Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:23:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm advice please - Soviets in Afghanistan  (Read 2415 times)

Offline tuco74

• Librarian
15mm advice please - Soviets in Afghanistan
« on: April 14, 2021, 10:42:14 PM »
Hi,
I'm considering a 15mm Soviets in Afghanistan project.
It's not a conflict I know a ton about but it ticks a number of boxes for me.
Irregular Minis seem to have a good selection but I'm not sure how comprehensive it is. Can anybody recommend compatible or better ranges?
Thanks in advance.

Offline MikeLance

• Assistant
Re: 15mm advice please - Soviets in Afghanistan
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 11:25:50 PM »
It is worth having a look at these...

https://khurasanminiatures.tripod.com/modern-russian.html

(they have vehicles and a wide range of infantry support weapons.)

QRF also had a great range including assorted soft hats troops suitable for Afghanistan but they are currently out-of-stock / for sale.

https://quickreactionforce.co.uk/product-category/qrf/qrf-ranges-for-sale/qrf-qrf-1900-onwards-postwar-1945-1990-soviet/

Offline tuco74

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 11:51:33 PM »
Thanks very much, I'll take a look.

Offline irishserb

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 12:40:59 PM »
For my forces, I used primarily Old Glory/Command Decision Afghans and QRF Soviet infantry.  Both of these manufacturers offer a fine selection of vehicles for the Soviets as well.  I'll touch more on this in a later post, as i am on my way out the door at the moment.

I would also suggest getting copies of The Bear Went Over the Mountain, and The Other Side of the Mountain by Lester W. Grau.  Both are incredible texts, the first looking at specific battles from the Soviet side, the second doing so from the Afghan side.  Well written, concise, perfect for the gamer.

Offline tuco74

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 01:57:57 PM »
For my forces, I used primarily Old Glory/Command Decision Afghans and QRF Soviet infantry.  Both of these manufacturers offer a fine selection of vehicles for the Soviets as well.  I'll touch more on this in a later post, as i am on my way out the door at the moment.

I would also suggest getting copies of The Bear Went Over the Mountain, and The Other Side of the Mountain by Lester W. Grau.  Both are incredible texts, the first looking at specific battles from the Soviet side, the second doing so from the Afghan side.  Well written, concise, perfect for the gamer.

Thanks for that. Just looked at QRF but everything is out of stock - possibly Covid related?

Funny you should mention those books, they're what prompted my interest. I watched a movie called '12 Strong' the other week (first US incursion in Afghanistan following 9/11, pretty decent film) and spotted a couple of characters reading The Bear Went Over The Mountain. I'll add them to my list, cheers.

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 05:24:30 PM »
Read the book the movie is "based on", Horse Soldiers. Excellent and no Hollywood BS chest beating like the movie.

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 11:53:06 PM »
Funny you should mention those books, they're what prompted my interest. I watched a movie called '12 Strong' the other week (first US incursion in Afghanistan following 9/11, pretty decent film) and spotted a couple of characters reading The Bear Went Over The Mountain. I'll add them to my list, cheers.

I have the Osprey essential histories on the Soviet Afghan war and found it a reasonable reference. It leads to a lot of topics which can grab your attention as you research the various threads to learn about specific parts of history. There are a few Soviet movies on youtube which can give you a good feel. I have the tactics book and find them very good for the feel of the combat (usually high level).

Offline irishserb

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2021, 12:07:58 AM »
I see what you mean about QRF.  They have some Soviet stuff available under the 1950s-1970s heading, but they are selling off ranges of miniatures, and it looks like a huge portion of their Soviet stuff is in limbo as a result.  Really bummed to see this as I was going to pick up a ton of stuff later this year.  Oh well, woulda coulda...

So regarding infantry, MJ figures makes a small line of both Soviets and Afghans. Scale shifts a bit with them, as i had a couple of figs that were either too large or too small to fit in well with other 15mm figs.

Other infantry sources are Team Yankee, Eureka, and Army Bits.  The Quality Castings figs are noticeably smaller than everyone else's.  I got some for weapons crews and whatnot, but ended up not using them as they were just too small to mix in my opinion.

On the vehicle front,  Quality Castings/19th Century miniatures have some vehicles that are quite nice, though they are a little smaller than most other manufacturers.  If you don't mix the same vehicle from different manufacturers, they should work out okay.

Army Bits, CD mentioned previously, some of the Team Yankee stuff, Plastic Soldier Company, and Zvezda all have some vehicles that are options.

Mi8 helicopters may still be available from QRF, and otherwise can be found as diecasts, Mi24s from Team Yankee and Revell, Ebay can be your friend on some of these.

Oh,  and another book that I found interesting as a gamer was The Hidden War by Artyom Borovik, not the same kind of tactical guide as the Glau books, but gets you inside the head of Soviet soldiers of the time.  A couple of movies that may be of interest are The Beast, not so much for gaming, but a good flick, and 9 Rota a Russian movie about the war.

Hope some of this might be of some help, best of luck with your project. 

Offline tuco74

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 09:09:20 AM »

Other infantry sources are Team Yankee, Eureka, and Army Bits.  The Quality Castings figs are noticeably smaller than everyone else's.  I got some for weapons crews and whatnot, but ended up not using them as they were just too small to mix in my opinion.

That's all really useful, much obliged. Is the PSC Cold War Soviets box appropriate for standard infantry? I had a quick Google last night and it seems to be about right.

