Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:50:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690933
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 704
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Shtim's Dutch Colonial Adventure - Japanese Forces, KNIL, & A Book Shop (21/04)  (Read 29817 times)

Offline Shtim

• Bookworm
Re: Shtim's Dutch Colonial Adventure - Post Office, Pharmacy, Gate (15/10/2023)
« Reply #180 on: October 18, 2023, 11:12:46 PM »
Thank you all! Always a pleasure reading your kind comments!

… I have been focused more on village style buildings in Java but with a current hol in Bali, there are lots of ideas for more urban styles…

Ah yes, the best source of inspiration is surely found when on holiday! I had a quick look through your post history, but couldn’t find any posts on your Java village terrain. I’d be curious to see!

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Shtim's Dutch Colonial Adventure - Post Office, Pharmacy, Gate (15/10/2023)
« Reply #181 on: October 19, 2023, 01:15:58 AM »
I'm such an old fogey that I don't know how to post, more a follower and commenter than a poster. Current focus is on Mediterranean terrain but that will shift when the TFL Far East theatre book comes out and then the race starts. Following a KNIL KS from Holland atm.

Ah yes, the best source of inspiration is surely found when on holiday! I had a quick look through your post history, but couldn’t find any posts on your Java village terrain. I’d be curious to see!
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Shtim

• Bookworm
Re: Shtim's Dutch Colonial Adventure - Chinese Gate Completed (05/11/2023)
« Reply #182 on: November 05, 2023, 03:50:59 PM »
Thanks all for the kind comments!

Small update today - I thought I would share the completed gate that I made for a family member's 60th.
Not strictly Dutch colonial, but wanted to give an update on the finished piece none the less.

Here is the completed item, with miniature from King & Country:

I was rather happy with the final result, and thankfully the recipient was very pleased as well!

Separately, I finished a bit of a side project this weekend. Still within my Dutch Colonial theme, albeit not strictly historical (mods, let me know if I should remove or post on a different page).
I had become a bid jaded with the amount of painting left on all of my KNIL Dutch Colonial troopers, so thought I would work on something slightly different to get the creative juices flowing.

I present to you, the unhistorical KNIL walker - just a bit of fun before I return back to the usual stuff:

Miniatures from Empress and Woodbine Designs. Walker made by Ironclad Miniatures.

That's all for this week!
Shtim

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #183 on: November 05, 2023, 03:59:58 PM »
Love it  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #184 on: November 05, 2023, 04:32:41 PM »
Seems to me that silliness, even in historical settings, is just fine.  Why, heck, I'd even call it a necessary part of the fun. 

Very cool on your Chinese gate that you found Foo Dogs with the balls on the proper feet (though I think you might have them set up opposite of how they should be - but I'm no expert).

Offline Shtim

• Bookworm
« Reply #185 on: November 06, 2023, 05:37:02 PM »
Thanks Gents!

Seems to me that silliness, even in historical settings, is just fine.  Why, heck, I'd even call it a necessary part of the fun. 

Very cool on your Chinese gate that you found Foo Dogs with the balls on the proper feet (though I think you might have them set up opposite of how they should be - but I'm no expert).

Right you are - a bit of fun adds just enough spice for me to stay engaged!

On the dogs you are definitely correct - they should be reversed!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #186 on: November 07, 2023, 05:59:42 AM »
Continually great work! 👍
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #187 on: November 09, 2023, 01:57:32 AM »
Absolutely fantastic! Incredible! Your craftsmanship is superb!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline Shtim

• Bookworm
Re: Shtim's Dutch Colonial Adventure - Small House, HMG team, and Civilians
« Reply #188 on: January 06, 2024, 02:36:05 PM »
Thank you all for the kind comments and happy new year to everyone!

For those of you who don't follow me on Instagram, I started the year off with a quick picture of the town as it stands today.
Hoping that if you squint a bit, it almost looks like an aerial photo... almost...

I finished off two small projects since my last post.

First of all, a small house produced by our talented fellow forum member Oshiro Models!
I actually managed to snatch this one from the 'miscasts' for sale at Salute50 last year, hence why it looks different to the original.

The roof tiles on the stepped gables had not cast properly, so I decided to cut them off and replace them with simple stone slabs.
(Again just highlighting that I purposely got this damaged model at a discount from the miscast bin, and that this is not to be expected from normal purchases from OshiroModels.co.uk)

Rather happy with how it turned out - it's a fantastic sculpt and will work well to plug any gaps between larger buildings on my board - highly recommend.

I also finished a Vickers HMG team for my Dutch Indies KNIL troops. These are originally british WW1 troops produced by Woodbine designs, with swapped out heads.
Very happy with the result. They are similar in design and scale to my Brigade Schutztruppe which I have used for my KNIL infantry previously.

Finally, for Christmas I received various modelling gifts, the first of which were some Asian civillians produced by Empress.
So far they've been based and undercoated. Scale-wise they're a bit smaller than the rest of my collection, but not overly so... let's put it down to the Dutch being particularly tall.

Thanks, as always!
Shtim

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Excellent  8)

Love what you've done with the miscast. I should get on to some of mine at some point lol

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
Glad to see you’re still knocking it out of the park 😀

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
Your town looks good so far.  Great job on that miscast!
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
The Oshiro house is one on my list too. Great work as always!
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
I do love a Shtim post on this thread, your work is beautiful and inspirational.

A friend just picked up the Empress Dan Sur range from me as part of a group order I made. His will be Vietnamese but I think they are nicely generic for agricultural Asia. I would love to read/see your thoughts on skin and costume colour.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
On those civilians, is that the black primer and then an overspray of white technique?  I think it has an actual name but I'm not sure what it is.  Once painted these figures should make a nice addition to your collection.

Looking lovely as always.