Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:09:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690628
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Paint Tracker Apps  (Read 996 times)

Offline Kaluthmar

• Assistant
Paint Tracker Apps
« on: April 14, 2021, 09:09:33 PM »
Afternoon All,

I was wondering what, if any, paint tracker apps everyone is using?  I found and downloaded MiniPaints and paintRack, but I have not yet had a chance to work with them.  They both seem to be able to track my paint collection and help you find matching colors across paint brands.

Both are free for basic use, but you need to pay for all the features.  Looks like it might be worth it, but I would only want to do it once.

Thanks,
Kaluthmar

Offline fusilierdan

• Librarian
Re: Paint Tracker Apps
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 02:06:24 AM »
I have "Model Colors" on my phone. It does all sorts of stuff but I mostly use to keep track of what paints I have so that I don't buy duplicates by mistake. It's free.

Offline The Great Mahoo

• Bookworm
    • Adventures on the Tabletop
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 05:32:11 PM »
I use PaintRack on my phone. I think it was 4 or 5 bucks for the full version.  Helps keep track of my current paints, and can record color sets, which track what paints I use on units. Also helps make recommendations for complementary colors based on what i have in my inventory. And when I've bought big paint packs, the scan feature makes it easy to add to my list without having to search each color.

My only complaint is that the displayed color for a lot of the paints does not match the true color of the paint. I find some of my Reaper paints just don't look at all on the app like they do in the bottle or evan dried.  Makes it hard to peruse my app list of colors to plan a scheme, but I can just do that with my paint pots, so isn't a big deal.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 09:09:52 PM »
I also paid a few bucks for the full version of PaintRack for my phone. Well worth it. The free version works nicely, but the paid version has some additions that make the tiny pricetag worth it.

It'll scan barcodes to make adding new paints to the inventory, keep painting notes, all that sort of stuff. They have a cloud backup thing that made updating the app when I got a new phone last year super easy, too.

Apparently it'll do colour matching from photos; I've not tried that yet but will probably give it a shot when I get back to painting WW2 naval stuff.

Displayed colour on a screen vs physical colour is HARD, and the fact that some of the shades don't match doesn't surprise me. (my stepmother used to sell wool and fibre online and trying to colourmatch photos and the real thing was hard there too; I used to run her store website for her...)

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 04:19:58 PM »
Late to the party, but thanks for posting this topics guys. I decided to go with Paint Rack. More so to stop me fumbling thru my plastic storage containers trying to see if I have a certain color AND (more importantly) to stop me from buying colors I already have.  :?