Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:21:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm advice please - Soviets in Afghanistan  (Read 2426 times)

Offline irishserb

• Assistant
Re: 15mm advice please - Soviets in Afghanistan
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2021, 03:11:10 AM »
Fibri did some diecast Mi-8s several years back, in at least two different civilian paint schemes, I picked a couple up on E-bay.  They pop up there occasionally.  I don't have any experience with the Butlers models, nor the guy in Belgium.  Having looked at the BPM Mi-8, it is probably cleaner than the QRF models that I have, and would probably be the route that I would go, if I had to buy today.

I ended up using the Command Decision Afghans for the most part. I noticed that they are listed as simply "Middle Eastern Irregulars" on the UK site:

http://www.oldgloryuk.com/15mm-modern-infantry-and-vehicles/14/99/305/309

I know that some people don't really like them, but they've gotten the job done for me.

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2021, 12:23:05 PM »
Googled Fibri Mi-8 and all I got was fibrillation. The images were of full scale Hips but when opened as images they all disappeared! Frustrating as I usually follow image links and often find sources. Oh well BPM it will be.

Thanks for the lead on the Command Decision Afghans. They look the part (at least from the tiny images). What is it about them some people don't like?

Also thanks for the heads up on the Tamorov book. Just started late last night. Definitely a hard read and he has every right to it.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 12:25:12 PM by madman »

Offline irishserb

• Assistant
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2021, 03:16:05 PM »
Regarding the Command Decision figs, I've read discussion critical of the height of some of the sculpts, but I didn't find them to be outside the range of normal human variation.  Other comments related to condition of molds during casting (this was more than a decade ago), and I've read some discussion that would have preferred other poses. 

I didn't really have any issues with them, maybe other than wishing there was an additional machine gunner pose that wasn't prone. Basically you will find a mix of clothing and headgear as represented in Isby's Osprey book on Afghanistan.  Note that there is also a command and heavy weapons pack.

Glad you find the Tamarov book interesting.  I found that it added something to my gaming process, that the books about tactics and AARs don't offer.

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2021, 03:48:12 PM »
Regarding the Command Decision figs, I've read discussion critical of the height of some of the sculpts, but I didn't find them to be outside the range of normal human variation.  Other comments related to condition of molds during casting (this was more than a decade ago), and I've read some discussion that would have preferred other poses. 

I didn't really have any issues with them, maybe other than wishing there was an additional machine gunner pose that wasn't prone. Basically you will find a mix of clothing and headgear as represented in Isby's Osprey book on Afghanistan.  Note that there is also a command and heavy weapons pack.

Glad you find the Tamarov book interesting.  I found that it added something to my gaming process, that the books about tactics and AARs don't offer.

How recently did you get the castings? Perhaps they made new molds.

I am still on the fence wrt Ambush Alley/Force on Force as opposed to Battlespace or something else for rules and scenarios. I have mostly Rebel Minis from various ranges and the total lack of lmgs, saws or snipers (for non US or contractor forces) is an issue so I have bought a few packs of Peter Pig figures with suitable weapons and similar outfits to fill in the gaps. Mostly it is Ambush Alley (and I assume FoF but am starting with AA for now) which calls for a number of specialty equipped figures not included in the RM sets which has driven this need. I find them fine in the mix. I also have figures from Slave2Gaming and Magistar Militum and frankly at 15mm they all look fine together. All my QRF are still in package so I haven't compared them but again a quick look they look fine. Perhaps my old eyes and perhaps at the scale it is less obvious (or I am less picky) than those using 28s.

I know what you mean about the Tamarov book. It is good to get a feel for the conflict from someone who was there and felt and lived it not just studied it from afar. That and his ability to bring his thoughts across is what counts.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2021, 05:50:49 PM »
Madman:  Try googling Fabbri 1/100 MI8.  They are hard to find, though...

CapnJim
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2021, 07:06:05 PM »
Madman:  Try googling Fabbri 1/100 MI8.  They are hard to find, though...

CapnJim

OK. They look familiar. I was looking for those before and no luck. I guess they are out of production. I checked with Scale Creep, who carries QRF in NA, and he had none of the QRF Mi-8s so Butler it will be. Thank you all for your help and advice.

Offline irishserb

• Assistant
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2021, 12:51:13 PM »
My Command Decision figs date from 2000 and probably 2005 for the second batch.  Seems to me that I read the comments about molds maybe 2009-2010. 

Sorry about the misspelling for the Mi-8 (thanks for the catch CapnJim), last one i saw on E-bay was maybe late November-early December last year.

Best of luck with your project.

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2021, 12:40:09 PM »
Lets add this to the (potential) want list; a ZSU-23-2. I have a few of them for my 6mm Soviet-Afghan war forces so would like one for 15mm. Had a quick look and no luck. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Offline irishserb

• Assistant
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2021, 01:15:04 PM »
QRF still offers their ZU-23-2, a bit fiddly to build, but a nice model.

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2021, 02:40:22 PM »
Bingo. Thank you. All their stuff is fiddly to build. Couldn't find a good shot of the ZPU-1 until I revisited their site looking for this. Of course that picture has the operator on the bottom from where I glued him!

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2021, 04:04:08 AM »
I recommend watching the Russian film "Caravan Hunters". Russian special forces are tasked with obtaining the Stinger.
Four episodes. Just turn on English subtitles.

And here I have a few Kamaz trucks left. This is a diecast toy that fits well to scale. But I would replace the wheels with something more similar, perhaps from other models or toys.

http://siberia-miniatures.ru/product_info.php?cPath=41_101_108_181&products_id=1694

« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 04:07:40 AM by cuprum »