Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:20:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Kings of War in 1/72 (scratch-built, ahem, Archfiend of the Abyss ...)  (Read 17004 times)

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
Re: Question about Kings of War and its armies and basing
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2021, 11:20:21 AM »
Just checking my book, Abyssal Guard are classed as Infnatry.

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2021, 11:35:42 AM »
Just checking my book, Abyssal Guard are classed as Infnatry.

Many thanks! Decisions, decisions! I'll make up the 15 or 16 I have left and see how they look on 125 and 100mm bases. The demons have quite a broad stance (broader than the Mantic orcs), so they might benefit from the wider base.

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2021, 11:51:23 AM »
On the demon/orcs: I see that there are "abyssal guards" (armoured demons) in the Vanguard rules.

Speaking of Vanguard, that's a pretty decent set of skirmish rules itself - if you wanted to try smaller games.  It's kind of overshadowed by Frostgrave and its cousins these days and I wouldn't quite put it up there with the old classic Mordheim, but if you dig KoW and its setting/armies it's certainly worth a look.

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2021, 01:05:41 PM »
Thanks - I might give Vanguard another look. I think I downloaded the free rules a while back, but then my eyes glazed over at some point. I'm somewhat allergic to 'fluff' or 'lore' in fantasy games, so I think my intolerance may have got the better of me!

I put a few demons together at lunchtime. I'll almost certainly go with them as orcs - I'd have trouble going over a frontage of three for them on a 100mm base. They occupy about the same space as the Mantic orcs, I think:

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2021, 10:00:37 AM »
Got hold of some infantry troop and regiment bases to begin this project in earnest (when work and D&D commitments allow!). It looks like the gnolls will be a bit of a tight squeeze as ghouls, though I should be able to get six on a base without problems (is that the "MMC" for a troop). And the demons will definitely have to be orcs (or some other "heavy infantry" designation).

I realised that I actually have some KoW-ready elements ready to go. These penny-based Chronicle orcs are in a 100 x 80 sabot, so all set as a goblin regiment (although there are only 12 of them). And it gives me a spur to paint up the rest of my Chronicle wolfriders, who're ready to go on 50 x 25.

I've got a few more of these sabot bases lying around, and lots of 1/72 orcs/goblins to fill them up. So I could actually table an army of sorts today. And I've got enough square-based orcs to put out at least a modestly sized orc army on individual bases (I'll get some appropriate MDF to use as blue-tack movement trays).

Given all that, I cracked and ordered the rulebook in that "War in the Holds" set (pretty cheap from Wayland, and I was going to try out the new goblins and ratkin anyway - the latter might have some potential as 1/72 gnolls, and the goblins might look OK in more naturalistic, Froudian colour scheme).

« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 10:52:10 AM by Hobgoblin »

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2021, 04:04:46 PM »
I've been working out what I've got that will work with Kings of War and also trying out some paint schemes for the diorama bases. It occurred to me that my chaos creatures, which are based on 25mm squares, or occasionally 50 x 20, would make up a couple of regiments of Lesser Abyssals, near enough, and that the depth discrepancy of 5mm is removed if I use a properly sized unit base as a movement tray. True, there are only 12 on the base, but they kind of look the part, I think. And I can field Oathmark-appropriate dwarves and goblins in the same way. My orcs and hobgoblins are correct on 25s, though I'll probably go with MDF and bluetack for the games.

This goblin is the first for a diorama base: still WIP, but getting there, and quick to do.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2021, 04:15:38 PM »
Looking good - I wouldn’t get too hung up on the figure count on the base. I think it is more to ensure the base is fairly full, rather than someone just sticking a couple of small figures on a big base and calling it a unit.

Yours look good - so I can’t see anyone complaining.

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2021, 04:24:22 PM »
Thanks! Yes, I'm not likely to be playing anyone who's a stickler for things like this. It occurred to me that I might add a 2mm ridge to either side of one of these bases so that the figures could just slide in and be kept in place temporarily. Some 'cornered' plasticard bits might do the trick, with the recess filled in with pumice gel.

