Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:53:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689629
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Lion Rampant 2nd ed HC?  (Read 15827 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Lion Rampant 2nd ed HC?
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2021, 09:15:34 AM »
The new edition won't include anything from the articles other people have written, just me. Sorry!

I think  we can make do with you Dan  ;) :) Always a well trodden playtesting path and always fun :)

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2021, 10:55:37 AM »
The new edition won't include anything from the articles other people have written, just me. Sorry! So that means no Chariots Rampant (not sure I've ever seen that one, which magazine was it in?).

Some of the material I've written for magazines is included, but there's a lot of new material that I've been quietly working on in the background. I didn't want it to just be the old edition plus things you've already read in magazines.

Chariots Rampants and the Roman Punic Wars where in Wargames Soldiers & Strategy, I think issue 80 and 82 respectively.

So sounds like as well as the Dark Age rules, we get the Condotteri and Wars of the Roses, plus the other stuff I can't think off and extras.

You had me at Hardback 2nd Edition, this is more spoilt than a certain brand of confectionary says it does :)

Offline craigjwoodfield

• Librarian
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2021, 10:20:14 AM »
Samurai are not covered (I don't know much about Samurai warfare .... yet!).

Fair enough, makes sense to keep it consistent. Really looking forward to LR 2nd edition, it has been a staple in my gaming circles since it was released and we are still introducing new players.

If you ever want my not completely ignorant opinion on samurai, happy to share my insights.

Cheers

CW

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2021, 10:33:06 AM »
I think Samurai/Sengoku period might stick out a little and seems beyond the academic remit of the book as planned(?). Not that I wouldn't like to see something of that nature. Maybe in a future publication?

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2021, 02:46:21 PM »
Samurai, where covered under Pikemans Lament, the exotic army list I think.

Michael Leck also did an article in Wargames Soldiers and Startegy 92 giving a more indepth adaption for Pikemans Lament. As Pikemans is the offspring of LR then that should cover your bases or you could refine it backwards using Lecks work as a guide for LR we currently have. At worst half the work is done for you :) at best it hits the sweet spot dead on.

Offline craigjwoodfield

• Librarian
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2021, 11:59:18 PM »
I recall reading it, but it didn't hit the spot in my view, and missed some of the key differences between European and Japanese renaissance warfare. But I will try and find a copy before I comment further.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2021, 10:06:03 AM »
I recall reading it, but it didn't hit the spot in my view, and missed some of the key differences between European and Japanese renaissance warfare. But I will try and find a copy before I comment further.

This thought has just occurred to me but I think it might be quite hard to model certain psychological aspects of Japanese warfare be it early-ish Samurai (ie Early Medieval) through to Sengoku Jidai. The weight placed on honour seemed to be of a more extreme nature then that of Early European Medieval warfare. At least that was one of my big take aways from the hefty reading I did about the period some 20 odd years ago.

Am I right? Partially perhaps?

Online Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2021, 08:14:10 AM »
I have been playing Dragon Rampant a fair bit and really enjoying it. Have been close to grabbing a copy of LR but will hold off until 2nd edition is released. Might give me adequate time to get units painted.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2021, 12:02:47 AM »
I wanted to give a quick shout out to the art pieces in the original Lion Rampant book. They're gorgeous and I hope 2e is similar and doesn't lean too fantastical. Also, I like how some of the art only covers half a page. I like that feature in the blue books.

Offline Byrthnoth

• Bookworm
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2021, 03:31:49 PM »
I think that aside from the cover,  all the art in the first edition of Lion Rampant came from earlier Ospreys. I can’t see any reason to change that, although if it’s being expanded into a hardcover that’s its own thing (rather than part of the blue book series), they may decide to commission some more original art for the new book.

Offline danmer

• Librarian
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2021, 02:04:27 PM »
I was shown an entry on Amazon for the Second Edition, price point just under £22 and publication date in July 2022. I've not had this confirmed by Osprey, but as they upload the info to Amazon, I guess it is accurate.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2021, 08:55:49 PM »
I was shown an entry on Amazon for the Second Edition, price point just under £22 and publication date in July 2022. I've not had this confirmed by Osprey, but as they upload the info to Amazon, I guess it is accurate.

Seems like a lot of the standard Amazon thing where they put stuff up with a date a year ahead and move it up when the actual date is confirmed

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones

Online Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2021, 02:17:11 AM »
Terrific looking cover. I will be getting this for sure - but not from Amazon which already shows a five star review - not bad for a book as yet unpublished!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2021, 06:46:02 AM »
Terrific looking cover.

It is  8)

but not from Amazon which already shows a five star review - not bad for a book as yet unpublished!

Which is their usual dodgy business practice.