Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:21:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: BSC2021 - Daeothar's collapsed overpass  (Read 15158 times)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: BSC2021 - Daeothar's collapsed overpass
« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2021, 09:47:29 PM »
So, I've completed just about everything, and I was very confident that I would be able to finish well within time, including ample provisions for taking pictures, etc. I had also resigned myself to the unpopular truth that I would have to forego the crash barriers I had been planning, because of the inevitable time restraints.

But to quote a wise Dutch philosopher from the past: 'every disadvantage has its advantage (snif)...' , and when Hammers announced that he would rather postpone the deadline by two weeks, I knew this would give me the time I need to get that extra detail done as well :)

In fact; I had bought the materials for the crash barriers first, several years ago, when we started out playing Gaslands. Because this entire terrain piece has been dancing around in my head for at least that long (actually; obviously longer, as I must have had the idea before I ordered the material ::) ).

What's the material you ask? A sheet of corrugated metal! I got this idea from a model railroad forum I had stumbled upon when researching model crash barriers. There was this one gentleman who made the barriers for his layout in approximately this way, and I promply went on the search for this stuff. Which wasn't all that easy; it's not something you see a lot of.

But I 'needed' it now. Because corrugated cardboard is all good and well in 28mm, where its exaggerated corrugation and flat back can be either camouflaged and/or explained away, but at 20mm, card would just not do.

The corrugation, already too big at 28mm would look right out of place in 20mm, and it also does not lend itself well for making curves. On top of that, when in thin strips, it's not all that sturdy either.

You get the drift; I needed no further encouragement to order this ridiculously priced piece of decorative metal... lol

So, this evening, I got to cut and prepare the rails:

And after only about 30 minutes of careful scoring the appropriate corrugations, and cutting the resulting strips in realistic lengths, I had enough to provide some really required safety to this dystopian piece of racetrack. Which I would then distress and destroy at certain points, obviously... :D

And finally, I went to work on some cut-offs, to try out some techniques for riveting, which, again, worked out perfectly. It was just a matter of selecting the correct pointy tools, and keeping a steady hand. I may yet create some sort of rig, to assure as regularly placed as possible rivets.

Oh, and an end piece, loosely based on a real life counterpart of course. This is just a test piece; the final one will flare out a bit more at the end I reckon.

Now it's on to cutting about a zillion posts for the barriers to be attached to. I'll be using I-beams for the lengths placed onto the ground, and round posts for the pieces attached to the bridge psections (right into the concrete).

Those will be styrene though; I couldn't get myself to buy steel profiles for this purpose while I had perfectly good plastic variants lying about.

Painting and weathering will be interesting now though. The metal looks good as is, albeit a tad too shiny, but the posts obviously require paint, which will set them apart, visually, from the W-profiles.

I may corrode the W-profiles first in an acid bath; give them some real oxidation, which would go very well with my theme of using 'natural/real' materials and their colours. But this will require some thorough testing first, obviously, and I may end up painting them after all.

Only time (just two short weeks of it) will tell... ;)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #91 on: June 08, 2021, 08:18:35 AM »
The barriers really do look the biz.  If you are in the states you might check out Rustall as they have a pack of weathering washes that may help with the metals and painted supports and save you from using acids.  It can usually be found at good model railroad shops. 
Link:
https://www.rustall.com/
I brought some over from the states when I immigrated and have since used up/spilled what I had left.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Clach Umha

• Librarian
« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2021, 02:09:18 PM »
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 07:41:07 AM by Clach Umha »
Getting excited & making jokes about dropping Nepalm on little Asian Children in a Viet' village doesn't make it ok just because 'it's wargaming & not real'. You wanker scum need to look again at the real photographic horror of such chemical weapons. Seriously Disgusting mind set amongst some you.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #93 on: June 11, 2021, 10:36:00 PM »
Thanks guys :)

Looks like the home stretch is finally in visual range, but we're not there yet...

This week saw me able to do just about nothing on my project, as real life asserted itself.

But this evening, I did manage to create the posts for the barriers on all the concrete parts. So that's the standing bridge section, plus the crashed one. The earthbound lengths will be receiving a different kind of post though, which are much simpler to create.

These were a little bit more involved though, as I needed to create a base plate with bolt heads, plus an extended part of the post to hold the actual W-profiles. I need 13 of them, so I built 14, to be safe ;)

Next up; painting these lads and then glueing them to the concrete at 3,5cm intervals.