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2021, 06:50:31 PM »
My son and I finally got a game of Kings of War in a few weeks back (using our 1/72 HotT armies with two-element frontages). We both enjoyed it and are keen to play some more. So I've been thinking about what approach to take to the armies.

Because I've been working on my 15mm Glorantha project, I've got lots of spare 15mm stuff lying around. Hewlett's wonderful thread got me thinking about what could be done with 15mm on the standard bases. But then I remembered how long it took me to get a few HotT elements done when I tried to put a 15mm army together on 28mm bases.

So, instead, I had a quick skim through the mountain of extra 1/72 stuff that I've accumulated while putting our HotT armies together. I realised that I've got more than enough to get several full-sized KoW armies together. So I think that's the most efficient way to go.

As 1/72 figures tend to be in quite dynamic poses, they don't tend to rank up much or any more densely than 28s - especially for warriors with two-handed weapons. So I'm probably just going to have 16 figures for a regiment and 8 for a troop, on average. And that got me thinking about Of Armies and Hordes, the Ganesha mass-battle game, in which 16 figures is the largest unit size. It's a grid-based game, so basing doesn't really matter, but it does offer the prospect of using HotT and KoW stuff together.

Anyway, I began today to work out what units I could put together. I reckon the key thing is to get two or three regiments together for a couple of armies, and then add troops (which can be combined to form regiments). For the Basilean list, various early- and late-Medieval types will give me a core of spearmen, swordsmen and foot paladins. And then I can add smaller units of cavalry, archers and scouts. Meanwhile, the Caesar orcs I have will yield two or three regiments that I can supplement with Dark Alliance half-orcs (pikemen as "Long Ax" with the phalanx rule?) and warg riders ("gore riders").

On top of that, I have hordes of Dark Alliance orcs and goblins to use with the goblin list, plus lots of 15mm goblins that will work well enough for rabble units. And then there are Emhar, Orion and Zvezda vikings, which give me the core of a Northern Alliance army. Not quite sure what do about the huscarl "heavy infantry" - maybe just a matter of mounting Dane-axe wielders on the bigger bases.

I have lost of beastmen (Dark Alliance Anubians and Minotaurs, plus Caesar lizardmen) that might work as a Forces of Nature army. And I've got a surprising number of elves to drop into that and the Northern Alliance one.

It's quite nice realising that all those sprues have plenty to offer after the initial harvest for HotT and RPGs. For example, with HaT El Cid stuff, I've used all the spearmen with upright spears for HotT armies (given the narrow bases and need to rank up). Ditto with the DA half-orc pikemen. So all of the more dynamic poses will fit right into this project.

The only new purchase I'm planning to make for this is a handful of the bigger Reaper Bones orcs, which I'll use as ogres. Those have massively wide stances, so they fit well onto 40cm bases and will look suitably scaled for the 1/72 stuff. Otherwise, it looks like I've got three or four armies ready to go already. And of course, our HotT armies can be used to fill in here or there - 120mm frontage is close enough to 125mm for the orcs, and I have a few 40mm bases underway that will allow me to field units of goblins with a 100mm frontage by combining 15mm and 1/72 elements.

Does anyone know whether Uncharted Empires contains a human army with lots of skirmishers and light cavalry? I have loads of spare Andalusians and Almoravids, but there's nothing in the main rulebook that suits them.

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2021, 07:35:28 PM »
This is the first regiment in progress: paladins with two-handed weapons. It occurs to me that my priority for the goblins should be to complete a few two-figure 40 x 20 goblin bases, as those will combine perfectly with the HotT 60x 40 horde bases to create KoW units.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2021, 07:37:13 PM »
Uncharted Empires has the Kingdom of Men army list - which is probably one of the broadest lists as it started life to provide options for Bretonian and Empire based armies. I’ve used this list for my 10mm Araby figures.

I’m not sure it covers much in the way of skirmish infantry - but that’s not a common troop type in KoW. KoM does have several flavours of cavalry, with Mounted Scouts in Troop and Regiment sizes being horse archers, then Sergeants (medium cav) and Knights (heavy cav).

