smash into pieces, for use as extra rubble, should I require it.

Once it's well and dry, I will simply slide on the sign post, and also add four magnets to the bottom (I should have added some round styrene studs to the bottom of the mould, for the magnets to go I just now realize. Ah well; let's just hope I won't destroy the block when drilling the required indents now... ::) ).

+++EDIT+++ And here it is demoulded :)

« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 09:59:25 PM by Daeothar »

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2021, 10:05:21 PM »
Can't see the pitures this time :'(

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2021, 07:44:36 AM »
Can't see the pitures this time :'(

This is really getting annoying (not your fault, obviously). I'll contact a tech savvy mate this week to see if he can help me with these security certificates to sort it once and for all...  :?

In the mean time, try using a different browser, or opening them in a new screen, that seems to help most of the time. I have had, nor heard of, issues so far with Firefox.

Help is on the way!! :D

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2021, 09:46:23 AM »
Working now?
Looking good :-* :-* :-*

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2021, 10:04:26 AM »
This is really getting annoying (not your fault, obviously). I'll contact a tech savvy mate this week to see if he can help me with these security certificates to sort it once and for all...  :?

In the mean time, try using a different browser, or opening them in a new screen, that seems to help most of the time. I have had, nor heard of, issues so far with Firefox.

Help is on the way!! :D

FWIW, my Firefox is blocking both the hotlinked images and attempts to open them directly due to the site being labelled a potential security risk because of mismatched SSL certificates.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2021, 10:12:18 AM »
FWIW, my Firefox is blocking both the hotlinked images and attempts to open them directly due to the site being labelled a potential security risk because of mismatched SSL certificates.

Thanks for the info; my tech buddy can work from that I suppose...

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2021, 02:52:53 PM »
Chugging along nicely...

I attached the concrete base to the post, and embedded some magnets into the bottom. This was a real breeze; all it required was a 5mm wood drill bit and my pin-vice. Some drops of superglue later, and this sign will not be going anywhere anytime soon. Now it's solid as a brick (or block of concrete ;) ), and I will be putting a small piece of 1mm steel onto the base where it goes.

Then the final moulds for me to pour the mix into.

To be honest; I was a bit intimidated by these. They basically have an L-shaped cross section, but also a lengthwise curve that follows the road pieces.

These are the bases for the guard rails, which are up next.

But I needn't have worried, as they came out really well. The only 'but' is that both times I demoulded the inside curve, it broke. I did one set with rebar and one without, and the rebar held that piece together just fine. So it's immediately obvious what rebar does for concrete ;)

Not a problem though, and if this is the biggest setback I'll experience in this build, I'll be well pleased! :)

And finally, I've started on some hooligans watching (and frustrating) the race going on below them, as they are perched on top of the obsolete road sign.

There's one with a shotgun, scanning the distance with his binoculars, one making ready to throw a bottle (possibly a molotov cocktail) at the first contestant passing underneath, while the third is sitting down, wielding both a gun and a bottle of booze.

Both bottles were shaped from plastic rod, and need to be sculpted on (the throwing one has already conveniently lost his hand for this).

All three miniatures are from a 20mm not-S.T.A.K.E.R. and survivor line made from soft plastic. They are made by a Russian manufacturer, possibly Tehnolog, and they are perfect for this project... :D

Next up; assembly of the road pieces to the base! 8)