This is actually too far apart for any real barrier on a high speed road such as this, but I think they'll still convey the impression... :)

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #94 on: June 14, 2021, 09:17:50 AM »
Fantastic detail mate! :o Is it Sunday yet? I can’t wait to see this!

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #95 on: June 14, 2021, 12:47:35 PM »
Cheers Andy, and likewise for all the other entries :)

And Sunday is approaching much faster than I'd like!

The two weeks extra gave me the time to do the crash barriers with ease, but real life really asserted itself over the past week, and now I'm actually behind (because I can only do the final flocking after I place the barriers, that part is also waiting now...) on my self imposed schedule.

Luckily I had planned for just one week's worth of extra work, so I can still make it :D

Online OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #96 on: June 14, 2021, 12:48:43 PM »
Love all the details  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #97 on: June 14, 2021, 12:51:13 PM »
I really need to check LAF more, I managed to miss this up till now. Absolutely marvellous work man!
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #98 on: June 14, 2021, 02:21:28 PM »
Get all that extra time, just to get into trouble again by going overboard on the details, huh. lol

Should well be worth it.  :D
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #99 on: June 18, 2021, 06:41:47 PM »
This is absolutely incredible! Plus, it can be used for Post-Apocalyptic skirmish gaming, too -- not just Gaslands. The thought process and careful detail is amazing...

Mike Demana
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2021, 09:17:44 PM »
Cheers lads :)

Even though it's my birthday today, and I went out for dinner with the missus, I've been able to sneak an hour in just now, in my mad dash to the finishline. I managed to end work on the guard rails (which were both great to work with and an absolute nightmare at the same time), and I added some scattered debris, like fallen parts of the overhead sign, the crashed trekkie/redshirt, and some more assorted specific junk.

I really wanted to add a shopping cart to the rubble at the bottom of the incline, but scratchbuilding would have taken too long, and the 1/72 etched brass one I found on the internet is nice, but extremely expensive, even before postage, so that has been shelved for the moment (but not cancelled; I might add it still after the contest is over, either here or on another piece).

Tomorrow, I'll be doing the last work, adding the fine detritus, rubble and sand, plus flocking, and then this beast will finally be done.

Of course then I'm going to have to struggle to get good enough pictures, but we'll see how that pans out. Probably on Sunday... ::) At any rate, this will probably be the last progress post before I submit my entry.

And yes; I suppose the D stands for detail now... lol

+++EDIT+++ Hey; 100th post in the thread too; what a way to wrap this up :D
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 11:33:35 AM by Daeothar »

Online OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2021, 10:13:32 PM »
the crashed trekkie/redshirt,

Huzzah!  lol

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #102 on: June 20, 2021, 08:09:18 PM »
Well, I managed to send my entry just after Hammers'  last call, meaning I had an easy two hours to spare!  lol

I could have been faster, had I read the rules a bit better; I was recently gifted a green screen, and I had been waiting for the right opportunity to use it. So I spent the entire afternoon taking pictures, using natural sunlight in the garden, and then I went inside to photof*ck the heck out of my entry.

And the end result was awesome; I didn't change any of the pictures Im used in my collage, other than that I replaced the green (and also blue in some shots; the screen's actually double sided ;) ) with suitable post aopcalyptic pictures of deserts, some with ruined cityscapes in the background.

And when I wanted to retreive the emailaddress to send the picture to, my eye fell on the BSC rules, explicitly forbidding any photo manipulation other than cropping and some balancing!  :o

I sent Hammers a PM, but he was out walking the dog, or having dinner or something, because there was no reply. I panicked a bit. And so I frantically retook all of my pictures, to adhere to the rules. Meaning I did this inside, without natural light, and awkward angles on and around the table, but I think I managed.

And I even had some hours left too  :D

Good luck to everyone who entered as well; I can't wait to see all the entries...

+++EDIT+++ When it rains... I was lucky to check on my emails one more time before closing the PC down for the day, because my entry was bounced on my side of the server because of a faulty alias. Had I not checked, Hammers would not have received my entry! It's been resent correctly now though. Fngers crossed... ::)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 08:14:20 PM by Daeothar »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #103 on: June 20, 2021, 10:22:11 PM »
No 'bounced' notice on my e-mails, but no confirmation either.
Ah well, got to close down for the night as I'm up early tomorrow.

If it didn't get in, it didn't get in. :-I

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #104 on: June 21, 2021, 01:20:11 AM »
No 'bounced' notice on my e-mails, but no confirmation either.
Ah well, got to close down for the night as I'm up early tomorrow.

If it didn't get in, it didn't get in. :-I
You're top of the list (link) has.been. :)