Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:05:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689608
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dragon Rampant 10mm Ogres vs Elves  (Read 2462 times)

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
Re: Dragon Rampant 10mm Ogres vs Elves
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2021, 09:01:53 PM »
It's well worth giving a go! It's a really fun game.

One point I'd make about the army lists is that units in DR are much more differentiated from each other than in many games. So, for example, a unit of Bellicose Foot behaves nothing like a unit of Heavy Foot, even though the army lists suggest using either (or both) for orcish warriors. The former is fast-moving and unslowed by terrain, impetuous to the point of being uncontrollable, very hard-hitting and capable of counter-charging, but vulnerable when on the defensive and relatively frail. The latter is slow, steady, better on the defensive than on the attack, equipped with extra defensive capabilities and relatively tough. Those differences are much more significant than a point or two of WS or S (or equivalent) in other games.

And then you can tweak all the profiles in many different ways (which can give you both small, incremental differences and big, decisive ones, depending on the tweaks you make). So there are hundreds of potential profiles and lots of room for army differentiation and flavour.

The rules for big monsters are pretty decent, I reckon, with the Greater Warbeast profile. That comfortably takes you to dragon level; anything else is probably beyond the scope of a skirmish game. And it's even got the soft underbelly of the dragon built in.

Reading this, really wants me to go back to my hobby room and re-read the book:)
I do wonder whether these are the same as SoBH (my favorite game by far), where the rules are much more when actually played than when reading them.
Thanks anyway!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Dragon Rampant 10mm Ogres vs Elves
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2021, 09:19:03 PM »

I do wonder whether these are the same as SoBH (my favorite game by far), where the rules are much more when actually played than when reading them.

Exactly this! It's quite like SoBH in that there's lots of potential for frustration, excitement and drama (and lots of satisfaction if your scabrous peasants lure some impetuous knights into a forest or your frothing berserkers manage to charge into the enemy without being cut down by arros first).