Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:46:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689499
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 572
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Shtim's Dutch Colonial Adventure - Small House, HMG team, and Civilians (06/01)  (Read 28781 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Shtim's Dutch Colonial Adventure - KNIL troops & More (13/04/23)
« Reply #150 on: April 14, 2023, 08:27:39 AM »
Not necessarily sheltered, just geographically disadvantaged. The Tintin comic strips were massively popular all over the world for decades. Just not in America. Probably because they had their own comic thing going on there, with leaping tall buildings in a single bound and all that stuff. Tintin is quite the veteran, mind. He is actually older than the son of Jor-El.  :)

Really lovely work, Shtim, as is to be expected at this point.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Shtim's Dutch Colonial Adventure - KNIL troops & More (13/04/23)
« Reply #151 on: April 14, 2023, 03:14:19 PM »
Thanks, Plynkes.  Apparently I missed the Spielberg movie.  Now I know more - courtesy of Wikipedia. 

Offline Shtim

• Bookworm
Hello all!

It's been a while since my last post, but I do actually have something to show for it!

The theme of this week? From old to new (or in other words, redoing past builds I was unhappy with/finishing off existing projects before starting something new lol)

First up, I finally got round to working on some of the items bought at Salute50. I came across the MDF terrain by Warbases and couldn't resist the tempation.
Here is a small office to manage/administer the town market. I am yet to finish the interior, but the 'slotted' MDF design is immensely useful and allows me to easily remove the roof - perhaps something to add to my own builds! As always with MDF builds, I added my own detailing to get rid of that MDF look.

Next, I made some good progress on the Ramses cinema. After a lot of back and forth, I settled on two English language films from 1921 for the signage above the door, with posters on either side to match. The lettering adds a lot of character, and I am very pleased with how it turned out. I will probably add something along the lines of "SHOWING TONIGHT" in red on the top line (albeit in Dutch perhaps?) - yet to decide! For now I'm calling this one done.

With the cinema finished, I moved on to the tailor shop ("kleermaker") from my last post. I was really unhappy with how it had turned out in the end - it came across as sloppy and just didn't do it for me. After a lot of umming and ahing I completely redid parts of the façade. And now... well, see for yourself - before and after pictures included below:

Before:

After:

Finally, I got to work on the post office - one of my oldest builds. Similarly to the tailer shop, I had fallen out of love with parts of the building. So, I took the plunge, stripped off certain facade details and got to work. I'm yet to finish this one, still working on some details for the front (lanterns, boxes, a plaque of sorts for on the walls etc.) but the bulk of the work is done. Also including a before and after below - in particular the decorative bricks and eaves at the top of the building.

Letterbox courtesy of Oshiro models - I bought a few things from the "miscast bin" at Salute that I will surely be showing off in the coming months. (All excellent quality, and yes I will happily take a corporate sponsorship  ;)  lol)

Before: (on the right side)

After:

Final view of the improved builds:

Thanks as always!

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Love it  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
Beautiful! You have created an awesome display. Keeps looking better and better. :-*
Mark

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Really lovely buildings. :-*
Sooo, on the tops of a few of the buildings,
I spy some crates.
Inquiring minds would like to know? :-X what is in them.
I see lots of possibilities.
Some body up to no good. >:D,
or other dastardly things. 
Oh, the stories the crates might tell. :-X :D
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
Just be careful how you pack it before you send it to me!  lol lol lol lol
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
very beautiful
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline .:Gunslinger:.

• Scientist
Fantastic work and some very nice improvements made on these buildings (its only after seeing the before/after shots that it is possible to see how the originals could yet be improved)!

I must say I love the idea of a window full of posters, postscards etc. that you had in the old version of the Post Office, maybe something you can redo for another building?

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Nice work - and takes a bit of study to see some of the changes but all good.  Though I'm in the camp in favor of the posters.  I liked them, a bit of 'character' to the scene.  But it is your world and ultimately you are the one who has to be satisfied with the results.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Every thing in this thread is just amazingly inspirational.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
Magnificent! Absolutely top notch! Fantastic buildings with gorgeous figures! Inspirational!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline Shtim

• Bookworm
Thank you all for the kind comments!

[…] I spy some crates.
Inquiring minds would like to know? :-X what is in them.
I see lots of possibilities. Some body up to no good. >:D,
or other dastardly things.  Oh, the stories the crates might tell. :-X :D

The best part? I have plenty more crates to paint!  lol I think they add a great sense of scale, and are very useful in filling otherwise empty spaces! (And yes, very useful to hide your ill gotten gains, secret loot, or… former enemies…?)

[…] I must say I love the idea of a window full of posters, postscards etc. that you had in the old version of the Post Office, maybe something you can redo for another building?

[…] Though I'm in the camp in favor of the posters.  I liked them, a bit of 'character' to the scene.  But it is your world and ultimately you are the one who has to be satisfied with the results.

Not to fear gents, the posters will return! Fully agreed that they add a good bit of character. Once all of the other bits are in (street lanterns, bollards, etc) I will surely add posters too!

Thanks
Shtim

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
Tin-Tin, ooh she was so hot!

I remember her.  Thunderbird!   Smokey is GO when it comes to her!
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
Ah yes - well done to all that!  It all looks quite proper-like...
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"