Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:04:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Lion Rampant 2nd ed HC?  (Read 15627 times)

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
Re: Lion Rampant 2nd ed HC?
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2021, 05:03:35 PM »
We had two games of LR (one was actually Chariots Rampant), where one side rolled 4 or less on its first activation three turns in a row, while the other side activated pretty much everyone. In one of the two games one side managed a total of three activations in the entire game. We introduced a 'mulligan' rule allowing a re-roll of a failed first activation but we still found too many games where one side did all the activating. The other games in the LR stable (men who would be kings, rebels & patriots) don't suffer from this issue. It may be a good simulation of medieval command and control but it makes for too many spoiled games for us.

Offline crafty

• Librarian
  • Slapdash
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2021, 11:36:01 AM »
I bought the blue LR book a few weeks ago, it was a little hard to track down from Australian distributers, but I found it eventually. I'm pleased to hear it won't be superseded cuz I always seem to arrive late to the party, and it would be typical of me to buy the 'old' edition.

We had our first face to face LR game yesterday at my local club. We found it smooth, easy to learn & play. We used unit cards I found on the web and those made the game flow along nicely. The cards made the game less onerous because we didn't have to check charts or flip through the book a million times.

As for those risky activations rolls, we didn't mind, there was enough give & take, and because we played the game loose & fast, there were a few twists and turns of fortune. The game moved quickly and lasted about 90 minutes. It was good fun, we'll play again.

This Slap-Dash Life
@Mcslapdash@mastodon.social

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2021, 07:28:47 PM »
The last couple of posts capture the different experiences with LR and DR - either the activations play out fairly evenly and the players feel it is the narrative of the game. Or one side feels they are doing nothing, and the other side is dancing around them with loads of activations. Warmaster has similar experiences.

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2021, 10:34:41 AM »
It comes down to how many games are played and the odds.  If there have been lots of LR games played then some will have their first three activations fail.  If it is a 5+ unit then the chance is 0.5%.  For a 7+ activation it is 7%.

Perhaps a mulligan could be offered if you failed your first activation on your last turn?  Or a bonus - say +1 for each cumulative first activation failure.

Some of it does come down to risk though.  Many people are not very good at assessing risk and odds.  5+ compared to 7+ doesn't sound like a lot but when you start compounding those odds it quickly diverges.

Also you can compare this to any string of unlucky rolls in other games.  eg fail your first three Leadership tests in Warhammer and half your force could have routed off the table.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2021, 12:19:31 AM »
I would love if the handful of fantasy options and rules from Dragon Rampant made it into the Lion Rampant hardback. Maybe a chapter near the end? It seems like a logical inclusion to expand Lion Rampant out to a thick hardback.

Offline craigjwoodfield

• Librarian
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2021, 08:42:55 AM »
Probably outside of the scope of the new edition, but even just a page on late Sengoku Jidai would be very welcome. Many parallels, and I have had some classic LR games with samurai.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2021, 02:30:03 PM »
Probably outside of the scope of the new edition, but even just a page on late Sengoku Jidai would be very welcome. Many parallels, and I have had some classic LR games with samurai.

I would love this as well. One of the beauties of LR, is how simple the rules are requiring such a low page count, while still providing a great time on the game table. It seems to me that an expanded hardback would have plenty of room for all these other options: fantasy, samurai, etc.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2021, 03:33:58 AM »

Not sure how I missed this, but are you the Ronin author? if so, I love those rules too! Cheers!

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2021, 08:57:51 PM »

What rules have you used for samurai retinues?

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2021, 06:18:18 PM »
Is there any more news on this? I'm not on the social medias, so a little behind the curve.
I've thought about buying up the magazines that have the Dark Ages and Samurai rules, but have decided to wait and see what all is offered in 2e. Also, eras like Pikeman's Lament...will that be covered in the new book too? Waiting to see...

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2021, 10:06:43 PM »
Is there any more news on this? I'm not on the social medias, so a little behind the curve.
I've thought about buying up the magazines that have the Dark Ages and Samurai rules, but have decided to wait and see what all is offered in 2e. Also, eras like Pikeman's Lament...will that be covered in the new book too? Waiting to see...

Basically it's on the way. I can't really say more than that. Not that I'm really "in the know". I have corresponded with the authors a wee bit.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 10:08:51 PM by Atheling »

Offline danmer

• Librarian
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2021, 09:47:04 PM »

Hello - publication is due next year. I don't know the month yet, but the manuscript has been with Osprey for about a month. So possibly earlier in the year rather than later but I don't know for sure.

You won't need the Dark Ages magazine article if you buy the second edition, but Samurai are not covered (I don't know much about Samurai warfare .... yet!). No Pikeman's Lament either, this book will just cover Dark Ages and Medieval periods. New material includes optional upgrades for the main troop types, optional battle rules, purchased Leader traits, additional scenarios, two simple campaigns, many more sample armies, and more detail on terrain. Plus clarifications or amendments to some of the rules to make the game clearer or smoother.

Not sure when Osprey will start releasing their promotional material.

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2021, 12:09:25 AM »
Well the optional bits nclude the siege and big battles done by others, and the Chariots/Romans Rampant?

Will it feature the Condotteri as per the article you did around the same time as the dark age article.

Lastly will it cover the optional rules and tweaks covering upto Wars of the Roses which you also did in an article?

Great to see LR being expanded upon :)

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2021, 02:19:18 AM »
I'm also hoping that the Chariots Rampant rules are included, unless you are planning a devoted Bronze Age supplement?
Please? ::)

Offline danmer

• Librarian
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2021, 09:19:29 PM »
The new edition won't include anything from the articles other people have written, just me. Sorry! So that means no Chariots Rampant (not sure I've ever seen that one, which magazine was it in?).

Some of the material I've written for magazines is included, but there's a lot of new material that I've been quietly working on in the background. I didn't want it to just be the old edition plus things you've already read in magazines.