Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:07:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Lion Rampant 2nd ed HC?  (Read 15640 times)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Lion Rampant 2nd ed HC?
« on: April 15, 2021, 01:59:28 PM »
I don't have an instagram account, but it sounds like a Second Edition of Lion Rampant was leaked. https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/duxrampant/lion-rampant-2nd-edition-rumour-t1151.html

I'm curious how they would expand the sleek, efficient LR ruleset into a robust hardcover. Maybe keep the core rules as is, but add the Crusader supplement, the Dragon Rampant fantasy options, etc all as new chapters or something.

Anyone know anymore about this?

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist
Re: Lion Rampant 2nd ed HC?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 03:10:49 PM »
The Instagram Leak I've heard was Mr Mersey posted a picture of minis he stated where going into the 2nd edition.

I followed this up on the Dux Rampant forum as per the link you've posted, and a source has confirmed it is happening and is due to be Hard Cover. By source I mean someone who has been a part of the previous rampant rules released and not Mr Merseys' barbers aunt's dog walker so its about as legit as you can get without a more direct announcement. Although nothing confirmed beyond that and no idea about release dates, maybe check Osprey future releases and keep an eye on Wargames Illustrated news.

Speculating somewhat on my part and no more idea than yourself:

I'm expecting the kind of upgrade Gaslands had.

As regards additional content I would point to the various magazine articles such as the previously mentioned Wargames Illustrated and Wargames Soldiers and Strategy in which Mr Mersey has previously provided additional rules. So expanding the timeframe backwards and forwards a few hundred years, so the Dark Age rules, maybe the King Arthur background (rather more likely than the Crusader States done with Edinburgh press), Mercenaries, Medieval Handgonnes, and Wars of the Roses/Tudor variant units added (mixed pike and missile troops) taking upto the start of the Pikemans Lament timeframe. Also maybe siege rules and expanding for big battles. Plus whatever new might get in.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 03:14:33 PM by AdmiralAndy »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 07:17:46 PM »
I've messaged Dan to see what's what. Hopefully I will remember to check Instagram! I'm not often on the site. :)

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 07:18:51 PM »
This sounds very interesting indeed - thanks for the heads up.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Iain R

• Mad Scientist
  • High on life... and thinners. Mainly thinners.
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 10:29:52 PM »
I refuse to use Instagram. I'm not sure if I despised it more when it was just full of hipsters taking pictures of their dinners with crap "vintage" filters, or now that it's a vapid wasteland of "influencers" (the very concept of which makes my skin crawl).

I'm perfectly happy with V.1 LR in all honesty, but dependent on content and price, may be persuaded to buy this. The whole draw of the Osprey "blue book" rules was their low cost and simplicity....
Proudly not painting Wars of The Roses since... ever

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 10:41:28 PM »
I somewhat agree.

My first Osprey book was Gaslands Refuelled. I've since bought a lot of the blue books with Zona Alfa, Lion Rampant, Dragon Rampant, and Ronin taking almost no space on my bedside nighstand. I love these books. They are sleek, efficient, yet fire my creative imagination. I've _really_ considered buying the Gaslands bluebook, so it can rest with these elite tomes. Also, I don't use a lot of the Gaslands expanded stuff but mainly the core rules. I don't really feel like I need more for LR either, but a robust new HC will probably raise its profile as a system in the game stores...

... and I’ll probably buy it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 11:00:37 PM by Jack Hooligan »

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 07:42:06 AM »
I posted in that thread myself and he's not really posted anything related since on his Instagram account.

I quite like the Lion Rampant rules, especially the Landwasters and Raven Feeders article he did for War-games Illustrated, so I'm interested to see what they do with it.

As I mentioned over on the other forum, really miss the blog he used to have.

Steve

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2021, 01:43:05 PM »
I refuse to use Instagram. I'm not sure if I despised it more when it was just full of hipsters taking pictures of their dinners with crap "vintage" filters, or now that it's a vapid wasteland of "influencers" (the very concept of which makes my skin crawl).

I'm perfectly happy with V.1 LR in all honesty, but dependent on content and price, may be persuaded to buy this. The whole draw of the Osprey "blue book" rules was their low cost and simplicity....

I'm personally expecting the core mechanics will stay pretty much as is with maybe some optional suggestions and some rules for running sieges as apparently Mr Mersey is a bit of a Castle Nerd. Also perhaps some campaign structure as he's done one or two articles about that and does some campaigns himself.

I would look to the Lion Rampant part of the Dux Rampant Forum and the specific articles in Magazines by Mr Mersey to get an indication of the changes and content, and I think it will be a case of additional rather than change, don't break what isn't fixed!

Fact is there's still articles and scenarios based on LR with no more than tweaks most recently a few months back Miniature Wargames had a War of the Roses Blore Heath scenario.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 01:49:25 PM »
I think there was even a Crusader scenario in the recent WI 400. However, I'm not exactly sure the publishing relationship on that Crusader stuff so it may or may not make it into the new book.

I would like to see some eastern retinues included though. Armies of the samurai and such.

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 02:35:40 PM »
I think there was even a Crusader scenario in the recent WI 400. However, I'm not exactly sure the publishing relationship on that Crusader stuff so it may or may not make it into the new book.

I would like to see some eastern retinues included though. Armies of the samurai and such.

I Think Japanese forces got added in the Pikemans Lament Exotic Army Lists which should be available in the same forum, and Michael Leck did some rules suggestions in Wargames Soldiers Strategy 92.

I haven't checked out Magazines properly since Christmas so it wouldn't surprise me there's a LR Crusader scenario, but even if taken as not working hand in hand with Osprey. It is an example of LR Scenario largely as rules written originally, which I think if he planned any major changes, Crusader States would already include.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 03:07:09 PM »
This is interesting news.

I would wager a decent amount of money that they will tweak the "Leader Rules" and the Activation rules to mirror more of what their later systems did. 

I will buy this as I adore Mersey's work.
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 04:30:37 PM »
I would wager a decent amount of money that they will tweak the "Leader Rules" and the Activation rules to mirror more of what their later systems did. 

This seems quite possible.

Steve

Offline danmer

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2021, 07:30:48 AM »
It's neither a leak or a rumour - I've just been sharing some of my photos online. LR2 is happening, but there won't be an official Osprey announcement for some time yet as it publishes in 2022. We will share more details closer to the time. But as I'm here...

This edition will be a longer, hardback book and is expanded to cover the Dark Ages as well as the medieval period. In addition, you'll find extra scenarios and expanded campaign ideas, greater details for terrain, a chapter of optional rules, extra unit upgrades, and plenty of other new stuff due to the expanded page count (I could only cram so much into the original page count).

The core rules have a few updates but it's still LR as you know it. Same goes for troop types - any retinue you raised for the blue book will still be usable. I'm not in the habit of making you buy new books or minis for the sake of it!

Offline danmer

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2021, 07:31:51 AM »

Yep, describes me perfectly.

https://www.instagram.com/mr_daniels_games_emporium/

Offline danmer

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2021, 07:37:02 AM »
apparently Mr Mersey is a bit of a Castle Nerd.

It's good to learn something new about myself!  lol lol