Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2021, 08:25:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: BSC2021 Dolmot's little embuggerance  (Read 391 times)

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
BSC2021 Dolmot's little embuggerance
« on: April 11, 2021, 08:22:55 PM »
OK...

I haven't built or painted a thing in some eight months, for reasons.

I have never participated in the BS contest, despite planning and almost announcing to do so several times.

However, now things may be calming down. Also, one of my eternal to-dos has been to start a build topic along the lines of "Most miniature wargames include rules for difficult terrain...but do you have any?" Looks like the Contest got in there first, but that's fine. At least the match is perfect and after this more people should have such terrain, hopefully me too.

What's the plan? To be honest, nothing too fancy for now. The rough plan is to make a generic mess to spice up my 15mm woods. I managed to base a good bunch of trees of various kinds last year, but the problem is that when used alone, they look like a planted forest. It's even a minor gameplay issue when they're supposed to block LoS but you can totally see past the trunks. Often it would be more accurate to have just bushes, undergrowth, small hillocks, rocks and whatnot, so that moving through them doesn't look like a walk in the park and your troops can really disappear in there. It may not be a winning entry, but a playing entry should suffice in this time slot.

I've been accumulating both raw materials and reference material, hence this should be easy, right? Let's see.

(There are other options too, but those may require more experimentation with a risk of failure, thus I'm trying to keep this simple to get the job done and to reboot this hobby after the break.)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: BSC2021 Dolmot's little embuggerance
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 07:13:37 AM »
That's the spirit! Good onya!

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 07:08:59 AM »
I am in no position other than remaining to watch and comment in awe on which ever of the BSCs I have time to check on.

It is a shame you have not been able to do anything in this hobby for so long,

It will be awesome to see you do some again.

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 10:44:15 AM »
Great to hear from you Dolmot and see you joining the BSC - “generic mess” gives you plenty of scope  :D

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 08:13:00 PM »
Ahem. So, here's my build...

Or at least how it was around the original deadline. ::)

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 08:27:23 PM »
Looking good! lol

Yeah nah; I'm sure you've already got something good brewing, but you're not showing us, right?  ;)

Good luck all the same though; even with two extra weeks, I'm pressed for time. I'm in awe of anyone who can work wonders in just mere days from the finish line.

Looking forward to seeing the end result...  :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Everybody has a plan, until they get punched in the face - Mike Tyson

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 09:07:16 PM »
Looking good! lol

Thanks!

Yeah nah; I'm sure you've already got something good brewing, but you're not showing us, right?  ;)

Well, true, although not exactly trying to be secretive here. I just blame the recent move for everything. Every post in this thread may eventually turn into a rant about it. Apart from it taking massive amounts of time and energy, it means that all kinds of bits are missing or hidden somewhere. Also, all my tables are covered with tools and screws and home office stuff and whatnot, thus it's hard to find space for terrain building and photography. Therefore the early photos will be quite random regarding their setup and posting delay.

Anyway, apparently BSC 2021 is fought with sticks and stones. The sticks are well dried and brought from a cottage some 300 km away. The stones were collected from the yard of a rustic fire station. I've been carrying both with me so they must be special. What I threw away was all carefully selected pizza boxes and such, which I tend to use for bases. Now I scavenged an ice cream box. Let's see if this works. Still looks a bit warped in this photo...

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #7 on: Today at 04:53:14 AM »
That's coming along nicely. :D