Offline irishserb

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 12:27:26 PM »
I've not taken a close look at them (I don't have any Soviet PSC stuff), but generally they seem fine.  Given that the Soviets pulled out of Afghanistan in'89 and the Soviet Union dissolved in '91, I think you'd be hard pressed to find Soviet Cold War  figs that were equipped incorrectly. 

Even for some equipment introduced after the war, like the AGS-30 grenade launcher, I wouldn't really wouldn't hesitate to use it to represent an AGS-17, as it is fairly similar, and in 15mm may not be easy to identify particularly as one or the other.  It just depends on how particular you are.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 02:19:11 PM »
IIRC the PSC Soviet infantry are all in standard European kit. Fine for the early part of the war but by the early to mid 1980s the Soviets were fielding theatre specific uniforms and there was an increased use of chest rigs and camouflage coveralls along with body armour. Depends on what part of the war you want to focus on. Not sure who makes Soviets in the Afghanka or Mabuta uniforms or even KLMK camo suits in 15mm so your options might be limited.

Have a look at the Eureka 28mm Soviets in Afghanistan for an idea of some of the uniform and kit variants. The Osprey on Soviet Airborne forces is one of those rare Ospreys that delivers, well worth checking out for the uniform plates as the uniforms are generally speaking just as applicable to motor rifle troops as airborne.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline tuco74

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 02:21:09 PM »
IIRC the PSC Soviet infantry are all in standard European kit. Fine for the early part of the war but by the early to mid 1980s the Soviets were fielding theatre specific uniforms and there was an increased use of chest rigs and camouflage coveralls along with body armour. Depends on what part of the war you want to focus on. Not sure who makes Soviets in the Afghanka or Mabuta uniforms or even KLMK camo suits in 15mm so your options might be limited.

Have a look at the Eureka 28mm Soviets in Afghanistan for an idea of some of the uniform and kit variants. The Osprey on Soviet Airborne forces is one of those rare Ospreys that delivers, well worth checking out for the uniform plates as the uniforms are generally speaking just as applicable to motor rifle troops as airborne.

Thanks for the tip.

Offline irishserb

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2021, 01:14:00 PM »
Carlos is right on about the uniforms, though the only 15mm figs that I remember that reflect this are the ones from MJ figures.  There is a book entitled Afghanistan: A Russian Soldiers Story by Vladislav Tamarov that is a collection of his photos, each with a paragraph about the photo.  The book mostly touches on his memories (often not so good and touching on PTSD) and the text tends to be philosophical, gets into his psyche a lot, but no so much the antiquarian details that most gamers are looking for.  The photos are a great collection demonstrating what the soldiers looked like in the field. 

He was airborne, so you see mostly paras looking rather sloppy or rough  (and practical) in their uniforms, and almost always in their Panama Hats, no blue berets (though i painted some of the old QRF figs that way, and they look so cool on the table, if wrong).  For the most part they don't have that crisp equipment laden look of most of the 15mm Soviet army troops meant for Europe.

Another note regarding figs, Peter Pig makes what they cal "Regulars" in Soviet uniforms and gear for their Modern Africa Range.  The later pack numbers (60s+)are in Soviet Helmets, and the figs are less "formal" looking, a little sloppier than typical Soviet troops or figs, they carry Soviet small arms, and I think would work well for Soviets in the field in Afghanistan.  Unfortunately none in Panama hats, though maybe with a little trimming, you could do some conversions with the Italian Alpine heads the Peter Pig sells. 

if you can find them (and want to do some converting), QRF made I think they called them Air Assault infantry that were Soviets that appear to be in the Berezka or some similar coverall uniform, they were pretty heavily equipped with packs and whatnot, and had the ribbed airborne helmets, but might provide a basis for some conversions in the one piece uniforms.

Peter Pig also has a small selection of post war and post war vehicles in their  Modern Africa range that may be useful for Afghanistan.

And lastly, Ebay can be a quick, if not always consistent or accurate source for uniform colors for the Soviet uniforms for Afghanistan.

Offline irishserb

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2021, 02:05:45 PM »
Sorry, somehow made a duplicate post.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 02:07:22 PM by irishserb »

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2021, 07:39:51 PM »
Irish

Sorry I have looked and can't find 15mm Mi8s in either kit or die cast. I am happy with anything from 1/100 to 1/87 which opens a lot of supplies up. Butler Printed Models just released a 3D printed Mi-8/Mi-17 with weaponry. I ordered some 3D printed ultra modern French from a guy in Belgium (I think). He advised the models are very delicate, and brittle. So I wonder if Butler uses a different method or material. The reason I am curious is the pictures on their site show a very smooth finish (very nice and suitable for helis) whereas the pics of their armour has a very layer like and "rough" look. I have some 6mm not Miyazaki sci fi tanks from another guy in Europe and they are very smooth and the round shapes are very round, not 6 or 8 sided masquerading as round. But they are very brittle. As I snipped off the minis from their bases, just the shock, broke off all the MG barrels. Sad but understandable. Sorry this long winded paragraph is I hope the helis are smooth like the pictures (don't seem to be renders) while also hoping they are not so brittle so as to be unusable.

QRF are excellent (have quite a few myself) as are Rebel minis. BUT QRF is AWOL until someone else picks them up and starts production over again. Soviets are not the issue but Pashtun Afghans are. Irregular sells 15mm "Afghans" in turbans, not the characteristic topis. This is a very obvious on a miniature. QRF nailed it. So did Heroics and Ros in their 6mm Taliban, which I use for Afghans during the Soviet Afghan war. So suggestions on suitable Afghans?