Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:07:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Lion Rampant 2nd ed HC?  (Read 15641 times)

Offline pws

• Scientist
    • Pippoweb hobby blog
Re: Lion Rampant 2nd ed HC?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2021, 08:31:26 AM »
This edition will be a longer, hardback book and is expanded to cover the Dark Ages as well as the medieval period. In addition, you'll find extra scenarios and expanded campaign ideas, greater details for terrain, a chapter of optional rules, extra unit upgrades, and plenty of other new stuff due to the expanded page count (I could only cram so much into the original page count).

Very happy to read that  :-*

I'll look forward to see the new edition. I'm just painting some Saracens for Crusade States.
I love all the LR series: Dragon rampant, Pikeman's lament, TMWWBK, Rebels & Patriots, nice sets and with just some little tweaks the subsequent sets can upgrade the "old" LR with new ideas.

We used R&P even for napoleonic games with no effort, just a couple of small modification taken from ideas already in the previous books.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 08:36:26 AM by pws »
Per aspera ad astra
pippoweb.blogspot.it

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2021, 10:16:27 AM »
This edition will be a longer, hardback book and is expanded to cover the Dark Ages as well as the medieval period. In addition, you'll find extra scenarios and expanded campaign ideas, greater details for terrain, a chapter of optional rules, extra unit upgrades, and plenty of other new stuff due to the expanded page count (I could only cram so much into the original page count).

The core rules have a few updates but it's still LR as you know it. Same goes for troop types - any retinue you raised for the blue book will still be usable. I'm not in the habit of making you buy new books or minis for the sake of it!

This sounds great, look forward to hearing more closer to release.  :D

Steve

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2021, 03:17:53 PM »
It's neither a leak or a rumour - I've just been sharing some of my photos online. LR2 is happening, but there won't be an official Osprey announcement for some time yet as it publishes in 2022. We will share more details closer to the time. But as I'm here...

The core rules have a few updates but it's still LR as you know it. Same goes for troop types - any retinue you raised for the blue book will still be usable. I'm not in the habit of making you buy new books or minis for the sake of it!

This sounds fantastic. Glad to hear I won't need to give up the bluebook, I love it, but I will definitely buy a copy of second edition.

I don't know that you check into these parts too often, so I just wanted to shout your rules out for Lion and Dragon Rampant. After 30years of minis gaming I didn't think I'd come across rules that would recharge me as much as they have. Thank you for the humor, positive attitude, and rules clarity. Cheers!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2021, 05:01:36 PM »
Well, that settles it then. Roll on the publication of the book  8)

There's time yet to build on the Haggis Rampant forces!  :D

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2021, 11:04:39 PM »
 :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Woohoo, but a year to wait, erm will this be before/after Xenos Rampant one wonders.

Look forward to see about the Campaign Rules and if this links in with the Old Wargames Illustrated Condottiere rules.

Castles, Catapults and big battles oh my.

Offline danmer

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2021, 12:01:11 PM »
I don't know that you check into these parts too often, so I just wanted to shout your rules out for Lion and Dragon Rampant. After 30years of minis gaming I didn't think I'd come across rules that would recharge me as much as they have. Thank you for the humor, positive attitude, and rules clarity. Cheers!

Thank you, pleased you're getting some fun from them.

Offline danmer

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2021, 12:03:43 PM »
Woohoo, but a year to wait, erm will this be before/after Xenos Rampant one wonders.

I'm not sure of the order Osprey are publishing them in but am sure that info will be confirmed sometime soon....

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2021, 02:55:31 PM »
Not directly related to the 2nd Edition but Northstar posted on FB the other day that the team behind the Crusader States supplement are working on another one called ‘A Viking in the Sun - The Mediterranean Adventures of Harald Hardrada’ for late summer 2021.

Really enjoyed the Crusader States one so I’m looking forward to this one too.

Steve

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2021, 03:45:56 PM »

Are any of the changes to the activation system that you've made in your other rule sets going to make it into LR2?

Offline danmer

• Librarian
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2021, 09:13:19 PM »
Red Rowan - yes, I'm working on this with the Edinburgh team. It'll be out later this year.

Pixelgeek - Activation mechanic stays the same as I feel it represents chaotic medieval skirmishes without the command structure of later periods (which is why those other rule sets had changes), but I am including an alternative for those who wish to use it.

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2021, 07:52:40 AM »
That's great to hear, the previous supplement is really good.

The background information to the setting and the information for each of the armies listed was a great introduction to the period. Looking forward to the next one.

Steve

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2021, 02:01:32 PM »
I’m a big fan of the current activation system and looking forward to the rules staying relatively the same, but a new HC is a good opportunity for optional rules for those that prefer something different. Looking forward to this book!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2021, 09:50:32 PM »
I like the current activation system. I find it works pretty well and although quite a few people whinge about it, provided you keep your leader close to the units under his command, you’re judicious in picking the right order type for the situation, and also activating your units in the optimum order for success, I’ve found in both LR and TPL that activation failures are actually not all that common, and absolute turn-ending stymies rare. Just don’t try and do the most difficult activations first :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2021, 12:11:46 PM »
I like the current activation system. I find it works pretty well and although quite a few people whinge about it, provided you keep your leader close to the units under his command, you’re judicious in picking the right order type for the situation, and also activating your units in the optimum order for success, I’ve found in both LR and TPL that activation failures are actually not all that common, and absolute turn-ending stymies rare. Just don’t try and do the most difficult activations first :)

We've used the FFoL activation at the club. Although I haven't played in any of the games where the FFoL amendment was used all the guys playing thought it to be a vast inprovement. Hopefully I will get a chance to find out soon :)

Offline KarwickWingmaker

• Librarian
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2021, 01:04:29 PM »
We've used the FFoL activation at the club. Although I haven't played in any of the games where the FFoL amendment was used all the guys playing thought it to be a vast inprovement. Hopefully I will get a chance to find out soon :)

I’d used counters in a bag (a bit like bolt action). Players would each be represented by a specific colour. One player would draw a counter and the player corresponding to whichever colour came out could activate a unit. If the unit failed, it just didn’t act that turn and another counter was drawn. Therefore allowing for a random order to the activations while still allowing every unit on the table to attempt to activate.

Units needing to rally, or that had the special rule that meant they charged whenever they could, were always activated on the first time that one of the controlling player’s counter was drawn from the bag that turn.

I stopped using lion rampant as I quite like being able to decide how large I want a unit to be, rather than being restricted to 12 or 6 figures per unit. Very interested in the new iteration though!