UE is for KoW2 - just had to double check that my self. In KoW3 KoM list is in the core rules.

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2021, 09:18:12 PM »
Uncharted Empires has the Kingdom of Men army list - which is probably one of the broadest lists as it started life to provide options for Bretonian and Empire based armies. I’ve used this list for my 10mm Araby figures.

I’m not sure it covers much in the way of skirmish infantry - but that’s not a common troop type in KoW. KoM does have several flavours of cavalry, with Mounted Scouts in Troop and Regiment sizes being horse archers, then Sergeants (medium cav) and Knights (heavy cav).

Aha - thanks! I'll proceed cautiously, as my HotT cavalry units will be only a few mm off when doubled up. Perhaps I'll keep the foot slingers and javelin-men for HotT/D3H2 (where long lines of psiloi have already proven a tremendous annoyance in recent games!).

UE is for KoW2 - just had to double check that my self. In KoW3 KoM list is in the core rules.

Hmm ... it's not in the rulebook I have - but it does appear to be in the third-edition UE.

Anyway, it's good to know that there are some lighter cavalry options. And I imagine the Herd army will be a good fit for a lot of the 1/72 stuff I have lying around. So I'll probably pick UE up eventually - but not until I have a decent amount of forces ready! By focusing on heavily armoured humans and relying on the 60 + 40 trick for my goblins (and doubled-up HotT bases for their cavalry for now), I hope to have two reasonably sized armies ready soon. I already have some monstrous infantry types (large bugbears and trolls) on 50mm squares, and getting some ogres ready shouldn't take long. I really like Reaper orcs as ogres; their tiny heads just make them 'read' right as big monsters, and they look as if they were designed for 40mm bases. I'll probably keep the ogres individually based so that they can work as behemoths in 15mm HotT.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2021, 06:54:09 AM »
You are right on UE being for KoW3 - confused myself with too man PDFs

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2021, 08:56:03 AM »
It’s easily done!

I got a couple of units based up last night: the paladins and some scouts/archers.

I'm also wondering whether my old Ral Partha orcs/giant goblins might find a home in this project. As Mantic orcs are quite large and fearsome, the RP orcs might look the part in 1/72 as one of the fiercer unit types. I do find the 125 vs 100mm frontages mildly annoying - but I could always base them on 100mm frontages in 8s or 16s and then base a few individually on squares to widen the frontage for KoW.

The advantage of that would be that it would allow these large multibases to be used in games where all units have the same frontage (e.g. HotT, which would look good played with big bases on a 6' x 4' table). And it would allow me to keep them correctly based (16 max) for Of Armies and Hordes.

On the other hand, the Caesar 1/72 orcs have such a big 'footprint' - by dint of their huge axes - that the 125mm frontages will work quite well for them.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 09:08:24 AM by Hobgoblin »

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2021, 07:19:25 AM »
I was thinking about the 1/72 orc army and decided to use up some Oathmark goblins and Gripping Beast kitbashes thereof. They’re actually perfectly scaled for 1/72 KoW orcs: at least twice the bulk of a man, though only a bit taller.

For my HotT/D3H2 orc army, I already have a "king's guard" Bd6 (double-based fast blades) unit made up of Oathmark goblins and Gripping Beast Vikings with Oathmark goblin heads. The Oathmark goblins scale very well with the Caesar 1/72 orcs; the former are slightly larger but well within tolerance. The Oathmark sprues will also allow me to do some headswaps to vary the Caesar orcs a little. Unlike in HotT, the KoW units need to be roughly differentiated by weapon, so headswaps will help vary the two-handed axemen, etc., when they're on bigger bases.

I also have some ogres underway, using the large Reaper Bones orcs and the same company's pin-headed barbarians. For the armoured ogre guards in the Basilean list, I'll probably use the few GW Stormcast I have lying around; their small heads will echo the Reaper pinheads.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 07:26:41 AM by Hobgoblin »