Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:42:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689749
  • Total Topics: 118292
  • Online Today: 821
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mean Streets: The Warriors & More (Bit of Signage)  (Read 24507 times)

Offline KD47

• Librarian
  • What is best in life?
Re: Mean Street Gangs (Warriors & Boppers WIP)
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2021, 09:08:43 PM »
Saw a post about "The Warriors" on another more recent thread.   Searched for Baseball Furies, and it looks like you already made some!    Good work.   This'll be a fun game when you run it. 
For former content of mine, search my former user ID kalebdaark:

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=4831

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
Re: Mean Street Gangs (The Orphans WIP)
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2023, 04:29:52 PM »
Work is still progressing slowly on this project.  Came in 2nd place for which project to dive into at the start of this year.  DBN won because the club has been itching to get that on the table for the last several years too.

DBN prep will also help The Warriors project along too.  The need to clear storage space in my office for stacks of boxes filled with newly re-based Napoleonics will also provide the needed storage space that I can start having friends print out STL files for NYC.

Part of the ongoing progress has been continuing painting the Orphans between other projects. 

Quantity is a quality all its own!

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2023, 04:59:45 PM »
So far so good!  Looking forward to seeing then done!
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2023, 05:13:10 PM »
Thanks!  Well, these are much better minis to paint while watching a movie than 15mm Napoleonics, so Orphans and other gangs will be in the rotation this season>
: 3

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2023, 01:52:44 AM »
Those are off to a great start! Thanks for posting them. I understand completely to paint what the group is itching to play, but it is always nice to have other project "irons in the fire"...  lol

Mike Demana

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
Re: Mean Street Gangs (Coven & Riffs)
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2023, 09:02:26 PM »
Recently got a big package from Crooked Dice — 7TV Dracula pledge with various other goodies added on.  The first batch that called out for paint was this group of cultists.  Didn't have specific painting plans when I ordered them.  But once I had them in hand, immediately knew they would be the Satan Island Coven!

The Coven doesn't usually come over the Verrazano Bridge, and they're not 'in the network', but they can bop with the best of them and aren't afraid to cross any gang's turf.  More than one bopper has commented that it's a good thing there is no subway connection over to the forgotten borough.

I shortened the height on a couple of the figures for variety and so they wouldn't be the women's basketball team coven.  Two of the clubbers were shortened at the waist.  One runner and the summoner/artist were shortened at the ankles.

The artist also got a satchel added for holding cans of spray paint for tagging and/or creating summoning circles.

Logos were done with WW2 US decals, and then augmented with the trusty .005 Micron Art Pen.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2023, 09:17:38 PM »
While I was working on the Coven, I also went poking at the stash of gangs that are in various stages of progress and started getting more paint on several of them.

The Riffs only needed a little bit more work to finish up.  Well, at least a small war band of Riffs, I won't be doing the full gang as seen on screen, these few will do to represent!

Most of these are from Funky Skull's Black Cobra gang set, with a number of them shortened down.  One figure had a long pole, which clearly needed to be corrected into a hockey stick with a bit of green putty.  Put a 1970s style CCM brand logo on the hockey stick  A few other random figures from the stash rounded out the group, including the artist with a spray can added.

When putting the finishing touches on these figures, I dry brushed the basing with some Flat Gull Gray.  Liking the look of that, I pulled out the earlier gangs brushed them with that too.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2023, 05:36:00 PM »
Groooovy!  :D

Your gangs are looking good. I almost bought some of the Funky Skull figs way back when they were first released. Still half-thinking about the Mollies...

Of course, I have my own Mean Streets rules, so no need to buy the profiles or anything. So, I may pick them up one day...

Mike Demana

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2023, 06:17:03 PM »
Thanks Mike.

The Mollies figures are great!  Female gangs are hard to come by.  I've got them trimmed and in the painting queue, they'll come along someday.  I'm leaning towards giving them the Alley Cats patch from The Warriors, we never see them on screen, and no saying they're not a girl gang.
~ , ~

The Funky Skull gang packs have been marked down for some time from £25 to £20 because the stat cards that come with will be obsolete if they ever finish their 2nd edition of the NYC rules.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2023, 03:39:06 PM »
Your Coven and Riffs gangs look great!  Well done!

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
Re: Mean Street Gangs (Guardian Angels)
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2023, 12:27:10 AM »
Thanks Cap'n!

Next gang is ready — well, technically a vigilante safety patrol.  This one is actually an historical crew, but it fits in superbly with the colourful gangs of The Warriors.

The Warriors premiered on 9 February 1979, and the Guardian Angels first appeared on the subways of NYC four days later on the 13th.  Coincidence?

Minis are a mix of Crooked Dice, Shadowrun, and stuff from the stash (Ainsty and/or Killer B likely).  All got head swapped with beret clad separate heads from Crooked Dice and a slightly larger one from West Wind's British Paras for Samson.

I modified the Guardian Angels logo slightly to make it easier to draw with a .005 Micron Art pen.  Only two figures have the full tee shirt with the entire logo showing on both sides.  The others only have a portion of the logo showing in front.  Leather jackets were popular among the Guardian Angels who were unarmed and just bringing karate training to a knife fight.

In related news, I'm started to draft out plans for dedicated gaming terrain primarily using 3D prints from Corvus Terrain.  Anchoring one end of the board with a subway station and the other end with an elevated one.  Perfect Warriors set-up and natural habitat of the Guardian Angels too.

Finally made my dice roll and remembered I've been meaning to put names on the bases.  Went back and added names to all the completed gangs while I was at it, painting a white edge on the back of the bases and lettering with a .05 Micron Art Pen after it dried, then a spray of Dullcote to seal it.

Thought I would have The Warriors done now too, but catching up on naming everybody took a couple of sessions.  They're very nearly done, just need to add patch details, base texturing, and then their names.  If I letter carefully, Rembrandt will just fit!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 12:55:45 AM by Cat »

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2023, 06:36:12 PM »
the Guardian Angels is a great idea for Mean Streets!  Great job!

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2023, 10:28:44 PM »
What a great idea! I remember the Guardian Angels. If I remember correctly, they inspired "branch" patrols all across the country. I swear we had one here in Columbus, Ohio, for awhile...

Mike Demana

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2023, 10:41:38 PM »
Thanks folks!

Yeah the Angels popped up all over the place, even worldwide.  We had some here in Boston for a bit.  They've had something of a resurgence in recent years; but they don't currently seem to be the full nunchuks, batons, and brass knuckles vigilantes running crack sweeps that they had become by the late 80s in NYC.  When they started in '79, they were insisting on no weapons.

They are natural denizens of the subway, and bearing actual enmity to the gangs of The Warriors!  For reals.  The founder, Curtis Sliwa, had organised a tiny protest in Times Square against the opening of the movie for promoting violence.

Now, they can battle it out on the table top.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
Re: Mean Street Gangs (Warriors, Sis, Preston too)
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2023, 01:20:55 AM »
A bunch of stuff varnished today, including Preston — that guy from the conclave with the Union Jack tee shirt.  The Warriors fandom wiki informs that he is given the name in the video game.

In the long list of gang names from The Warriors, none of them give any hint of being a British themed gang.  That saved me from the temptation of painting a gang of him.  The character must be a highly skilled loner, or perhaps just a very brave civilian, or tourist even, who decided to see what was going on that night and just walked in.

My theory is that he was wearing that tee shirt when the production crew was out rounding up extras, and they told him to wear that shirt when he showed up for filming.

We never see his lower half on screen, so I decided he was worthy of fancy sneakers and gave him a period pair of Vans #95 instead of the ubiquitous Converse All Stars.