Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:36:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Shtim's Dutch Colonial Adventure - Small House, HMG team, and Civilians (06/01)  (Read 28370 times)

Online Shtim

• Bookworm
Welcome To Shtim's Dutch Colonial Adventure! - Introduction

Over the next few pages I will be taking you through the (slow) progress on my Dutch East Indies project. The Netherlands first colonised what is now known as "Indonesia" in the late 1500's. This initial colonisation effort was little more than a few trading posts operated and maintained by the Dutch East India Company (Vereenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie or VOC).

What started as a humble collection of trade posts eventually became what is now known as the Dutch East Indies - a country with a population of over 60million people and total area of over 1,900,000 km2. Until the Japanese occupation in 1942, the Dutch held the vast majority of the Indonesian Archipelago.

My project is set in between ~1904 (the end of the Aceh war in northern Sumatra) and ~1926 (minor communist uprisings in the indies).

Index

The quality of photos and workmanship dramatically differs (and improves!) over the course of this thread. Below an index of the various projects:

• Palm Trees & Tong Fah Co. Building - Page 1
  • Tong Fah Co. Building Completed & Post Office - Page 2
  • Office Building & Post Office Progress - Page 2
  • Completed Hotel Building & Overview Picture - Page 3
  • Sports Car & Clock Tower - Page 4
  • SHELL Sign, Garage, & Completed Sports Car - Page 4
  • New character models (Archeologist) & Warehouse - Page 5
  • New characters, fuel pump, & picture of the town - Page 6
  • Advertisements/Shop Signs, Village Fountain, & Completed Warehouse - Page 7
  • First Dutch Indies Soldiers - Page 7
  • Building Bases - Page 8
  • New Characters ("The Turk"), the Cinema - Page 8
  • Baggage Carriers, Trees, Finished Cinema - Page 8
  • More Dutch Indies Soldiers & TinTin characters - Page 10
  • Building Upgrades - Fixing Facades and Past Mistakes! - Page 11/b]

My previous thread (https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=125409.msg1599059#msg1599059) I thought it appropriate to start afresh.

First Post:

Since my last post, I repainted my Dutch Colonial Aceh troops. Unhappy with the original paint job, I decided to add additional highlights and a splash of colour. Next I'll probably re-work the bases for all my miniatures - not happy with the drybrush!

In addition, I have been painting some extra characters for my settlement, pictures of which can be seen here:

Once the lighting improves, and I get some time this weekend, Ill take some more pictures of the buildings I have been working on for my Dutch settlement (both unfinished, but a third one on the way!):

Let me know what you guys think!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 02:36:30 PM by Shtim »

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
Re: Shtim's Dutch Colonial Adventure - A fresh start
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 09:29:32 PM »
These are amazing. It's an area/era I'm unfamiliar with so I look forward to this.

My favorite miniatures are the soldier with the glasses and the heavily decorated gentleman in brown and grey uniform.

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 10:34:05 PM »
Great start. I have been very interested in the Dutch East Indies for many years. I have some minis done and more than enough jungle but lack the nice colonial buildings that you have. I look forward to your future work!
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 12:51:15 AM »
Beautiful work!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 08:17:31 PM »
Lovely painting on those minis and some superb buildings as well. Wonderful start.  :-* :-*

Offline pauld

• Scientist
  • Being disintegrated makes me very angry!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 08:18:42 PM »
Amazing stuff.

They all look splendid - I'm very jealous  :)
No dear, they are not toys, they are models

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2021, 08:14:19 AM »
Looks FANTASTIC!  I'm very excited to see more.  I remember your previous thread when you first started, and to be honest your figures looked great to me back then, but what matters most is how they look to you, so well done!
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2021, 08:32:14 AM »
Those building are excellent.

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2021, 10:12:11 PM »
Absolutely beautiful..checkout the Dutch Docu Channel on FB. Tons of photos.

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 01:24:31 PM »
I tried to get a range for the Aceh Wars but couldn't afford it any longer and there wasn't much interest.
Mark

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2021, 08:30:25 PM »
Very nice project you are working on. Best wishes going forward.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2021, 09:32:06 AM »
Looking at those photos I think that many of the War of The Triple Alliance (Uruguay, Argentina, Brazil VS Paraguay) would work for some native militias. Also quite a wide variety Moro, Indian mutiny, Arab or Asian pirate figures can pass as the Indonesian natives.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +95

Online Shtim

• Bookworm
Re: Shtim's Dutch Colonial Adventure - Finishing off the modular trees
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2021, 12:22:43 PM »
Thank you all for the kind words! Very encouraging :D

My favorite miniatures are the soldier with the glasses and the heavily decorated gentleman in brown and grey uniform.

Oops! That's supposed to be a red uniform that has faded over the years following retirement...!! Back to the drawing board  ;)

Very little progress to report on this week from me.

First off, I finished the trunks/bases for my modular palm trees. Quick paint job on the bases, then added some flock, flowers, and grass tufts, and added some matt varnish to tone down the gloss on the plastic palm leaves. I'll probably add a green drybrush to the leaves at some point for some colour variation:

I also started work on a larger modular tree base. Not quite happy with how it looks yet, but I am still in the process of adding some more trees, grass, and colour.
I'm very torn on whether I should use static grass (and invest in a static grass applicator) or continue using flock instead.. plus - I never know how much ground to leave exposed/cover in vegetation. Any tips or feedback would be most appreciated!

Finally, I got my hands on some corrugated card to finish the WIP build from last time. I will be using this as corrugated iron plates for simple roofing across the town. I am yet to add orange rust, but the paintjob is done for the most part (except for a final drybrush on the wooden roof).

Looking at those photos I think that many of the War of The Triple Alliance (Uruguay, Argentina, Brazil VS Paraguay) would work for some native militias. Also quite a wide variety Moro, Indian mutiny, Arab or Asian pirate figures can pass as the Indonesian natives.

Ah excellent!! Do you have any manufacturers in mind? Always looking for new miniatures!

As always, any pictures, interesting facts, or sources about the Dutch Indies are more than appreciated!!

Thanks,
Shtim
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 12:24:26 PM by Shtim »

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
Of course it's faded red! Outstanding work continues, I do like those palm tree stands.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
You continue to make cool stuff! I have to resist getting into another genre! Must. Resist.

Brilliant work. It is tough to decide flock or grass and just how much dirt exposed. No truly right answer, just trust your instincts I think and keep tinkering until it feels right.