Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:17:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm fantasy sculpts from mammoth minis - sculpting some undead  (Read 10742 times)

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
Re: (Commercial) 28mm fantasy sculpts from mammoth minis - Mutant giant
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2021, 02:13:23 PM »
Impressive.  Like the skin texture and expressions.  Concept reminds me a bit of this old Dreamblade freak (pardon the garish repaint).

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2021, 01:05:36 PM »
It was a bit of a task, but I got him cast! this is the mould for the torso, A whopping KG of silicone.

Both parts came out great first time with only a couple of minor issues that I have now fixed - mostly just a bubbly patch in the foot that needed a bigger vent.

Here he is with some of Mammoths other miniatures - he measures about 80mm and dwarfs everthing else I've put out so far! He'll go up as a pre order in the next few days :)

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2021, 11:05:04 AM »
Slapped a bit of paint on the giant - he's still WIP but i'm pleased with how he looks in colour. I should have him up on the shop in a few days.

I will say that my quite painterly (read - messy) approach to adding texture to minis is perhaps not that suited to a mini so covered in texture - I may cast up a second for myself to experiment with a more basic paintjob.

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2021, 12:26:42 PM »
Paint job looks fine to me.

Offline Horrabin

• Assistant
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2021, 07:38:41 PM »
Superb!
\"Black, his codpiece made of metal...\"

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2021, 04:49:49 AM »
That's very nice. Love the grotesque look.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2021, 12:56:06 PM »
Looks great! And as the paintjob holds up in that sort of extreme close-up, I'd wager it looks spectacular on the table.

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2021, 07:10:31 PM »
Looks great! And as the paintjob holds up in that sort of extreme close-up, I'd wager it looks spectacular on the table.

Cheers! :)

He's now up for order on the shop, and hopefully I can get my own one finished soon.

https://mammoth-miniatures.onlineweb.shop/Gogmagog_the_living_maw/p6748004_21377267.aspx

• Mad Scientist
Re: 28mm fantasy sculpts from mammoth minis - Mutant giant
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2021, 01:36:38 PM »
Been a bit busy to paint anything lately, But I have sculpted up some new stuff and got it cast in my bit of downtime -

My favourite is the walking giant fish, But people seem keen on the cultist body blanks - I originally sculpted those for myself but the response on instagram was that people would like them for their own conversions.

The mutated wizard is an old sculpt I found whilst unpacking, And I figured someone might have use for a sorcerer covered in eyes.

I've also added ome new sci fi stuff, but that's not for this thread :)

• Mastermind
Re: 28mm fantasy sculpts from mammoth minis - Mutant giant
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2021, 02:09:12 PM »
Weird synchronicity, I was working a fish with legs inspired by some medieval art myself over the weekend.  Maybe I'll just grab yours instead...

• Mad Scientist
Re: 28mm fantasy sculpts from mammoth minis - scaly mud dragon
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2022, 07:35:34 PM »
Something new!

I sculpted this last night, cast it today and got it on the site for sale this evening.

I wanted a real oldhammer look for my first dragon, But i also wanted him to be a bit of a chunky unit.
I sculpted this one in monster clay -  a lovely material ,but one I've never cast before so I'm really pleased that the casts are coming out perfect.

He's up on the mammoth site now https://mammoth-miniatures.onlineweb.shop/product/scaley-mud-dragon

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2022, 02:37:47 PM »
Well I finally did it, I sat down, powered through, and managed to make awhole figure in Zbrush!

As anyone who has been following my 3D scanning thread https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=137316.msg1756806#msg1756806 will know, I have been trying to find workarounds to create STL files of some of my designs as I really struggle with digital modeling. But for some reason I sat down this weekend and it all just clicked ,the scales fell from my eyes and I was able to make a whole figure.

Is it perfect? No, far from it - There is SO MUCH that I need to learn and improve on. I need to unlearn my entire approach to sculpting really. But that hurdle of getting a something that looks like an actual figure done is finally gone!

I have put the STL for this spikey lad up on the planet28 patreon, but right now he's just a stepping stone towards (hopefully) better things.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2022, 07:31:17 AM »
A little rough (or smooth in this case) around the edges but I think it's a great looking figure!  8)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2023, 12:05:03 PM »
Been making some new stuff - A ghoulish man eating giant, A spikey mutant lad, a stoic dwarf and a giant snake. All of these are hand sculpted with the exception of the spikey brute, which is an early digital sculpt. The giant was a great bit of fun to make, and adding a victim into its hands was a nice challenge. he's about 70mm from base to head.

I also sculpted some new ruined standing stones - These were carved from plaster. I may make an altar of centrepiece to go with these.

All of these are up for sale on mammoth miniatures. I've got a few gobliny warriors on my workbench right now.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2023, 12:10:59 PM »
That giant looks great!  :o
Goya?!