Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:19:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689768
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 796
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: One Warband to Play Them All  (Read 3257 times)

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
Re: One Warband to Play Them All
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2021, 07:34:51 PM »
I wouldn't comment on the choice of rules (I'm biased) lol
...but one thing I know for sure is that I don't want any of my figures to be tied to any specific ruleset. Let them free. :)
All of mine are free to take part in any game (individually based I mean, basing could be a problem for large battle rules).

Offline metalface13

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2021, 09:40:03 PM »
I wouldn't comment on the choice of rules (I'm biased) lol
...but one thing I know for sure is that I don't want any of my figures to be tied to any specific ruleset. Let them free. :)
All of mine are free to take part in any game (individually based I mean, basing could be a problem for large battle rules).

Fore sure! I don't want them tied to any specific game either, but I also don't want them historically inaccurate for what they're representing.

Offline Maniac

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2021, 02:50:20 AM »
Would it be ok to use Barons' War minis for the Baltic crusaders? i'm not that familiar with them in history, and I wouldn't want to commit heresy using the wrong models  :D
But in SAGA the Baltic crusaders don't use pilgrims, correct?

In terms of period models, Baron's War era figs are perfect.  The Baltic Crusades started in 1172, and in the early 1200s they were engaged against multiple factions.  While there were no 'peasant' pilgrims, for nobles it turned into something of a show.  The Teutonic Knights were reputed to have done things specifically to wow their noble guests.

Also, the Baltic Crusades made plentiful use of local peasantry to support their raids during the winter months.
On time, on target, or the next one's free

Offline metalface13

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2021, 03:52:39 AM »
In terms of period models, Baron's War era figs are perfect.  The Baltic Crusades started in 1172, and in the early 1200s they were engaged against multiple factions.  While there were no 'peasant' pilgrims, for nobles it turned into something of a show.  The Teutonic Knights were reputed to have done things specifically to wow their noble guests.

Also, the Baltic Crusades made plentiful use of local peasantry to support their raids during the winter months.

Cool, sounds like Baltic Crusades would fit for what I'm planning. Now, got a recommendation for a 6-point army?

Offline metalface13

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2021, 01:53:42 PM »
Scratch that, looking over the Outremer rules last night and the Crusaders like some pilgrims there too.

Looks like pilgrims are back on the menu, boys!

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2021, 03:03:13 PM »
Is there a different faction I could use Barons' War era minis for? It's not that I want to play Levantine Crusaders, it's just they seemed best suited for the minis I was interested in getting.

Can pilgrims take bows or are they foot warriors?
Neither - they are levy with improvised weapons. What use is that, you may say? Well, when inspired by the holy word of God they become quite formidable, and also inspire the rest of the war and.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 03:06:20 PM by SteveBurt »

Offline metalface13

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2021, 05:20:10 PM »
Neither - they are levy with improvised weapons. What use is that, you may say? Well, when inspired by the holy word of God they become quite formidable, and also inspire the rest of the war and.

OK, I was wondering what kind of models to get for them. So it doesn't really matter what the models are carrying? I imagine it would be best if they were carrying pitch forks and stuff, but would spears or spears and shields work? Or bows sprinkled among them?

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2021, 10:12:20 AM »
I have some priests with cross, book and candle, some unarmed women and children, and some blokes with pitchforks, mattocks and spears.

Offline styrk

• Lurker
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2021, 09:57:06 PM »
I walk down the path you describe Force'(s) that work with BW Saga and Lion Ramping.

I start looking at that came out of Baron War KS and yes a bit pricey  I have tried  Fireforge  Gripping Beast, Conquest

I picked up some different spruce on ebay  for testing and since you not looking for a big uniform army. unit of 12 is max. so dont need 24 or more of same type

in 11-13 century multi-culture Arabic/ Muslim army can be used against most other army's

I found out that there is a lot of cool stuff at Gripping Beast and then you get thing working when not walk into the SAGS stuff but Gripping Beast models them you get 4 packs of metal to a okay price
I ended up with camels 4 + 1 warlord on camel and on on horse. 12 mounted on horse. 4 pack of best foot and 2 warlords on foot + 12 archers works for all 3 games.
This way you get a good looking army that includes the warlords / barons that is needed for BW and SAGA.but still works in RP

Then to save cost  the plastic Arabic Spear/Archers is GOOD i use them for 3 things maybe 4 Arabic archers Arabic spear  Armenian archers (merch Christians) (By the way out of stock)

Then I just had to have 12 mounted and 12 foot Teutonic Knights
12 plastic dark-age archers to help them out
now 12 mountend Turcopoles is in mail
Just have to say a color full looking table with that can be mixed

the clue is make core hi war-band  and support stuff that can be mix in all over the place

my Next step is 1st-corps/Crusader? Lion Rampant 24pt Later Crusader Starter Army There i get the armed foot spear /crossbow Western knights and Sergeants

Then mongols  (Fireforge)

Not sure where it ends if it dos  :D

Styrk